ESET challenging CCleaner - potentially unsafe application

Kimbo No1

HI to forum members

I am very hopeful that I have selected the correct forum topic to outline the issues being experienced with CCleaner.

Having allowed ESET Smart Security to complete a smart scan of my files I now find that ESET has reported a scanned log entry stating the following message:-

ESET states CCleaner 5.26.5937 PF-Toolbar-2016.exe - Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application

Unquote

Within the report it identified that ESET recommended a ;Clean' which I presume is the cleansing of the alleged Toolbar issue.

At this time it would seem that the installed version of CCleaner has not been affected as it opens up without a hitch.

Seeing the report makes reference to 'Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D.' I see that ESET has challenged the downloaded version of CCleaner 5.26.5937 as well as the installed version of CCl. Is ESET misbehaving after all it seems to be doing a double whammy with a downloaded file and the same with the installed version of CCleaner.

Do I have a problem either with ESET Smart Security or with CCleaner carrying a 'PUP' or even a 'PSA'? baggage?

Is anyone able to shed some light on this issue please

• Moderators

It does that all the time.

Try to only download the Slim build setup file of CCleaner, that should make ESET happy (recommend bookmarking this link):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Edit:

Slim build, and Portable versions don't include any 3rd party software; Google Chrome, toolbars, etc. What sets off antivirus are the included 3rd party software in the Normal build installer.

Edited by Andavari

I refer to Andavari's response of 12 Feb 2017.

Many thanks for your very prompt response. I thought that the standard version of CCleaner carries 3rd party software - although I must admit I have not noticed reference during the installations of options being available to accept 3rd party or otherwise to not accept the 3rd party apps.

I have visited CCleaner's website many many times but have never seen the the opportunity to download either the portable version or the slim version. That is perhaps due to the fact that the two extra versions are not on my screen when preparing to download the latest version of CCleaner.

I very grateful to you in providing a quick response, Andavari.

Regards

Following on from the advice provided by Andavari concerning the availability of a slim version of CCleaner and the URL http://www.piriform....ccleaner/builds provided in his post - I have gone back to the URL provided but I notice that the 'slim' version of Cleaner is no longer available - at least the name of the files and the builds webpage no longer include the name of 'slim' within the filename.

Has the 'slim' version been removed permanently?

At the time of reading Andavari's response to my query I visited the rebuilds webpage and the 'slim' version file name was available for download, but I decided to leave it for the time being expecting to download the 'slim' version when time permitted.

How would I now obtain a version of CCleaner that does not contain 3rd party software which causes by security software to constantly requests cleaning CCleaner downloaded file?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you