Crashes Windows 10 when cleaning

Hi, I really want to use CCleaner with Win10 but each time I run the cleaner even on the default settings my pc just restarts or crashes. When I run analyse or clean a warning on my taskbar first pops up saying my memory is being used too much and suggests closing ccleaner, though if I look in taskmanager my memory is fine at only 11% in use during the scan. When I click clean about halfway through my pc restarts or my display stops working and I have to press off button on pc. If you can't help me I'll be going back to SlimCleaner & SlimComputer. Thanks

Hi, could you please provide some details about your system:

1. Version of CCleaner you are running

2. Basic system spec, same as what CCleaner in its header

3. Information about how much memory Task Manager shows is being used by CCleaner when this issue occurs

CCleaner Free v5.08.5308 (64-bit)
Windows 10 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @3.50GHz, 16.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

When I just hit analyze my screen goes black and pc is unresponsive. Although the pc seems to still be running (fans & lights) if i look inside at my digital cpu temp it is very high as if my water pump stopped working so its definetly crashing the pc. I even deselected nvidia from the scan thinking thats why my screens were losing the display. My memory usage is only at 11% when started. Never had a cleaner program cause this especially just from an analysis scan. Really want to use this software since its so highly recommended.

Update:

I ran it again but first i disabled most other running programs. When i hit analyze the screen went out again but this time it came back on and I was able to see in task manager what happened. The scan pushed my memory usage from 9% up to 98% and stayed around 85% until scan completed. This time I was able to complete the clean function, and all scans now seem to use a normal amount of ram like only 1% instead of 100%. The registry scan worked well also. I'm not sure why this happened.

I'm getting the same problem - was using 507 and kept getting memory messages from Windows 10

Upgraded to 508 and thought this would solve the problem

Came back to machine next morning and found I couldn't see the screen or log in. Had to completely turn off the PC and do a full re-cycle to get it to boot.

Then saw the problem with cccleaner and memory again.

Not actually used it on Windows 10 yet - just been running in the background, monitoring.

Unfortunately I have had to uninstall it for the time being until Pirform sort out the problems

Same for me. I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday (upgrade from WIndows 8.1, not a fresh install).

From Task Manager Performance monitor I could see the memory suddenly shoot from 2.8GB (of 8GB) up to 7GB, then I would get a message asking to close CCleaner (or it would already be closed automatically). On a couple of occasions it crashed my computer and left it with a black screen and I'd get clicking/chirping feedback when I tapped the shift key (no other key would do anything).

This happened with the version of CCleaner I had before the upgrade (which was a couple weeks old) and also with the latest version which I downloaded to try and resolve this. Since uninstalling CCleaner my system has been 100% stable.

System is a Samsung with Intel Core i7-4500U @ 1.8GHz 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS.

By the way, I should add that this behavior happened when I was NOT actively using CCleaner. It seemed to occur as CCleaner was reviewing potentially wasted space in the background. At least once (and I think multiple times), CCleaner popped up a message about space it could save me immediately after the massive spike in RAM usage.

I was able to use CCleaner to successfully clean my registry after the upgrade, though :-)

I would also like to help with this issue as I have been using CCleaner and other Piriform products for at least 5 years. It seams as if it has something to do with the apps because even Edge isn't working properly after a full clean (not including registry cleanup). When I would try to restart I would get a "service exception error". I know Advanced Systemcare is also experiencing the similair issues right now. I'd like to offer more assistance, but this is now my 4th recovery (basic recovery doesn't work I recommend using EaseUS Todo Backup) and I thought same as above that 5.08 would fix your compatibitly issues with Windows 10.

• Moderators

I would suggest unticking browsers, history cookies etc in Ccleaner for now just and clearing history etc from with Edge itself for now. That is what I have and it works for me. Ccleaner still clears other areas without issue.

(Its the right hand side top of Edge page, three lines (hamburger) near star, then click on the clock like symbol)

I never use monitoring.

Many softwares are having to cope with new issues after Win 10 came out... I expected that didn't you?

Then the big update the other day may have changed other little bits. At the moment it's constant catch-up for all software devs. Give them some breathing time to catch up please  :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've been using CCleaner for several years - a brilliant product.

I've just run CCleaner 5.08 on a new upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor with 6GB RAM and had pretty much the same problem.  

When I "Run Cleaner" with Edge options disabled the memory usage goes through the roof at the Recycle Bin stage, though the bin is empty.  If I disable clearing the Recycle Bin, it all goes through fine.  

I have all options set to default except browsers Firefox, Chrome and IE which are set to just clear the Internet Cache, and all Edge options are unticked.  Monitoring is turned off.

Hopefully this bit of information might be of help to the developers.

Many softwares are having to cope with new issues after Win 10 came out... I expected that didn't you?

Actually, no. I would have expected issues during the beta but I very much doubt that there have been any major changes to Windows 10 since the last few release candidates.

I use a lot of different software and this is the only program that has had any issue whatsoever, and a pretty serious issue at that (capable of crashing the whole computer).

