Memory dumps option default setting

mkey

Hello gents.

I have one small suggestion which imo should be considered as it can save people some time:

the "memory dumps" checkbox under "system" on the cleaner/windows tab should be unchecked by default as deleting memory dumps before someone had a chance to look at them can be... well, problematic.

Mini memory dumps are usually not that large and the person who has loads of them has much more pressing matters to tend to then doing some temporary files cleanup.

That's all from me,

regards

• Moderators

+1

[Memory Dumps]
ID=1015
LangSecRef=3003
LangRef=3143
Default=True
FileKey1=%windir%|memory.dmp
FileKey2=%windir%\MiniDump|*.dmp
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\CrashDumps|*.dm

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

+1 sometimes forget to untick it or check the dumps before cleaning; :mellow:

the suggested change wouldn't fix this issue, it would just make it so that new users would not clean the dumps without knowing that they checked off the item (if you already have checked or unchecked it the change in default would have no effect)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

the suggested change wouldn't fix this issue, it would just make it so that new users would not clean the dumps without knowing that they checked off the item (if you already have checked or unchecked it the change in default would have no effect)

I know? :D It'd sometimes fix it, because it'd be unticked by default? :)

I know? :D It'd sometimes fix it, because it'd be unticked by default? :)

Unlikely

My experience with Portable CCleaner is that CCleaner.ini does NOT preserve any check-boxes as set by any defaults.

A new entry is made within CCleaner.ini only when the user CHANGES the setting of a check-box,

after which the Winapp2.ini defaults may change but what the user chose remains fixed,

unless the user changes it again and then his latest choice rules supreme.

I guess that what I have seen with Winapp2.ini is also true for the built-in Winapp.ini.

The same is probably true for installed versions that save settings in the dangerous world of the registry.

Not sure I'm quite following you there, but I have never evidenced any settings being off from what was seleceted. I however don't have a winapp2.ini in my cc folder, only a ccleaner.ini and a portable.dat.

Only if you use Winapp2.ini can you modify the DOWNLOADED DEFAULT settings of what should be cleaned..

Until the USER has modified the checkboxes they will always be updated to the latest DOWNLOADED DEFAULTS.

AFTER the USER has changed a checkbox setting then that setting will ignore any change to the downloaded default.

• Moderators

Going past the point here via mentioning Winapp2.ini file (I know what you're getting at but are/will confuse the original poster)

The only thing in this Thread is

Should (ONLY in regards to new installs/clean-unzips of ccleaner) Memory Dumps be set to false.

Please attempt to stay focused on exactly that