ccleaner and missing mui reference...

Autumn

Good Day,

I am using ccleaner 2.24.1010.

In the registry section with all boxes checked, I am continually getting the following problem.

Missing MUI Reference @C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui,-4004 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

I have attempted to remove it several time without success. I have never had this happen before and have been running 2.24 for quite some time. When I scan my computer, "mstsc.exe.mui" is where it belongs. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Perhaps I didn't phrase my question properly.

I have "fixed the issue" several times and it keeps on showing up again as an issue. Of course, I backed up the registry each time. How do I resolve the fact that the issue keeps recurring? Or, could it be a false positive?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

Hi Autumn, and welcome to Piriform.

"mstsc.ex" is a file which resides in System32, and it's the Remote Desktop Connection GUI:

When it's launched you get this:

jn4Vb.jpg

A little research tells me that it can get corrupted by an upgrade of SP1 to SP2 in Vista. It can also be affected by Installing IE8 with XP SP3. One or two things really.

The solution is to replace it.

Can you tell us which Operating System you're using, and have you recently done any upgrading, and can you check in "C:\WINDOWS\System32", and see if you have an mstsc.exe file?

IF so, double click it and you should get the above GUI. If it's corrupt or missing, it seems to be easy to fix.

You're also using an old version of CCleaner. If that's intentional, that's fine. If not, you can update CCleaner here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Hi Autumn, and welcome to Piriform.

"mstsc.ex" is a file which resides in System32, and it's the Remote Desktop Connection GUI:

When it's launched you get this:

jn4Vb.jpg

A little research tells me that it can get corrupted by an upgrade of SP1 to SP2 in Vista. It can also be affected by Installing IE8 with XP SP3. One or two things really.

The solution is to replace it.

Can you tell us which Operating System you're using, and have you recently done any upgrading, and can you check in "C:\WINDOWS\System32", and see if you have an mstsc.exe file?

IF so, double click it and you should get the above GUI. If it's corrupt or missing, it seems to be easy to fix.

You're also using an old version of CCleaner. If that's intentional, that's fine. If not, you can update CCleaner here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Dennis,

Thanks so much for the reply. I went to the System32 folder...double clicked on mstsc.exe and got the same GUI that you referenced above.

I am using IE7 in XP SP3. I had the new version of CCleaner installed and uninstalled it and replaced it with 2.24. I will install the newest version and see what happens. I will post back if I am still having problems.

I have been using CCleaner for a long time and find it to be a great program. I also might be running the Registry cleaner too often. I see from a couple of other posts on these forums that should be done infrequently. Do you agree with that?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

Hi Autumn.

At least we now know it isn't a corrupted or missing file generating that repetitive "Registry Issues" problem.

I'll wait until you post back before I start looking for other causes. In other words I don't have a "plan B" yet. :D

This previous post is how I run CCleaner.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...st&p=154858

You might get some input here from other members on how they use it.

Dennis,

Sorry to say...the bugger has returned. I have been away on a family issue, ran ccleaner last night...and our old pal is there. Since we last spoke, I reinstalled Java correctly and reinstalled v.226 of ccleaner. When we were working on this before, the missing reference would appear after I "fixed" it, closed and reopened ccleaner. Now, it only reappears on reboot. I also use MRU Blaster...but have been using it for ages. I use MRU Blaster after I use clceaner.

I guess I could put it in the "ignore" list in the .ini file. Or, we could go to your Plan B???

Thanks for all of your help...and SORRY.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

Hi Autumn.

Sorry to say...the bugger has returned.

Hey, don't run yourself down like that. :lol:

Did I say I had a plan B? Damn, I didn't think you would be back. :(

I do have a plan B though, although I've no idea if it will work. A little info on the MUI Cache which will help in trying to understand the problem:

Each time that you start using a new application, Windows operating system automatically extracts the application name from the version resource of the exe file, and stores it for using it later, in Registry key known as the 'MuiCache'.

The entry which keeps popping up should be simply removed by running CCleaner, and then only reappear the next time you run that application.

So, either it's a dead link referencing something not there, and for some reason won't delete, which made me think it could be a corrupt file in System32, or it's appearing regularly because you are using the program it refers to.

I've two things you can try, and the first one I've tested myself to make sure nothing bads gonna happen.

Go to System32 and find the following two files, "mstsc.exe" and "mstscax.dll" and delete them to the recycle bin. Come out of System32 and then go back into it and Windows will have instantly recreated those two files with two nice new copies. This is just to make sure both of those files are OK, as I believe they kinda run in tandem.

Now see if that entry returns after "fixing" it.

The second option is to use a freeware tool called "MUICacheView".

Download:

It's a simple exe file which you double click and it shows a list of all the items in the MUICache, which you can either edit (rename etc), or manually delete.

See if that pain in the backside mstsc.exe file is listed, and if so delete it.

Plan "C" is to run CCleaner in Safe Mode, or run MUICacheView in Safe Mode to see if that will permanently remove it.

:)

Dennis,

I performed Plan B. It's still there.

I ran "MUICacheView" and deleted the offending buggers. They are still there.

