Microsoft Security Advisory (2661254) Update For Minimum Certificate Key Length

John Grey

On Tuesday 14th we will Get this update:

Microsoft Security Advisory (2661254)

Update For Minimum Certificate Key Length

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2661254

There is a “warning” about this at Heise and in the suggested actions M$ warns:

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Could there be a problem for ccleaner Users with this?

If you think this is a foolish question, just type NO

On Tuesday 14th we will Get this update:

Microsoft Security Advisory (2661254)

Update For Minimum Certificate Key Length

http://technet.micro...dvisory/2661254

There is a “warning” about this at Heise and in the suggested actions M$ warns:

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

My first question was "What or Who is Heise"

A link would have been nice, instead of a search that initially showed me Deviant Art results before I got to

http://www.h-online.com/security/

I still have not seen their warning - but I do give up easy.

The Microsoft update does NOT involve the use of the registry editor.

CCleaner Users therefore cannot be affected unless they choose act as Enterprise Administrators,

and manually supervise and specifically control the update and its impact on their systems, as per

Additional Suggested Actions

As Hazel stated, this update has already been pushed out.

My first question was "What or Who is Heise"

A link would have been nice, instead of a search that initially showed me Deviant Art results before I got to

http://www.h-online.com/security/

I still have not seen their warning - but I do give up easy.

The Microsoft update does NOT involve the use of the registry editor.

CCleaner Users therefore cannot be affected unless they choose act as Enterprise Administrators,

and manually supervise and specifically control the update and its impact on their systems, as per

As Hazel stated, this update has already been pushed out.

Not only did I copy the MS Warning into my question, even you yourself copied it in your answer.

So, MS themselves tell us in that warning, that this update can very well interfere with the registry. And I am quite certain, that you do not know what is or is not instaaled on my computer?

And the update was not "pushed" out, it has been offered as an option, but as heise Sec tells me, it will be "pushed" out in October, that is why I asked. And as I simply did not know, I also wrote a simple "No" will do....

Not only did I copy the MS Warning into my question, even you yourself copied it in your answer.

I was asking about the warning from Heisse, NOT the microsoft warning.

So, MS themselves tell us in that warning, that this update can very well interfere with the registry.

You have NOT understood the warning

http://technet.micro...dvisory/2661254

The context plainly shows that this is NOT addressed to normal users,

but is appropriate for Enterprise Administrators (and end users that like to dabble),

who might wish to determine before hand whether any certificates will be too short,

and who MIGHT like to address the situation by manually importing a value into a registry key,

and as good practice, BEFORE providing text that may be copy/pasted and imported to the registry,

the warning is given before the text.

Downloaded CCCleaner322 free edition and can not get it to install. Why am I having this trouble? I have used many versions of this program on this computer. How can I get this to install. I press RUN , and CCCleaner v3.22 ,Startup stops, after 2 seconds and is running but not installing??