Can't download new versions of Ccleaner

renard

I have been running Ccleaner successfully for many months. But when I try to download the latest version, either through FileHippo or any other site, this happens: when I click to download, all I get is a blank screen with, in the top left corner, a tiny circle, triangle and square. The word 'Done' appears at the bottom of the screen.

That's all that happens. The new version of Ccleaner has not been downloaded.

(I sometimes have problems downloading other stuff, too - for example, McAfee automatic downloads will not download automatically.)

Any advice will be very welcome. Please be gentle with me, as I find it difficult to understand all that technical stuff!!

... when I try to download the latest version, either through FileHippo or any other site ...
Have you tried the CCleaner site Downloads? Personally I wouldn't use any other site.

... a tiny circle, triangle and square.
Indicates a blocked image. Do you have any internet security enabled?

• Moderators

Do you have any internet security enabled?

It does sound like that! Could be something like the firewall, the HOSTS file perhaps, or some proxy ad blocker.

If you haven't rebooted in a long time that can sometimes fix things for instance if your firewall is blocking something and won't unblock it, etc.

Do you have any internet security enabled?

Yep. Try turning McAfee off to download, and install. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I am very grateful to you three for your suggestiions.

Glenn, I tried your suggestion of downloading direct from Ccleaner, using the link in your post. No success, I'm afraid - exactly the same thing happened.

Andavari, I have rebooted several times recently but the problem remains.

As to my internet security, this is where things get a bit complicated for me, as I am not very computer literate. Sorry about that, you clever fellas!

All I run on McAfee is VirusScan, not their Firewall. I have just disabled McAfee, as suggested by krit86lr, , but the download still will not work.

I have just been to Control Panel/Internet Options/Security Settings, and note that all the check boxes under "Downloads" are set to "Enable".

I have also looked at Control Panel/Windows Security Centre, and note that Windows Firewall, Automatic Updates and Virus Protection are all set to "On".

The only other thing that may be important is that my internet access is via a wireless link to my kindly next door neighbour's computer. He is on broadband cable. I have no idea what security he runs, or what effect it might have on my PC.

Does all this help you? Once again, please forgive my ignorance.

Okay, then something else is going on here. Renard do this for me.

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

Now under your username does it say Computer Administrator? If it does, then do this.

"Run the Repair Permissions tool in Dial-a-fix. This will fix it 90% of the time. If you are unable to run this tool, try it in "Safe mode with command prompt". Once you extract DAF, double click on Dial-a-fix.exe, click Tools, click Repair Permissions, and click GO. After the permissions repair completes, reboot your PC. Then try downloading again."

Download DAF here.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Thanks, krit86lr. Yes, I am shown as Computer Administrator. However, this reply is just a courtesy to tell you that I have to go out now so cannot try your suggestion (DAF) for a while. I will come back in due course. Hope the time difference works out, as I am in UK.

• Moderators

Well if you're using adblock in something like Firefox that could possibly be a problem, other than that I'm outta ideals.

Here's links to download CCleaner from the official download page:

* Basic (multi-language build, no Yahoo toolbar)

* Slim (English language only, no Yahoo toolbar)

Edit:

If you still can't download it just say so, and one of us could PM you to get your email address and email you the setup file. Just don't post your email address in here because that's an easy way to get a crapload of spam.

... my internet access is via a wireless link to my kindly next door neighbour's computer. I have no idea what security he runs, or what effect it might have on my PC.
If you're connected to a wireless access point / router which is directly connected to your neighbour's cable (the typical setup), his security shouldn't affect you. The access point probably has a firewall but shouldn't cause the type of problem you report.

If you're connecting to his computer (workstation or server) which then connects to cable (not a desirable setup but possible), his security could be a problem.

Check your wireless client to see how it's connecting or ask your neighbour.

OK, here's how we stand. I've just got back (quarter past midnight in UK) and tried Andavari's suggestion - I clicked on the link in his post to download the Slim version of CCleaner from the official download page. Delighted to say that it worked straight away and loaded the latest version.

I don't know what that indicates to you experts. How come that one downloaded OK but the others wouldn't?

Anyway, I've got an early start tomorrow so gotta go. I will pick this up later. In the meantime, just like to say how pathetically grateful this learner is to have nice guys like you to hold my hand and guide me through this utterly confusing world of computers! Thanks a million to all of you.

Back again. Thanks, Andavari for your advice. I have bookmarked that address. Still puzzled, though, that even at that address the Basic version refuses to download, only the Slim one. Also, as I mentioned, I have trouble downloading other stuff from time to time.

I am tempted to try the suggestion by krit86lr to run Repair Permissions in Dial-a-Fix.

However, I have just looked at the DAF site, saw the Warnings and Integrity Check List and it scared the pants off me! :(

Is it really necessary to go through all that daunting stuff before downloading DAF? I am not very clever with the technical stuff - is it safe for me to use DAF? If it mucks up my PC, I really will not know what to do. :unsure:

Do I leave well enough alone, or go ahead and download DAF with my fingers crossed? :unsure::unsure:

Thanks for the advice, rridgely. I certainly don't think I'm ready to join the big boys yet, so I had better not try DAF.

