RAPR- DriverStore Explorer 0.8.4.2 Released

siliconman01

If you use DriverStore Explorer to maintain your %Windows%\System32\DriverStore files, a new release version 0.8.4.2 is available at :

https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• 2 months later...

I've just discovered this program for the first time elsewhere, was about to post about it here after freeing up 5gb of space on my drive with it! Why is this program not more widely known?! (or perhaps, why doesn't Windows periodically free up this space itself). Great little program :)

• 1 year later...

The latest version 0.9.39 is available at 

Edited by siliconman01
Corrected version number mistype.

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• 1 month later...

The latest version 0.10.9 is now available

9 hours ago, Andavari said:

What is the appeal of using it? And does it have the potential of breaking something, or bricking the Windows installation?

I use it mainly to delete old nVidia driver stuff after each driver update, which uses up a load of space over time. Other stuff it lists, at least on my laptop, is barely worth bothering with.

On 2/22/2019 at 08:17, Andavari said:

What is the appeal of using it? And does it have the potential of breaking something, or bricking the Windows installation?

So far it has worked great for providing an easy method of deleting old drivers from the DriverStore folder.  Several driver updaters do not remove the previous driver when a new version is installed....which is pretty much standard so you can rollback to the previous version if necessary.  You have to ensure that the new driver is working okay before using RAPR.  Like JDPower, the largest driver reclaim is the 700+ mbyte driver packages of Nvidia.   If you try to delete a driver that is in use, RAPR will block you from deleting that driver.  

Be careful about update Nvidia GPU drivers because Nvidia has been making major modifications to encapsulate their new RTX graphics cards.  And this is causing a lot of problems for many users.  For example, I am stuck at V417.71 on my systems with the 700 and 900 series cards because any version above that randomly crashes or hangs in memory.  

RAPR.png

• Moderators

Good to know, got burned by Nvidia drivers causing issues multiple times on the old WinXP computer (years ago) through two different display cards. Since I don't game at all on this Win10 laptop and never will I really have no need for wanting their newest driver.

• 4 months later...

DriverStore Explorer is now named Driver Store Explorer and is up to version 0.10.43

im lucky :-)

i have try it and my screen is empty :-) no old drivers from nvidia. perhaps i was good to my laptop in the years i have it :-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

1 hour ago, trium said:

im lucky :-)

i have try it and my screen is empty :-) no old drivers from nvidia. perhaps i was good to my laptop in the years i have it :-)

If the screen is empty it's not working, should be a list of drivers showing, regardless of whether they're old or not.

"no entry loaded" + "there are one or more open sessions" ?

ah, after a while ... there alot of stuff :-) after refresh is the screen white :-(

something seems hanging in my w8.1 with rapr

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

2 hours ago, trium said:

"no entry loaded" + "there are one or more open sessions" ?

ah, after a while ... there alot of stuff :-) after refresh is the screen white :-(

something seems hanging in my w8.1 with rapr

"No entry loaded" at startup is normal, it usually takes 5-10 second to load (maybe longer). Same if you click refresh.

"There are one or more open sessions" suggests you've multiple copies of the program running, check task manager to make sure there's not a copy running/hanging in the background.

20 hours ago, JDPower said:

"No entry loaded" at startup is normal, it usually takes 5-10 second to load (maybe longer). Same if you click refresh.

yes, i see ... after longer while :-)

20 hours ago, JDPower said:

"There are one or more open sessions" suggests you've multiple copies of the program running, check task manager to make sure there's not a copy running/hanging in the background.

no, only one. but i think rapr think it during the search process that another rapr runs... :-)

perhaps the hdspace freeup is not the right amount it shows me? 10 gb only with nvidia?

i have 38 nvidia entrys with 280 mb or so. i think i dont have installed it so many times :-)) one seems the actually one to be with 399 mb. and one is the intels driver.

can i really delete this many "entrys"?

what is with the other stuff?

can i see the actually used driver for whatever and can delete the other stuff?

-> driver-date and driver-version?

delete rapr all the stuff of choosed old driver?

-> as i looked the nvidia installer seems to be as an *.inf + *.pnf and the folder

6 hours ago, trium said:

can i really delete this many "entrys"?

You don't delete EVERYTHING. After it's loaded drivers you can click the "Select old drivers" button and that will tick entries that probably aren't needed and can delete them if you want. Drivers which were installed on the computer when you got it may not be able to be deleted, so don't try to force delete any that it says can't be deleted. But as with anything like this, the risk is yours, make sure you have backups in case it all goes wrong. Personally I only use it to delete old nVidia drivers (which took up a big chunk of space), anything else takes up such negligible space it's not worth messing anything up for.

You can go to the Control Panel>Nvidia Control Panel to determine which version of the Nvidia software that is currently installed on your system.  

NvidiaDriverVersion.png

• 2 months later...

Driver Store Explorer is at v0.10.54