Defrag MFT and Metadata for non-locked drives

Actually, it should be able to defragment anything accessible by the operating system. The reason for leaving the MFT, registry hives and other important system data alone is that 1) it's most likely in use at the moment anyway (on the host drive) and 2) moving around system files while the system is running is probably not a good idea.

However, there are a couple of defragmenters that do just that. One I know of is Diskeeper. The older versions had a Boot-time Defragmentation option that would defragment your folders, pagefile (which can become a serious headache when fragmented) and MFT at boot time when windows is not running (yet). Microsoft themselves puts out a tool (Pagedefrag) which does the same thing to just your pagefile. Another program I've seen includes your registry hives. It's all possible, it's just not done for safety reasons.

That said, I too would be a fan of seeing a Defraggler version that defragmented everything. I use BartPE a lot to help bring computers back to life. One of the steps I take is to defragment their drives (which are usually SEVERELY fragmented), but I'm limited to defragmenting most of their drive since Defraggler won't touch those system files. If someone could make a release that recognized the system drive (%system%) defragmented everything NOT on that drive (i.e. C: is system and you're defragmenting D: or something), that would really be awesome. It would also be easy to implement as the tags would only need to have the %system% flags and whatnot placed in front of them, rather than just listing the file/folder name only in the safety table. Anyone from Piriform have a comment?