Return of the Update Nag

bluebolt

With the 5.31 release the update nag is back, meaning that while running 5.30 with "automatically check for updates" unchecked, there is still a notice in the lower right corner saying "you do not have the latest version" and "Update available."

Yes, same here.

5.30.6065 was the "emergency patch" release for the previous time this happened. I was going to update CCleaner today and immediately noticed the nag screen was back.

If every new release is going need a quick patch to fix the same problem then it hasn't been fixed at all. You have to update to fix the nag to update - it is not really a satisfactory solution is it?      

• Moderators

Ccleaner is released monthly and obviously if 5.31 is out than 5.30 is old. There were two 5.31 because a fatal (to mozilla) error. But, unless a quick patch is made you will be asked to upgrade on a once a month basis. I don't think there is the situation you both setup

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
It does seem strange to now add this "Update Available" nag.  Why include the option in settings to "Automatically check for updates to CCleaner" when CCleaner is going to check anyway?

I believe, the check for updates will pop-up if one is detected, but I'm on pro now so may be wrong.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

It shouldn't pop-up if you ticked the setting not to check for updates, as we all here have done. That's the problem, the updater is ignoring that setting making it redundant. We just want that choice respected as it feels to me like that it is deliberately being overridden.    

• Moderators

word from the Admin team is it is currently under investigation.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I've just had that same nag dialogue box appear despite still, clearly, having my CCleaner settings: not to check for updates.

I don't understand why it is ignoring our settings yet again even in the light of the recent security matters.

There would have been a good chance that with the infected release we would have been similarly prompted to update. Maybe those with the check for updates ticked at the time (or who had the Pro version with update in the background option ticked) were persuaded to update because of the prompt and unfortunately infected their system in the process.

As it is all of us who did update during that period, whether prompted or not did have the infected EXE on their PC it was just not active if you were lucky enough to be using a 64bit system.

Despite being one of those people I've still spent some time this last week using every anti-nasties tool I have to run several full system scans concerned as I was about having had it on my machine.

I found I still had an archived copy of that version download and the portable version which I could have but didn't use via flash drive on the 32bit system I also use. That was mainly because I'd forgotten to update the flash drive and in doing so dodged the bullet.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

what is 18.10.17? The 5.34 and .35 (latest as of this writing) maybe prompt you to update to the more secure versions after the backdoor incident

• Moderators

18.10.17 is the date.

dd.mm.yy (I use the same format here) :mellow:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

18.10.17 is the date.

dd.mm.yy (I use the same format here) :mellow:

We digress, but I realize it as a date format, not a ccleaner version - especially because it's today's date and no version of ccleaner was released today - which was how I read the report doh

Latest version of CCleaner v5.36 6278 includes this in the changelog:-

Emergency Updater

-Added new executable: "CCUpdate.exe"

-Added new Windows Scheduled Task: "CCleaner Update"

Does this mean it is now going to update automatically regardless of our option settings?

If I remove the CCleaner.exe can I avoid this or will I just get more nags because I haven't updated? 

Guest Stephen CCleaner

Does this mean it is now going to update automatically regardless of our option settings?

If I remove the CCleaner.exe can I avoid this or will I just get more nags because I haven't updated? 

Only in an absolute emergency. This is controlled via a Scheduled Task in Windows. The scheduled task can be disabled if you so wish, but this feature is there for your security. It's entirely up to you.

• Moderators

Have a read here

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=49069&do=findComment&comment=287836

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the info.

Since when did updating CCleaner become an "emergency" security matter? I've been using it, safely, for over 7 years without it requiring such a feature.

An emergency fix is probably only ever going to be used if a previous update has been found vulnerable or faulty in some way. That does not improve security for the user does it? It is a tool to fix a problem after the event or the danger has been discovered with all that implies. 

If an automatic/emergency update for some other reason had been in place during the earlier previously undetected hack it could have spread the problem not curtailed it. That is one of the types of reasons I don't like auto-updates. 

TBH I wait and check online before any install if there is a reported problem with all program updates from those unlucky saps who use auto-updates before I go ahead and do it myself. That has saved me from problems with Windows, AVs, browsers and a handful of other programs over the years too.