PC slower not faster after CCleaner

raycer

• Moderators

nice tutorial Andavari, thanks.

might be worth placing in it's own thread so as to help others and not have it lost amongst this thread.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

It is a tedious process, no pun intended.

You need to let the system settle down into a quiescent state.

Then you look at each and every process.

You use google to research each one of those processes.

You make note of the ones consuming high amounts of CPU resources.

Also look at overall memory usage. If you have 2GB ram, for example, there should be generally no more than 10-20% ram in use right after the system settles down. Just look at the graph.

My system has 34 processes, each one accounted for. And 256mb when the system goes idle.

Each computer is different. So these are guidelines.

Report back with any anomalies.

All processes seem to be bona fide. None using high amounts of CPU. % ram low in all instances.

• Moderators

If it was me I would use the startup tab in msconfig and untick everything and reboot.

Then I would add one thing back at a time to the startup (rebooting each time) til I found the culprit.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If it was me I would use the startup tab in msconfig and untick everything and reboot.

Then I would add one thing back at a time to the startup (rebooting each time) til I found the culprit.

I thought CCleaner was supposed to sort out the Startup in Tools

I thought CCleaner was supposed to sort out the Startup in Tools

It's the first time I see that tab LOL! Ccleaner would not do this automatically but it looks like that would do the same as using msconfig directly.

Up to you which items to disable. Some will be crucial for correct functioning of your hard/software. Here's a website that can help you: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

In the end, you can do all this but not gain a lot from it. Consider re-installing Windows if you keep having troubles. Might save you time and energy.

• Moderators

It's the first time I see that tab LOL! Ccleaner would not do this automatically but it looks like that would do the same as using msconfig directly.

Yes, however minus msconfig requesting a system restart, and also minus the msconfig warning dialog shown immediately after startup.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence that slow downs happened after running CCleaner

Try Autoruns from Systernals.

This finds all sorts of things that might be launched on startup.

It found that DropBox had hooked into my operating system,

and when I looked at Windows Event Viewer I found the very first event every morning after booting up - long before I could logg on, was a DropBox executable phoning home.

• Moderators

Could you tell us how many items you have running at start up. We really want to help but need certain info to do it.

Perhaps a screenshot of you start ups in ccleaner would give us some clues.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Could you tell us how many items you have running at start up. We really want to help but need certain info to do it.

Perhaps a screenshot of you start ups in ccleaner would give us some clues.

How do I paste or link a screen shot in a post? Which tab in Start up do you want a screenshot of?

It found that DropBox had hooked into my operating system,

and when I looked at Windows Event Viewer I found the very first event every morning after booting up - long before I could logg on, was a DropBox executable phoning home.

This could possibly be the culprit. I installed Dropbox a month or two ago. How do I deal with it ? I need Dropbox for a group that I have joined.

DropBox did this to me years ago - it might be better behaved now.

Whatever AutoRuns finds is auto-starting it gives you the options to disable or to remove.

I first disabled all Dropbox entries and that cured the problems but crippled the use of DropBox.

I could have fine-tuned which entries to re-enable for adequate operation,

and I could have deleted the really bad entries - but decided it was not worth the effort so I uninstalled the Dropbox application.

Guest Keatah

Having one bad task running, and optimizing and removing others in effort to regain former performance usually doesn't work. You still need to fix the original cancer.

Try looking through Process Monitor - from the same guys that did AutoRuns. A realtime view I really like.

• Moderators

CCleaner....tools...startup.

You can take a screenshot of it and either add the jpg or png file to a post by pressing the ''More reply options'' button which appears at the bottom of a post when you are writing it.

Or go to an image hosting site, upload it to there and copy and paste the link to it that you are given for it into a post.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner....tools...startup.

You can take a screenshot of it and either add the jpg or png file to a post by pressing the ''More reply options'' button which appears at the bottom of a post when you are writing it.

Or go to an image hosting site, upload it to there and copy and paste the link to it that you are given for it into a post.

post-65989-0-63921300-1366042773_thumb.jpg

Having one bad task running, and optimizing and removing others in effort to regain former performance usually doesn't work. You still need to fix the original cancer.

Try looking through Process Monitor - from the same guys that did AutoRuns. A realtime view I really like.

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the program but it needs a lot of study and application and I don't have the time for the long learning curve it obviously entails.

but decided it was not worth the effort so I uninstalled the Dropbox application.

I don't have this option - I've got to have Dropbox to communicate with other members of the group I belong to.

Guest Keatah

I see 3 security programs that could potentially conflict with each other. Whether that is actually happening here, I do not know.

Guest Keatah

What aspect of the system is running slow? Slow disk access? Slow FPS in games? Sluggish mouse & keyboard? Which application has slowed significantly? All? Something specific?

• Moderators

What aspect of the system is running slow? Slow disk access? Slow FPS in games? Sluggish mouse & keyboard? Which application has slowed significantly? All? Something specific?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=38410entry233134

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I see 3 security programs that could potentially conflict with each other. Whether that is actually happening here, I do not know.

As I mentioned in post 20, I've had these 3 security programs installed in my PC for several years without any problem with slow running before.