Does it surprise me that there are issues? Not really, particularly with a free program. But did I expect issues? No, and certainly not a system crashing one.

I'm a big fan of Ccleaner, but this is pretty poor.  I tested all my programmes after installing Windows 10 (around 30), and all worked a charm - not a single issue.  But, like others, my pc crashed when I ran Ccleaner 5.08. (64 bit)

BTW. it performed a registry clean successfully.  Seems to be cleaning that's problematic - emptying recycle bin when crash occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

Since CCleaner claims to be compatible with Win10 then NO I don't expect it to repeatedly crash my pc, and I really didn't expect to recieve such a useless attitude filled response from a so-called moderator who's clearly bleeding out of their.. wherever! :o

• Moderators

Since CCleaner claims to be compatible with Win10 then NO I don't expect it to repeatedly crash my pc, and I really didn't expect to recieve such a useless attitude filled response from a so-called moderator who's clearly bleeding out of their.. wherever! :o

What a pity you cannot be more polite.

After all, the post you are snipping a comment from was made over 2 weeks ago and if you read it...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=44159&do=findComment&comment=265023

you will see I made quite a few suggestions to try and help out.

It's almost as if you have resurrected the thread just to make a nasty comment.

If you take the trouble to look around some of the threads you will see comments and posts made by the Ccleaner devs saying they are working on it and other issues that have cropped up with Win 10.

Have a nice day.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

... and I really didn't expect to recieve such a useless attitude filled response from a so-called moderator who's clearly bleeding out of their.. wherever! :o

if that comment wasn't in breach of the forum rules (#1, 11 & 12), I don't know what is.

to have that twit Trump say it, and then have it trendy that others are quoting it is disgusting, degrading to women and highlights a huge social attitude problem.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

mta to be honest, if it had been directed to another member I would have banned gmorknada.

However as it was directed towards me, and I know what he said wasn't true, I realised he was probably just attention seeking,  and I refused to bite :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

no-one deserves to be treated in such a derogatory manner by such an obvious troll.

and you are dead right in your handling method, I would have just underscored it with a ban,

Feeling bad here. I might be a newbie here but I have enjoyed a 5 year relationship with CCleaner that was born out of frustrations with my then hard drive wiping solution, [competition product name removed] However since Windows 10 came out CCleaner has been installed but, effectively, switched off by deselecting everything as I have been suffering the 64 bit memory overload issue too. I have kept it installed so that I would be informed of an update which, I hoped, would solve this problem.

Today I was happy to see an update which I duly installed and ran (on my 2 week old recycle bin) only to see memory spike to 7.8Gb twice then black screens (dual monitor), quick "3 fingered salute" and I ran my System Explorer with only 1 screen returning, me being logged-out (???) and returning to a visible reboot of most my system applications. Naturally I restarted then looked to uninstall CCleaner to find it missing from Revo. Through Control Panel I started to uninstall to find my system freezing again. Finally it returned and I completed the uninstall. [Competition product endorsement removed]

Please find the root of this problem and fix it. Here's my system information for you.

Intel i7-4710HQ - 2.5GHz

8 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 4600 / Nvidia GTX 850M

Basically everything that should be dead-centre for compatibility. Over to you. I will monitor this thread and really hope to hear positive stories again soon. Thank you for everything to this point. I hope to be able to recommend you again to everybody who asks (i.e. plenty).

Good luck

• Moderators

I have moderated the above comment, please refrain from mentioning competitive software on the forum this is an official company website.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 months later...

I have been struggling with the same issue, and i would hope to not have to remove CCleaner (pro).

version 5.12.5431 (64bit)

I7-4790 cpu @3.6 Ghz, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 200 series

when i monitor the memory usage it creeps to about 20GB then i get the message.

post-74882-0-94072700-1450316842_thumb.jpg

Either the machine will reboot or i have to kill it (10 second Power press)

I have not unclicked the Edge and IE under WINDOWS tab,

Suggestions ?

• Moderators

hi @Fetustician and welcome to the forums,

even though the Devs read these posts, they may respond faster if you raise a ticket directly to them via the web site, it's one of the perks you have when you purchased your Pro version.

I was using win 10 and CCleaner works very well.  I upgraded to in 10 pro and when I run CCleaner it is emptying the recycle bin and i consistently get a low memory error and the it then crashes.

I have been using CCleaner for the last numerous years and never had 1 problem.

If this cannot be fixed  I will have to find another product.

I have 6Gbytes of hard memory and allocated 12 GB for virtual memory

• Moderators

Have you tried a fresh install of Ccleaner?

Also as it happens when cleaning recycle bin use this fix in case the bin is corrupted in some way (which happens more than you think)

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/recycle-bin-is-corrupted-windows

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I am having the same problem - but with Windows 7 64 bit SP1 Intel Core i5

CCleaner 5.13.5460 (64 bit) 

CC runs, then shuts down the computer.

is your PC crashing or restarting, screen goes blank or taskbar pops up error messages about memory?

and what have you tried so far?  reinstalled CC?