Recovering cut paste files

amynvirani

This is what happened. I connected a harddrive to my laptop on which I was running Ubuntu. I cut a folder from the laptop and pasted it in the external harddisk. Then when I connected that external harddrive on my other laptop running windows 8, that folder was gone. Any way to recover that whole folder with all of its contents? Need help urgently.

Could this be a needless panic ?

If you connect the external back to the Ubuntu Laptop, can you now see on the external drive the folder which you cut from the Laptop ?

I think of Windows 8 as being a Beta product, and as such no failings would surprise me.

I believe even Windows 7 can fail to access files created on Windows XP, and Ubuntu is unlikely to be more compatible.

Can your Ubuntu laptop also run Windows ?

What is the format of the partition from which you cut the folder ?

I tried connecting the external harddrive again with Ubuntu but the files were not there. The Ubuntu laptop can also run windows and I have installed widows 7 on that yesterday. The partition format was NTFS. Actual the external drive is nothing but just a laptop hard drive which I connected through usb converter with the laptop to use it as external.

Was the "cut folder" within a system (Ubuntu or Windows) partition or a separate partition ?

Have you shrunk or expanded the "cut folder" partition since you made the cut ?

Your answers will assist those who can assist you better than I.

P.S.

Ubuntu may have succeeded in copying the SOURCE folder on the Laptop to the DESTINATION folder on the external drive.

Windows 8 may have deleted the DESTINATION folder on the external drive.

You MAY have two chances and be able to use RECUVA to rescue either the SOURCE and DESTINATION.

DO NOT allow any writing of any files to the partitions holding the SOURCE and PARTITION folders until you have completed all attempts at recovery.

Specifically, do not write to the same external partition in which the DESTINATION folder was copied.

You may need to acquire another external drive for any Recovered files.

No. The cut folder was not inside the system/windows partition. It was on another partition. I might have written some data on the harddisk but i dont remember whether it is written on the same location as was the data but I can give it a try. Please give me instruction to follow so that i can attempt to recover my data at the earliest. I didnt shrunk or expanded the partition but I guess i did delete the partition for a fresh windows installation. I hope i can still recover my data. :mellow:

P.S.

I DONT KNOW EXACTLY THE NAMES OF THE FILES WHICH ARE LOST BECAUSE IT WAS AN OLD BACKUP BUT ITS IMPORTANT. ALL THAT I REMEMBER RITE NOW IS THE NAME OF THE MAIN FOLDER WHICH CONTAINED OTHER FILES AND FOLDERS WITHIN IT.

I strongly recommend that until you have fully recovered your missing files,

or have given up any further attempts at recovery,

you avoid any actions that might write to any sectors that may have held the files you wish to recover.

This includes both your Ubuntu Laptop and the external disk which may have held copies made by Ubuntu and deleted by Windows 8.

You should make all recovery attempts to a different external device.

Depending upon how large an amount needs to be recovered you should obtain either a Flash drive or another External Hard Drive.

My experience with Recuva is limited. Therefore I will leave it for others to advise you on how to proceed.

• 1 month later...

This may sound like a basic and elementary question, but, did the CUT and PASTE operation actually move some data? Do we know that? Furthermore, there should be no more disk activity on (or booting) any disk that may have at any time held the data you're trying to recover. Understand that Windows OS's of any kind like to write logs and temp files even in basic startup scenarios. Any activity like this could be overwriting the data you're trying to undelete.

Any "suspect" disk that might be holding your "want to recover" data should be only connected as a slave. This means that you will be connecting the disk through a USB cable into a fully booted and operational system. While not 100% safe as far as writing goes, it will suffice for our purposes if you proceed carefully.

Also understand that you may need more advanced software in addition to Recuva. There are many packages available and depending on how we proceed, one may be preferred over the other. Some are freeware, some are payware. Just letting you know.

About how much data are we looking to recover here?

• 3 weeks later...