CCleaner for Linux?

Ishi

Since we now have CCleaner for Windows then recently for Mac, would it be nice if we have CCleaner for Linux? I'm a Linux user too. I know some people in this forum are too. I love CCleaner, though Linux have this program called Bleechbit available for download, I've always loved the feel of CCleaner nicer to me.

I have installed CCleaner on a Linux with the help of Wine (a program that puts a Windows virtual environment for Linux so you could install Windows programs) but it could only clean the section inside the Wine thing.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I've only tried a couple of Linux distros, and the directory structure appeared to be similar, but I'm wondering, with the myriad of distros available, would the directory structures stick to some standard pattern or would some of them differ from each other?

Just a thought.

Well there are distros that usually come smaller or less complex than others. There are distros that came preinstalled with lots of apps, some don't. Peppermint in particular does not come preinstalled with Open Office unlike Ubuntu or Linux Mint but has a number of cloud apps preinstalled (on the version I tried) and its has a smaller ISO file. There are distros with only 50MB ISOs suggesting they are less complex operating systems when installed.

I'd assume the directories on many distros are comparable but some with the addition or subtraction of folders relating to programs natively available or unavailable with them.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I too want to focus on the Directory system of linux's in my answer. However I'm taking an opposite viewpoint. The DS is different for every distrib (e.g. some store everything in /etc others is /usr/bin) I think the best you're going to get is ccleaner for ubuntu or for redhat as opposed to LinuxUniverse as a whole.

That said Bleachbit works great on linux

And as usual

The developers read and consider all Idea so it's not out of the realm of possibility

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

The distro I use is Linux Mint 9 Gnome edition and it uses the /usr/bin type of directory.

There are lots of open source apps that already made themselves available for Linux, that includes Mozilla (usually comes preinstalled by default), Google Chrome, VLC Media Player, Thunderbird, Gimp and many others. And CCleaner seems like a perfect match to go if it can be installed on any system where these apps could be installed.

CCleaner is the most popular maintenance tool out there for free and I think its only right that it could be installed on most operating systems that need a tool to clean or tweak itself.

I think a lot of Windows users who use Linux would be glad if they could use CCleaner on a Linux too. If the apps that CCleaner often cleans can be installed on a Linux, CCleaner has a right to take its place in there too.

sudo apt-get install ccleaner, eh?

I rarely ever use the sudo apt-get install command. Well I used it a few days ago to install JDK on Linux but I install most of my software (including Google Chrome and VLC) from the Software Manager and that downloads and installs the software for me without the hassle of those command line tricks.

The only way I could think of them cleaning on linux would be to compile a massive list of programs and where they leave their tempfiles.

Don't forget system logs and temp files plus browsing history caches. Linux also have "orphaned packages" left by removed programs. Those needed cleaning too. :)

I'll enlist in that army then. :lol:

The directory structure is pretty much identical across **most** Linux distros. There may be some exceptions that I'm not aware of.

If you're gonna create a Linux version, please DO NOT release it as a tarball (i.e. ccleaner.tar.gz). You can release it as a debian package (ccleaner.deb) or a Red Hat Package (ccleaner.rpm) or a binary package is fine also (ccleaner.bin). Tarballs are difficult to work with.

I'm looking forwards to the day when I can install CCleaner on my linux machine.

Much thanks in advance.