defrag does not complete on external drive

Possum

I have updated the latest free Piriform defragger. When I defrag my tower unit all is fine. When I defrag my LeCie external drive, it just locks up sometimes at 90%, 60% or 10% even after I let it go for hours even changing my power saving to never. Last time I let it go for over 7 hrs and nothing had moved on the mapping. When I first do analysis, it shows 7% fragmented. Is my external LeCie busted? The program works as it backsup my PC but not the external drive when selected to defrag. Anyway to test the LeCie? Should I delete all the files (backups from the PC only) on the LeCie and try again? Is there something in preferences that might need to be selected, or do I need to contact LeCie? Thanks, Possum.

• Moderators

having just gone through some weird stuff happening on my PC, it all came down to a failing HDD.

do a chkdsk x: /f  (changing x: to your Lacie drive) from a command prompt to check the drives' integrity.

mind you, I did that, it found nothing but the drive still played up.

they cost peanuts these days, plus if the drive is anything over 2 or 3 years old, heck, don't waste your time, replace it.

but if cost is a high concern AND the only stuff on that drive came from the PC, then you could try a low-level reformat (not a quick format) and that will wipe all data with the added benefit that if it finds bad sectors, they will get locked and not cause more hassles.

but when you start not trusting a storage device, do you really want to still be using it..... as your backup!!!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.