CCleaner thinks Chrome is open...

Raygereio

...when it isn't.

When CCleaner runs in the background, it skips Chrome. If I run CCleaner with the UI open, I get a popup saying Google Chrome needs to be closed. Even when it is closed. There are no Chrome related processes running. The 'Continue running background apps when Chrome is closed' setting is disabled and so is cloud print.

If I have CCleaner close Chrome in that same popup the CCleaner seems to become completely inactive. It doesn't freeze or hang, it just doesn't do anything while "closing application" is busy animating.

• Moderators

What operating system are you using?

What build of Ccleaner?

If you look in Windows Task Manager when Ccleaner tells you to close Chrome do you see any Chrome processes running? (make sure you look under the Processes tab and not the Applications tab)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I solved my problem. See below.

What operating system are you using?

What build of Ccleaner?

If you look in Windows Task Manager when Ccleaner tells you to close Chrome do you see any Chrome processes running? (make sure you look under the Processes tab and not the Applications tab)

Win 10 Pro v1511

CCleaner Free v5.22.5724

And there were no Chrome processes running under the processes tab.

However, Windows 10 added a Details tab to the Taskmanger and there was a Chrome task hiding itself.

In case anyone's comes looking here with a similar problem: It pointed old_chrome.exe. This executable should have been deleted after Chrome finished updating itself, but something broke and it stuck around.

I solved it by going into Taskmanager and disabling Chrome's update tasks. Rebooting the machine. And then deleting old_chrome.exe (there's an automated tool for that). And finally re-enabling Chrome's update tasks.

Voila. CCleaner can clean Chrome again.

• Moderators

is this worth adding to the pinned topic covering Chrome and it's cleaning?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 11 months later...