Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

I would like to have a batch defrag system. Automatically defragging the following drives by order, instead of clicking each drive to defrag.

and defragging 2 or 3 drives at the same time.

Stopping takes time on large files. a fix could be better.

Thanks for this software.

This application is fantastic and i love it, so thanks a bunch for creating it and making it free to use.

The only thing i wish to add would be a "select files in file-list by matching a string"

Let me explain :

- After you analyze a drive,

- Right click the "File List" tab header and add a popup menu

- Add a option called "select by name" or something similar

- Popup a toolbar window with a one-line edit, and a select button

- You can add some radio-button to switch between "standard wildcards" and regular expressions (perl or anything)

- For each file in the file-list, select it if its name matches the string, deselect it otherwise.

I'm used to defrag only the critical files (database files, executable files, game's main data files). Being able to select a bunch of files using only a single search would be of uttermost help to me, as i often spend minutes looking for the files i want to defrag and select them.

I wish someone hears me :)

In earlier posts it's been pointed out that most of

the suggestions asked in this forum can be done with the use of the df.exe

However df.exe lacks seriously the functionality of the Defraggler.exe

for example there should be a switch for "files only defragmentation" as opposed to

full defragmentation - space defrag etc

Can you please add further switches to the df.exe so that it can replicate

most of the functionality of the Defraggler.exe ???

thanks

i have some suggestions:

When you click on a box it will take you to the file so you know what box(s) is what file(s).

Also, when ever i run it it never defrags whole hard drive, it always leaves the big files untouched and unmoved to the out side.(yes i did check off to move to out edge)

And if you could make it so when you press the X or _ you make it go to the system tray, and i order to close it you must right click and do exit program.

Those are just suggestions id like to make becuase they bothered me or i thought would make defraggler a better program.

Hmhm - "Theory" for a Combination between Defraggler & Recuva :rolleyes:

defraggler-blocks.jpg

- More functionallity for the graphical Block View (Clusterviewer) select more than one Block (for both)

- Select Blocks and Drag&Drop to a Free Space or another Partition (for both) (alike in the Vopt 9.08 Defragger)

http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/V...nshot-6165.html

- Different Color Option for all Filetypes (for both)

- Show recovery/deleted Files in Graphic Viewer ON/OFF (for both)

- Introduce in Recuva a graphical Interface, with Selecting, Click & Search Option

cheers :blink::)

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

My suggestions-

When moving a file larger than a specified size, show a progress bar displaying the progress of moving the file.

Offer 2 options: Defrag and Quick Defrag. Quick defrag would be equivalent to selecting all of the fragmented files and defragging them.

Allow users to go back to the file list while defragging files.

Close the 'Highlighted items' tab as soon as a user navigates away from it.

Show the colors as the analysis is taking place, gradually.

I don't know whether these had been mentioned before but I would like to suggest 3 improvements:

1) To add the feature to move a large folder (game folder etc) to the end of the drive. Currently we can only move selected large files.

2) To remember the panel sizes so that we don't need to resize them every time.

3) To display the color legend, maybe besides the pie chart diagram below so that we don't need to go inside to check again and again. Just can't remember those. Nowadays everybody's got a big screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Since this is a BETA software program and touching the REGISTY is almost blasphemy, LOL, is it really wise for us to be using a BETA program on our delicate and sancorsant registries? :unsure:

I just wonder about the logic and wisdom of such an act. No offense or disrespect intended as I love PIRIFORM immensely, truly. :D

Are you saying that Defraggler version: 1.07.124 is in Beta?????

Yeah, I didn't think that Defraggler was still in Beta... If so it's really stable... LOL

I have a feature request though. How about an option to sort the File List on the columns when it is Defraging the drive. It still shows the File List, but when you just go to Defrag the drive, it seems to lock sorting...

That would be pretty handy.

Thanks. :)

Another handy feature would be to have Defraggler make a note somewhere as to what sort of Defrag you chose (For long running stuff like a full Defrag). It can take a long time, and sometimes you forget if you just did a full defrag, or a defrag of free space, etc. Maybe change the title of the form? Although I still think the percentage should populate the title, as if the form is minimized you have no idea what it's doing.

Also, when defraging individual files, the option to move selected files to the end of the drive should apply and move these files to the end of the drive when stipulated.

Also, the option to move all files in a directory to the end of the drive would be handy. I'm thinking for the System Volume Information specifically. Maybe as a default option?

I join the cause of those of you who asked for the undoubtedly useful features of:

* Defrag <only> when idle, in the background

* Defrag files smaller than/bigger than/between X and X KBs

* Minimize to tray

Defraggler rocks now, but with those implemented, it would rock *even* more :lol:

Cheeeers

What? Is that the date it came out of Beta? I'm a bit confused...

Thanks,

No, it's the date the post that said it was a beta software was posted.

Piriform French translator

Defraggler has an option to move files of certain file extensions to the end of the drive. I would also suggest a feature to move certain specific files (not by extension, but by specific file or folder) toward the beginning of the drive. The leading edge (beginning) of the average hard drive has more than twice the read speed of the inner track (end of drive) because the platters are moving under the head at a much higher speed, and it would be beneficial to be able to store specific resources here, such as pagefile.sys, hibrfile.sys, or a specific folder's contents such as a game or Windows itself. This would optimize the access speed of those frequently-used resources.

Defraggler has an option to move files of certain file extensions to the end of the drive. I would also suggest a feature to move certain specific files (not by extension, but by specific file or folder) toward the beginning of the drive. The leading edge (beginning) of the average hard drive has more than twice the read speed of the inner track (end of drive) because the platters are moving under the head at a much higher speed, and it would be beneficial to be able to store specific resources here, such as pagefile.sys, hibrfile.sys, or a specific folder's contents such as a game or Windows itself. This would optimize the access speed of those frequently-used resources.

That would be a handy feature for some things I guess. I don't think that Defraggler would be able to move the pagefile.sys or hiberfile.sys though, as they would likely be in use by Windows (Hence the inability of Defraggler to Defrag them). Other files though this should work for. Not the Volume Information either, but you would probably want this at the end of the drive rather than the front...

Rather than defragmenting one drive after another, allow the user to select multiple drives and defrag them at the same time.

Yes this would require more resources, but as long as you are not doing anything intensive it shouldn't matter because defragmenting takes almost no cpu usage. Though it will takes a bit of ram. So in turn it will defrag all of the selected drives much faster than if it was to defrag each one at a time but your computer would slow during defraging.

Also,

Disk management snap in for computer management in windows allows you to perform operations on multiple drives simultaneously, for instance you can format one drive, change the letter of another, and do many other things at the same time or while other processes are already running. If you could do this in defragggler than it would make it easier to use the program, check one disk for consistency, defrag free space on another, and defragment a third drive rather than having to wait for it to finish it's current operation before you can do anything else with the program.

I have two suggestions:

1. Allow the sort operation in the file list during the defrag process, currently its impossible.

2. Add new feature for defrag multiple partitions (one after the other), and then shut down the computer.

Thanks