Recuva Deep Scan Estimated Time Issues

PPMD

Good day to all! It's my first time in this forum and I hope someone can help me out.

Background on my issue: I have  a 1TB WD external hard drive that can only be detected as local disk E: on 2 laptops (my external hard drive has been renamed, so usually the name is displayed once I plug it in.) Once you click on it nothing happens until the laptop eventually hangs. 

I downloaded Recuva and did a regular scan but not all my files were seen and the file names were all jumbled up. So, right now, I'm doing a deep scan for ALL files. I'm on my 3rd day of deep scan with 20,785 files found and right now its at 26% with estimated time of 9 days (the days fluctuate every now and then). I know that something is happening since last night it was only 25%, but I'm just worried about my laptop being open for 9 more days straight. Also, concerned about the estimated time... maybe something could hasten the work like separately scanning the file types? Would that work? 

Also, is it normal for it to take this long? Should I abort or wait it out until it finishes? If I abort, what do I do next --- should I scan separately for file types?

Any input or suggestions regarding making the estimated time shorter or safeguarding my laptop would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch! :)

P.S. I am not at all techie so if you could simplify your responses, that would be great too. Thanks again! :)