Just recover from mistaken Quick Format - deep scan still needed?

polaatx

Hello, 

I wanted to quick format my SD card. Instead I mistakenly Quick Formatted an external WD 2TB drive NTFS format containing hundreds of thousands of files accumulated over years. 

I will spare you the descriptions of the feelings of self-loathing and anger and shock. No doubt you've all heard enough of those. No I'm not suicidal. I have a backup but not of the latest files added.

Just want to know:

1. The quick format took just a couple of seconds. I haven't saved anything new on the disk. I know all the files are still there. So is there anyway to tell the disk to just disregard the quick format?

Or do I have to go through the entire process of deep scanning and then transferring found files to another drive?

If the answer is no, I just find it amazing. I know what I did has happened countless times before in the history of mankind. Hasn't anyone come up with some kind of a tool to just tell the disk: "disregard the quick format"? 

2. What are the chances of recovering everything to exact FILE NAMES and EXACT DIRECTORY STRUCTURE I had before? I ask because there were thousands of directories created by Lightroom that has to stay exactly the same for Lightroom to function correctly. 

Thank you so much for your kind attention. I'm going to bed now for a nap and try not to stop the self-flagellation. 

• Moderators

Hi polaatx, and welcome to the forum.

Please don't beat yourself up as you aren't the first to do that, and you most certainly won't be the last. Being disappointed is one thing, but what you did is not uncommon and not deserving of metaphorically stripping the skin from your back. Honestly.  :)

Firstly, in my humble opinion, huge terrabyte drives are one of the worst things to appear in the world of computers and storage.

I would rather have 4 x 500gb drives than 1 x 2tb drive, (I think that's the correct comparison) as these drives are the absolute epitome of putting all your eggs in one basket.

However, that mini rant doesn't help you but I can tell you that because you did a "Quick Format" all your files will still be there.

To achieve your aims by using Recuva, and I would suggest initially using a "Normal" scan, firstly go into "Options/General" and select "View Mode - Tree view".

Secondly, go into "Options/Actions" and select "Scan for non deleted files" and "Restore folder structure".

The first option will display the files Recuva finds in the same folder structure as their original location which enables you to choose locations to recover and ignore those locations you already have backed up.

With the second two options the first is self explanatory whilst the second will restore any recovered files into their original folder structure.

Please note this doesn't mean their original location, but into a copy of those locations on a different drive. And you must of course restore to a different drive so as not to overwrite the files you are trying to recover. And please note also that the scan may take some time because of the drive size.

I've deliberately answered your second question first, as this is the best option to try first.

Regarding your first question, although it sadly isn't as easy as it should be to have an "ignore that format" scenario, it is something which can be done but in a slightly more complicated way, and it does involve writing to important sectors of a drive and is therefore something I would suggest leaving as a final option when all others have failed.

For now, I hope that helps.

:)

• 3 months later...

To Dennis D (Moderator) and also to Polaatx (new member),

1. What is the procedure for "when all other options have failed" so I can write to some sectors like the MFT?

2. Also, Polaatx, did you succeed?  I only got about 1/2 of my files back?

Regarding your first question, although it sadly isn't as easy as it should be to have an "ignore that format" scenario, it is something which can be done but in a slightly more complicated way, and it does involve writing to important sectors of a drive and is therefore something I would suggest leaving as a final option when all others have failed.

• Moderators

Hi rich, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, you really don't use a forum by placing the same question in three different sections. All that does is cause confusion and wastes the time of the volunteers on here, and we're all volunteers.

You could have different members all trying to help you and maybe unaware that you actually have the same question posted in 3 locations.

Secondly, I'll lock this topic and the original poster can pm me if they need it opening again, and I'll lock one of your other two topics and then answer you in the remaining one.

By the way, this isn't isn't a slap on the wrist, just an explanation as to why you should stick to one topic to get the best help.

:)

EDIT: One of your other topics has already been locked by another mod.