Malwarebytes version 3 released.

hazelnut

• Moderators

At the moment it is just for new downloads (not through autoupdate in an existing install)

However see last link below for how to update existing install.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Our engineers have now made your best defense against advanced threats even better. Malwarebytes 3.0 now offers four malware-fighting modules:

Anti-malware
    Anti-ransomware
    Anti-exploit
    Malicious website protection

More info here

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

Includes faq's such as this

How do I upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0 if I also have Anti-Exploit or Anti-Ransomware installed?

Simply download and run the installer from here. Malwarebytes 3.0 will automatically remove the old Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware and upgrade them all to Malwarebytes 3.0.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I must admit I was a little surprised it has been pushed to release so quickly, but some people say version 3 is working well for them.

According to the MBAM dev, a MBAM clean tool (for when it has uninstall issues) will be released soon.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have been an Mbam beta tester for some years, I and a number of their trusted advisers/experts all agree this version should not have been released.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

I never had an issue with V2, certainly none that raised their ugly heads.

V3 looks good so far.

Hopefully a little'ish company wouldn't push an unfinished product onto the marketplace and risk a backlash.

Big, multi-nationals can get away with that, but MalwareBytes would risk too much.

Time will tell.....

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

hmmm, their forum seems to be filled with a lot of unhappy campers.

Their statement about v3 now being a complete replacement for any AV software will take some convincing.

Don't get me wrong, I believe them, it's just a quantum leap to get my head around.

• Moderators

List of known issue to date.........

December 8, 2016

• If you are running an earlier Alpha or Beta, and your upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0 fails for any reason, simply uninstall the earlier version and then reinstall new version.
• Startup time for Malwarebytes 3.0 is slower than Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.x, Malwarebytes 3.0 includes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware protections.
• In XP/Vista Malwarebytes 3.0 does not support Ransomware Protection.
• Occasionally, after installing, the user will see a “protection layer is off” warning while the protection is being or has already been automatically turned on.
• Occasionally, after installing, the user could see a “failure to connect to service” error, usually a reboot or rerunning the installer will correct the failure.
• An internet connection is required to activate a valid license.
• There are still a number of performance enhancements still in the works, specifically around memory and CPU usage.
• We are still investigating incompatibilities with MSE running on Windows 7.
• There are a few sporadic translations that have not yet been incorporated into the product so if you switch to a different language from English some strings could still appear in English.
• Clicking some of the help “?”s throughout Malwarebytes currently does not do anything.
• Some Windows Insider Preview builds blue-screen at Malwarebytes 3.0's Web Protection.
• Custom Scan options are not persisted for subsequent scans.
• Restoring a large file (> 750MB) from Quarantine can cause Malwarebytes 3.0 to hang in certain circumstances.
• If Malwarebytes 3.0 is closed, a context menu scan does not open up to scan page.
• New scans don't reset "Threats Quarantined" counter on Scan Summary page.
• The correct date and time format is not enforced when adding or editing a scheduled scan.
• Web protection can take a long time to start in Windows XP after upgrade from 2.x.
• Managed Applications (Anti-Exploit) settings are not carried over but instead all Advanced Settings will be reset to the current defaults.
• Custom anti-exploit shields are not enabled by default.
• Website block notification appears multiple times on Windows XP.
• Windows Vista: Post Expiration Notification for manual renewal appears after each reboot.
• On Windows XP selecting a folder in Exclusions does not actually allow selecting a folder.
• Currently allowed to add a Domain Exclusion on Windows XP but since this is not supported it will be ignored.
• There may be some quirky behavior when resizing the user interface.
• Some dialogs are improperly formatted with high DPI settings.
• Any User Access Policy created in MBAM 2.x is not migrated when upgrading from MBAM 2.x to Malwarebytes 3.0; a new policy will have to be created.
• Malwarebytes 3.0 Installation can fail if installed from an imdisk virtual disk.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

V2 worked fine here on win xp, and win 7.  Will wait a bit for V3, seems they're still tuning it. 

Thanks for the info, Hazelnut. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks, nikki605. 

I guess win 10 is making them a bit crazy. 

I have a lot of faith in those MBAM guys, even more in info from Hazelnut.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

After the mess that was version 2 not working properly on my system I won't be using version 3 either.

ditto for me. One of he Malwarebytes techs tried to help solve the problem I was having with version 2 and it never did work right.  I gave up.

• Moderators

It does seem odd that you have to manually go to the Malwarebytes site to download v3, it is not yet being pushed out as an automatic update to v2 users.

It's as if they knew it was not ready for general release yet and didn't want to risk upsetting existing users.

There seems to be still too many issues with it to be a fully finished application.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/41-malwarebytes-30/

I'll wait till its a bit more polished and the v2 upgrades itself to v3.

TBH I'm not sure about this major change.

I use MBAM (free) to scan for malware once a week, I don't have it constantly monitoring.

I do have MBAE (free) monitoring but believe that this will only be available in the paid for version of MBAM v3. (or as a standalone beta version).

Do I need, or even want, MBAM to suddenly become another anti-virus?

Llike I say I'm going to wait until it is pushed out as an update, see what resources it uses, and then decide if I still want it installed.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

There seems to be still too many issues with it to be a fully finished application.

Sounds just like every current generation video game I've played:

Release it for sale, even though it's buggy as hell and technically isn't finished. Then release some free DLC bug fixing patches but only after people report the bugs they've encountered.

I upgraded on just one of my computers to V3.  It created a delayed shut down with Windows 7 Pro of 5 to 8 minutes.  Apparently it is a conflict with Microsoft's Security Essentials (MSE) which I use.  MalwareBytes Support wanted me to disable MSE's Real Time Protection, which eliminated the problem, but made MSE useless in my opinion.  An alternative I found that works is to exit out of MalwareBytes first and then shut the computer down.

With a temporary work around for the shut down problem the only other issue I have noticed is the occasional pop up warning that Real Time Protection is disabled when it is not.   I'll keep beta testing. :lol:

• Moderators

just upgraded the rest of the PC's (3) in the house from v2 Premium to v3.

flawless, did everything as advertised (thank goodness), kept all the licensing, removed MBAE, Nortons happy.

yet to notice any downside, certainly no performance issues but with them all having SSD's, I didn't expect to.

anybody ditched their AV and solely running MBAM yet?

I'm just using V3 as a free mode. No bells and whistles turned on. No auto-monitoring. I just use it like I did with free V1 version. I'm fine with that.

I do that also, on this old win xp computer.  Seems to me that it uses a little less horsepower, and when I need to I can turn it on and use all the bells and whistles. 

Edit:  Also, fwiw, MBAM paid has never conflicted with Avast that I could tell. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

PC Pitstop throwing their toys out the pram over it :Dhttp://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2016/12/16/malwarebytes-alert/

Apparently talks are now ongoing between the 2 companies

https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2016/12/23/pcpitstop-addresses-malwarebytes-claims/

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com