cant open recovered files

dungeon

hi,

i accidenatly deleted some rar and pdf files from the usb pen,

i used then the recuva to recover the loed files,

after that i tried to open some files but it couldnt be possible,

when i open some file it says me that the file is damegem ir in unkcnown format, and so icant open them,

what is happening??

why i cant open the files??

i am using xp pro sp3, english

hey nobody can solve my problem( i am using the latest version )??

i hope the forum is seen by the software creators..... isnt it???

or they have some shame when hear something like that about their software????

Welcome to Piriform dungeon.

Well I've just tried you problem. I've RARed a few files and folder and put a couple of rar files on my pen drive. Gone to the pen drive and deleted them. Ran Recuva which found them and restored them correctly all files are use able.

When you say damaged or unknown format. What type of files are they?

We did have a problem a long time ago. If you put a jpg on a drive and deleted it Recuva would find it but the recovered file size was 0 bytes. This problem was fixed on a later version. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform dungeon.

Well I've just tried you problem. I've RARed a few files and folder and put a couple of rar files on my pen drive. Gone to the pen drive and deleted them. Ran Recuva which found them and restored them correctly all files are use able.

When you say damaged or unknown format. What type of files are they?

We did have a problem a long time ago. If you put a jpg on a drive and deleted it Recuva would find it but the recovered file size was 0 bytes. This problem was fixed on a later version. ;)

Is there anyone available in this forum right now to answer a couple of questions?????

I have recovered what appears to be data from a USB drive to a directory on my C drive. However, the file name is data_backup.bkf and is reported as a Windows backup file.

How do I display the contents of the file and then how do I restore the data to directory structure?

The Windows restore program says that the data is not recognized.

What do I do??

Welcome to Piriform twade.

I have recovered what appears to be data from a USB drive to a directory on my C drive. However, the file name is data_backup.bkf and is reported as a Windows backup file.

How do I display the contents of the file and then how do I restore the data to directory structure?

The Windows restore program says that the data is not recognized.

What do I do??

Well depending on how big the file is you could probably look at its contents with WordPad or Word. Did you know its a backup file you wanted to recover? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform twade.

Well depending on how big the file is you could probably look at its contents with WordPad or Word. Did you know its a backup file you wanted to recover? ;)

This information came from a working external USB hard drive where many different file types had been deleted. My attempt was to undelete those files and save them to a directory on my C drive.

I was able to place the recovered files on my C drive in the desired folder.

HOWEVER, they (many) are all in a (what appears to be) Windows backup file named data_backup.bkf

When I tried to restore the file using Windows restore it said that it did not recognize any of the files and therefore could not restore them.

I wonder why it placed them in this kind of file rather than placing them in the directory with their given file names in readable form. Your program reported them to be in excellent condition.

Should I run your program using different parameters or can you tell me how to extract these files from the recovered file.

Thanks

Tom

This information came from a working external USB hard drive where many different file types had been deleted. My attempt was to undelete those files and save them to a directory on my C drive.

HOWEVER, they (many) are all in a (what appears to be) Windows backup file named data_backup.bkf

When I tried to restore the file using Windows restore it said that it did not recognize any of the files and therefore could not restore them.

I wonder why it placed them in this kind of file rather than placing them in the directory with their given file names in readable form. Your program reported them to be in excellent condition.

Should I run your program using different parameters or can you tell me how to extract these files from the recovered file.

Thanks

Tom

Recuva does not change the file type or compress/backup them when it recovers them

so if it only found .bkf files then that's all that recoverable, they are normally in the same place they were deleted from.

Have you tried the "deep scan" option?

fireryone

• Moderators

These files have been created by Windows Backup (in XP Pro, and add-on in XP Home) and need to be restored using Windows Backup.

From Google 'If you make multiple backups a catalog of those backups is kept on the hard disk in the folder \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51. If you have a backup file you are trying to recover files from and that file is not listed in the catalog then the Windows Backup program will not restore from that file unless you delete the catalog. Then, because it has no other data to work from, Windows Backup will recover files from the backup.'

I don't know how relevant that is. If Win Backup can't read them then it might be a file association problem or some other error. There are applications available to recover files from bkf backups.

Thanks

Tom

Yes, it was a deep scan. I saw hundreds of file names, most in Excellent condition, according to your program. However, when recovered, they did not recover as individual files. but as the afore mentioned.

ok,

i hav uploaded an file that i want able to open

can somebody say my why???

Dundeon, Did you write anything to the pen after deleting your files or edit it in any way. This may have overwritten certain parts of your file making them unopenable.

hey i didnt overwrited nothing after deleting the files, when i deleted the files i remembered the recuva and then i downloaded it and instaled.

all pdf files have their original dimensions..the same the rar files, and some djvu files,

i made adeep scan

i was able gest to open 2 pdf files and all notepad files, but ok i will upload some files that i recovered and you will see what hapens.

Inequalities.pdf

Inequalities.pdf

• 5 weeks later...
Recuva does not change the file type or compress/backup them when it recovers them

so if it only found .bkf files then that's all that recoverable, they are normally in the same place they were deleted from.

Have you tried the "deep scan" option?

Hi!

I just wonder if its possibly a backup file created by some other backup program, and only opens in the same program?

Are backup files encrypted or readable in various programs?

Anyway, it sounds like you only "found" them, not lost them. In that case, why bother???

Recovering takes a lot of time, you must be darn curious using that much time on files you didnt loose....

Cold