Once again, many thanks to all who have helped me with my problem. It is good of you to share your knowledge and precious time so willingly.

Thanks for the advice, rridgely. I certainly don't think I'm ready to join the big boys yet, so I had better not try DAF.

Once again, many thanks to all who have helped me with my problem. It is good of you to share your knowledge and precious time so willingly.

Well I think that one of 2 things is causing your download problems.

It's possible that you have security software that is blocking certain downloads. The reason that the Basic version could be blocked from downloading is because it's bundled with the Yahoo Toolbar, and some security apps will block it.

It's also possible that your permissions are corrupted, and therefore messing up your downloading rights.

DAF is safe, I use it often, and specifically tell new people to use it to fix things so that they can't mess something up. ;)

Would you like the manual instructions for repairing your permissions?

Glad that you have made some progress! :)

Thanks for the offer, krit86lr. I would like to get my downloads running correctly and I note what you say about DAF being safe for newbies. However, as I said earlier, I took a look at the DAF site and as a novice I was knocked back by the Warnings about what it might do to my PC, but my particular worry was the Integrity Check List, which looks as though it would take me forever to work through, even if I understood half of it :( . My question at this stage is: would I really have to work through all that daunting Integrity Check List stuff before running DAF?? Or can I just go ahead and download it? :unsure:

The reason that the Basic version could be blocked from downloading is because it's bundled with the Yahoo Toolbar, and some security apps will block it.

No it isn't. :mellow:

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

No it isn't. :mellow:

lol, "Standard" ;) My bad...thanks for the catch Woody.

I'm assuming that is what he was talking about, and not the Basic? :huh:

Thanks for the offer, krit86lr. I would like to get my downloads running correctly and I note what you say about DAF being safe for newbies. However, as I said earlier, I took a look at the DAF site and as a novice I was knocked back by the Warnings about what it might do to my PC, but my particular worry was the Integrity Check List, which looks as though it would take me forever to work through, even if I understood half of it :( . My question at this stage is: would I really have to work through all that daunting Integrity Check List stuff before running DAF?? Or can I just go ahead and download it? :unsure:

DAF is safe for newbies, it looks intimidating but it is easy as pie. I'm sure that DjLizard put that Integrity Check List there for a reason so I won't discourage you from the list, although I've never encouraged anyone to worry about the list either.

Simply put, using DAF to repair your permissions is no biggy. It will turn off your Limited User Accounts (such as your Guest Account), but that is all.

This is the thing though. Because we have acknowledged that it was the Standard Build that couldn't be downloaded then I am seriously finding this to be a security issue then.

Did you turn McAfee off, and try downloading it? :)

• Moderators

Possibly McAfee's Web Shield or whatever they call it nowadays.

Another possibility is some sort of proxy ad blocker that's using a block with a wildcard term like *ad* or *ads* the problem is those letters are in download which will effect allot of websites, and also the CCleaner.com downloadbuilds.asp page.

Did you turn McAfee off, and try downloading it? :)

Yes, I tried this on 18 August, following your original suggestion (please see my post of that date). I only have McAfee VirusScan. I disabled it and tried downloading, without success. So I enabled it again.

Encouraged by your reassurances that all should go well, I will simply download DAF (if I can, of course!) and run Repair Permissions, following the instructions you posted earlier. I have to go away for a couple of days so I will do this on my return and let you know the result. Thanks again everyone. :)

• 2 weeks later...

More frustration!! I am trying to follow the advice given by krit86lr, to download DAF and use Repair Permissions. I went to DAF via the link in his post, and found a clickable link to download the Medium version of DAF (which, it said, was necessary to use the Repair Permissions tool). But when I click on that link (directdownload@djlizard.net) the result on my PC is exactly the same as when I try to download Ccleaner updates (and other stuff) - the screen goes competely blank except for the word Done at bottom left, and at top left there is that tiny logo of square, triangle and circle (please see my very first post). Glenn says (above) that the logo indicates a blocked image. Getting nowhere fast here - it seems that something is blocking downloads, and now I find that I can't even download DAF in order to clear the blockage. :(:(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys: I'm bringing this forward again in the hope that someone can help me with the problem outlined in my last post, 2 September. To recap, CCleaner updates will not download via filehippo etc. If I go direct to CCleaner downloads page, I can download Basic and Slim versions of CCleaner, but Standard version will not download. As suggested by krit86lr to overcome this problem, I have tried downloading DAF in order to run Repair Permissions, but DAF will not download either!! All I get is a blank screen except for the word Done at bottom left, and at top left there is a tiny logo of square, triangle and circle (please see my very first post). I will be very grateful for any help. Thanks.

try this, read your last post but didnt get a chance to read through it all.

let us know if theres anything else you need and if this solves the problem :D

Dial_a_fix_medium.zip

Dial_a_fix_medium.zip