Bing Dynamic vs. CCleaner

Johnny_V

Hello, I just registered at this forum to post this issue.

This applies to users that have Internet Explorer as their default brwoser or have it installed in their system.

I don't know how this works if you don't have IE installed...

I just found out that if you have the Windows 7 theme "Bing Dynamic" (the one that uses an rss feed), and run CCleaner, the theme will stop working correctly, meaning it will no longer display the pictures downloaded via the rss feed of the theme, this happens because the feed will not redownload files marked as downloaded (blame Internet Explorer for this).

But I found a workaround, in CCleaner -> Options -> Exclude you have to add the folder c:\users\[your username]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet fles

If you can't find the folder you have to go to the folder options in explorer and enable the "show files and hidden folders" or just add a random folder and then change to the folder mentioned below.

Once you add the correct folder right-click the entry and select "manual edit" and add the following to the end of the text \Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg

It will now look something like this:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg

This will make CCleaner not erase the folder containing the Bing Dynamic image files, and thus the theme will keep updating whenever new photos come out keeping the older ones, but still eliminate the temporary internet files from Internet Explorer.

In the future, if you add more rss themes, or create one yourself that uses an rss feed, you have to find the correct folder name in the "Enclosure" folder in "Temporary Internet Files" and use the method above to add it to the exclusion table in CCleaner.

Have fun!

Johnny_V

• Moderators

Why not just Exclude this single path then you won't have to figure out ever again what the sub-folder locations are:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure

Why not just Exclude this single path then you won't have to figure out ever again what the sub-folder locations are:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure

I thought about that first, but since I don't know what more could the Enclosure folder contain than just the pictures sub-folders, I took the specific approach of just adding the Bing Dynamic rss feed folder. This way all the trash is cleaned and only the pictures stay.

You are probably right though, because if you add more rss themes they will create more folders in Enclosure, and finding each and everyone of them everytime you add an rss theme could be tiresome...

So I leave the question for you guys, do you know what the Enclosure folder is for and what it contains?

If the folder is safe than I guess we could just add the Enclosure folder to the exclusion and avoid future folder hunting.

Thanks for your feedback.

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for figuring this out! I was having problems with Bing Dynamic, and this must be it. I have the same question as tsullivan333, how do you get the RSS feed working again after running CCleaner? I've tried reinstalling the theme with no success.

Hello, I just registered at this forum to post this issue.

This applies to users that have Internet Explorer as their default brwoser or have it installed in their system.

I don't know how this works if you don't have IE installed...

I just found out that if you have the Windows 7 theme "Bing Dynamic" (the one that uses an rss feed), and run CCleaner, the theme will stop working correctly, meaning it will no longer display the pictures downloaded via the rss feed of the theme, this happens because the feed will not redownload files marked as downloaded (blame Internet Explorer for this).

But I found a workaround, in CCleaner -> Options -> Exclude you have to add the folder c:\users\[your username]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\temporary internet fles

If you can't find the folder you have to go to the folder options in explorer and enable the "show files and hidden folders" or just add a random folder and then change to the folder mentioned below.

Once you add the correct folder right-click the entry and select "manual edit" and add the following to the end of the text \Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure\{8EEA3A94-C94E-4379-9B54-FA51A0C655BC}\*.jpg

This will make CCleaner not erase the folder containing the Bing Dynamic image files, and thus the theme will keep updating whenever new photos come out keeping the older ones, but still eliminate the temporary internet files from Internet Explorer.

In the future, if you add more rss themes, or create one yourself that uses an rss feed, you have to find the correct folder name in the "Enclosure" folder in "Temporary Internet Files" and use the method above to add it to the exclusion table in CCleaner.

Have fun!

Johnny_V

Before reinstalling you need to delete the feeds entry in:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Feeds\http~c~f~fthemeserver~dmicrosoft~dcom~fdefault~daspx~mp=Bing&c=Desktop&m=en-US~.feed-ms

Once this file is deleted you will have no more problems reinstalling bing dynamic. The reinstall will work correctly.

• 5 months later...

Have fun!

Johnny_V

I can't see the Enclosure folder, (it is there, as I can navigate direct to it in expoere address bar) however I'm not able to create the folder as suggested as it wont allow me to create a new folder in Temporary Internet Files; nor drag and drop/copy and paste from else where.

I have full admin access, hidden files and folders are set to show, as well as system files. The Temporary Internet Files folder does look greyed out, but im able to go into it.

does any one have any advice? I would love to exclude Bing Dynamic from CCleaner.

• 7 months later...

I can't see the Enclosure folder, (it is there, as I can navigate direct to it in expoere address bar) however I'm not able to create the folder as suggested as it wont allow me to create a new folder in Temporary Internet Files; nor drag and drop/copy and paste from else where.

I have full admin access, hidden files and folders are set to show, as well as system files. The Temporary Internet Files folder does look greyed out, but im able to go into it.

does any one have any advice? I would love to exclude Bing Dynamic from CCleaner.

I too would like to exclude the enclosure folder...any thoughts? thanks

Never mind! It was the right click I was missing. Thanks for the help

Edited by qtrolazyg

• 1 year later...

Using Ccleaner add the exclude path c:\users\.....\Temporary Internet Files

Close Ccleaner

Open regedit (be careful!!!!)

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CCleaner

Edit the key Exclude<#> that matches the exclude path above and add the sub-directory "Enclosures"

It should look like:

PATH|C:\Users\<Your Name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Enclosure\|*.*

• Moderators

that's not really how you do that anymore, it can all be done within ccleaner, make an exclude entry, right click and choose manual edit

OLD THREAD IS OLD. THREAD CLOSED

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com