There are no issues, after cleaning, until I right click on My Computer and press "Explore". That brings up the file tree and triggers the problem.

I also ran Plan C...it removed it...but it came right back with Windows Explore.

What harm would it be to just ignore it? The computer seems to be working okay as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for your help, Dennis. I realize this is not a CCleaner issue.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

Are those two files the same version?

Have a read here

http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/715302.htm

Also if you don't need to use remote desktop connection have you tried turning it off and seeing if you still get the ccleaner 'problem'?

Right-click 'my computer'

Properties

Remote tab

Untick it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I am sorry to report...the MUI issue remains.

As I said to Dennis, maybe I should just ignore it...but I would like to know what is causing it. I had CCleaner version 2.26 installed...thought it a bit slow. So I changed back to 2.24...and viola...here comes the MUI issue. I can't believe that could have caused it. But, I have had issues in the distant past when I installed a newer version of a program, then want back the the older version. What do you think?

BTW, I have since reinstalled CCleaner 2.26. And, I always uninstall the version I am replacing.

• Moderators

I never bother uninstalling the old version, I just install the new version 'over the top'

It may remain a mystery Autumn about the cause of this. Ignoring it is a good option (sanity wise), it doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

If you ever get any more clues as to the cause make sure you let us know (you can make this your New Years resolution :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for your input on this. I just completed running a full scan of Avira and MBAM...the machine came up clean. I guess I could post a HiJackThis log...or just ignore it. As you say, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems that we know of.

I very much appreciated your and Dennis' help and will post back if I ever figure it out. I will keep checking this site in case someone else has had the problem and knows the solution.

It's a computer. If you don't want problems...or areas of opportunity...then don't plug it in.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

This one is still niggling at me Autumn, and I had the thought that there may be something in your startup causing Windows to add that entry into the MUICache.

I also had a thought about the "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager" service, which may be on "automatic" by default, and it's one of those useless things most people, as well as yours truly, set to "disabled".

If you don't use Remote Desktop, try disabling that service, and see if that makes a difference, and have a look in your startup, as there's usually all sorts of stuff running automatically if you haven't ever trimmed it.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestion...and your help. I used msconfig and unchecked "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager". Sorry to say, it's still there. There was nothing else in startup that used the words "Remote Desktop".

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cheers!

Autumn

• Moderators

Make a coffee Autumn and have a read of this 5 page thread in case it sets any light bulbs glowing above your head

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/78614...icult-need.html

Probably nothing but could it be anything to do with your context menu.

Apart from that, Merry Xmas :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazelnut,

So, I read the thread. I hope you didn't expect me to understand much of that??? lol No lights came on, no flash bulbs went off...nothing. I think, like that person, that it is something I am going to have to live with (or ignore).

I always backup my "fixes" in the registry part of CCleaner. Let's give this a go:

On 12/07/2009 I "fixed" the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.016]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.016\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]

"C:\\DOCUME~1\\Jim\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\~nsu.tmp\\Au_.exe"="CCleaner Installer"

On 12/08/2009 I "fixed" the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]

"@C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\en-US\\mstsc.exe.mui,-4004"="Remote Desktop Connection"

That's when the little bugger showed up for the first time. Does this shed any light on the subject?

Merry Christmas to you.

Cheers!

Autumn

After reading my post from above, would it fix my problem if I added the 12/07/2009 "fixes" back to my registry? Or would that make matters worse? I am trying to understand what, if anything, I deleted that caused the "Remote Desktop" problem. Maybe the problem comes from somewhere else? Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I appear to be having the same problem. It showed up when I upgraded CCleaner to the latest version. I am running XP with all the latest updates. Except I don't use IE (still have 6 installed). I run Firefox. I have gone through the attempted fixes posted here already. Still there. As the OP has stated, it's not causing problems, it just shows up.

Would anti-virus or spyware software have any effect? I'm using AVG

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem ever since I updated CCleaner a long time ago. I got curious about it today and started searching for it and found this. This problem has been appearing for 1-2 years now and one thing I've noticed is that it starts with "@"C:// in which no other registry fix I've done have had such description.

Problem: Data: Registry Key

Missing MUI Reference @C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui,-4004 HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

I have WinXP SP3, Firefox 3.6, iexplorer 6, Disables all of that remote s**t ages ago... btw the files are not the same, one is 6.0.6001.18000 the other 6.0.6001.18266... but they are like that in the winxp original iso so i don't think that is the problem... My beliefs are that this is a CCleaner Easter Egg.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Hi dtsaudio and samy, Welcome to Piriform to you both.

Don't have an answer for this at all, and I've found that this "Missing MUI Reference" issue has been popping up on and off for a few years now, and confirmed by your comment samy.

I'll try a bit more searching, as I'm sure some of the other members will do, and post back here if I can come up with anything.

A kind of solution is to simply ignore it, and add it to CCleaners "Exclude Registry" routine. Out of sight, out of mind. It isn't a problematic issue, just a pain in the backside really.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Easter Egg samy, but I think I get your drift.

:)