Deleted file on network drive.

Probala

I need the process to recover the deleted Excel file on a Western Digital My Cloud network drive.  Recuva doesn't seem to allow for this "specific Location" entry.

How do you get to designate the network drive?  The name of the drive/folder is \\Dewoverxx\yyy.

• Moderators

see documentation here; http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva/introducing-recuva/what-it-can-and-cant-do

in particular, the last bullet point under Recuva Cannot:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thank you.  Now all I have to do is find out how to hook my NAS to the computer directly.  It does have an ethernet and a USB port but the computer (Win 10) does not recognize the dirve as a drive that way.  I wonder if I have to use a crossover ethernet cable or not.  I will research this.  Thanks again.

• Moderators

don't think you are on the right path @Probala

it's not an issue of directly connecting the NAS to the PC, the issue is your hard drive ITSELF has to be physically connected.

so it will need either removing from the NAS and installing internally into the PC or inserted into an external driver caddy which in turn connects to the PC via USB.

and to throw in another spanner, your WD NAS may use a proprietary file system or a RAID format which would render the drive as unreadable in a Windows PC.

another point to consider, is making sure you don't change the NAS drive in a way that when you put it back, the WD doesn't do something stupid and think it needs some sort of 'special attention'.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.