HTML5 web storage aka localStorage - how to whitelist?

honestbleeps

Hello there,

I develop a browser extension that requires HTML5 localStorage for a specific domain (reddit.com). Now that I have a lot of users (in the few thousand range), I'm finding that those running things like BetterPrivacy and CCleaner are losing their settings any time they restart their browser and/or computer.

It looks like CCleaner recently added a way to clean out HTML5 localStorage -- all fine and good, but I can't seem to find anything in the documentation about being able to whitelist localStorage the way you can whitelist specific cookies. Is there any way to do this?

If not, I think it's a pretty important feature to add, as web applications, browser extensions etc have very legitimate uses for this type of storage. Not all cookie and localStorage use is nefarious.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide...

• Moderators

Hello there,

I develop a browser extension that requires HTML5 localStorage for a specific domain (reddit.com). Now that I have a lot of users (in the few thousand range), I'm finding that those running things like BetterPrivacy and CCleaner are losing their settings any time they restart their browser and/or computer.

It looks like CCleaner recently added a way to clean out HTML5 localStorage -- all fine and good, but I can't seem to find anything in the documentation about being able to whitelist localStorage the way you can whitelist specific cookies. Is there any way to do this?

If not, I think it's a pretty important feature to add, as web applications, browser extensions etc have very legitimate uses for this type of storage. Not all cookie and localStorage use is nefarious.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide...

First question: Where on the computer does HTML5 localstorage get saved? (be specific e.g. %appdata%\xxxx, cookies folder, etc). The only place I could find a reference to localstorage was in Safari's Cookie Cleaning (%localappdata%\Apple Computer\Safari\LocalStorage|*.*

)

Second Question: does this occur in only WebKit-based browsers or does it occur in other browsers as well (Please list them if so)

These questions should aid us in figuring out a better way for users not to lose their information. . . andf/or help the developers come up with a stragegy for making sure stuff's not lost.

CCleaner does have a Include/Exclude but you would have to explicitly tell your users to use the exclude section and the exact file or folder that they should be excluding.

Remember two things. 1) we who are answering are just volunteers here 2) the developers of CCleaner read every post so they will either chime in and/or add some sort of mechanism, provided of course that we can get everything answered that needs to be answered.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

First question: Where on the computer does HTML5 localstorage get saved? (be specific e.g. %appdata%\xxxx, cookies folder, etc). The only place I could find a reference to localstorage was in Safari's Cookie Cleaning (%localappdata%\Apple Computer\Safari\LocalStorage|*.*

)

Second Question: does this occur in only WebKit-based browsers or does it occur in other browsers as well (Please list them if so)

These questions should aid us in figuring out a better way for users not to lose their information. . . andf/or help the developers come up with a stragegy for making sure stuff's not lost.

CCleaner does have a Include/Exclude but you would have to explicitly tell your users to use the exclude section and the exact file or folder that they should be excluding.

Remember two things. 1) we who are answering are just volunteers here 2) the developers of CCleaner read every post so they will either chime in and/or add some sort of mechanism, provided of course that we can get everything answered that needs to be answered.

Thanks for the response...

It occurs in both webkit browsers and firefox.

I was able to track down the filename in Firefox - it goes in your user profile directory (varies by OS), and it's called webappsstore.sqlite

I can't seem to find solid information on Chrome or Safari, but I'm sure it's in a similar file, probably also sqlite I'd guess.

• Moderators

would you be willing to (either or both) do some extra testing for us and/or give at least one moderator (or winapp2.ini if he's willing) access to your app to do some testing? Basically it involves unchecking everything in ccleaner, and check each item one at a time starting with the obvious ones (personally I'd say firefox>Compress databases or cookies would be a starting point) for each of the browsers. do a clean and see if the file goes missing. Also are you sure that it's not listed in the cookies section of ccleaner?

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\*.profiles|webappsstore.sqlite

edit:

whoops, I didn't read the thread. :lol: I have an entry that effects that file, if it has a winapp1.ini equivalent, I would assume it to be compact databases.

I checked and under the assumption that SpecialKey1=N_MOZ_COMPACT_DATABASES effects all sqlite files, that would most likely be it. I will test it out if you'd like, but for now I'd recommend you tell your users to not compact databases.

I think that since the inclusion of html5, Piriform should separate this option from the normal ones.

edit 3:

I'm like a deity, you just need to say my name in a thread and I appear!

Edited by Winapp2.ini

• Moderators

So I guess the request here is to have control of webappsstore as is given for cookies (also we should find out where safari, chrome save these files, as well as ie9 when it drops next week.

So I guess the request here is to have control of webappsstore as is given for cookies (also we should find out where safari, chrome save these files, as well as ie9 when it drops next week.

Yep, that's exactly it... it'd be awesome if CCleaner supported the exclusion of "HTML5 cookies" aka DOM Storage - especially if it could be done on a per-site basis.. My understanding is that BetterPrivacy (a firefox addon) has this capability.

• Moderators

Don't know if this thread may be of interest here.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=28116

Not sure if MrT's remark was about looking into the original topic subject or the error on the Piriform page.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 months later...

+1 to the request for being able to whitelist localstorage per domain name, this is really essential for HTML5 web apps,

the simplest implementation (user interface wise) would be to just merge the functionality of whitelisting cookies, with that of localstorage.

so if the user whitelists cookies for a domain, it would also whitelist localstorage for that domain, after all localstorage is kind of like a "super cookie"

Hi everyone,

The "Cookies to Keep" list is also used to keep any local storage data.

Thanks

ahhh ok, i think i might have made a mistake then.

it seems i had added "facebook.com" to the cookies to keep section, but omitted to add "www.facebook.com" to the cookies to keep section, once i had done that, CCleaner's cookie whitelist function worked fine.

thanks for the reply.