Not Cleaning Temp Internet Files

I installed version 2.17.853 on three computers all of which are running Win XP Pro SP3. This version does not clean temporary internet files. After running CCleaner I am able to access eBay, my home page, and any other site that requires logging in without logging in first. If I use Windows to delete browsing history I again need to log into these sites because temp internet files were deleted. But CCleaner does not remove these files as I am able to access these sites without the requirement that I re-log back in. I notice this behavior on all three computers.

Could you post some screenshots of before you hit run cleaner and after showing what CC did delete?

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Could you post some screenshots of before you hit run cleaner and after showing what CC did delete?

Screen shot attached. For security matters I have blacked out my last name. Note that temporary internet files are checked. Also note that none were cleaned. Do not tell me that it is my computer. Again, this is happening on three different computers. This is a major bug that needs fixing immediately.

post-12869-1236007787_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Just looking at your screenshot, that appears to be the list of files generated by the "Analyze" button, so nothing has been deleted at that point.

What's in that window after you actually select the "Run CCleaner" button?

EDIT: You just pipped me hazel.

What browser are you running? And what version of the browser are you running as well? This will help the developers if there truly is a bug.

Keith

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

What browser are you running? And what version of the browser are you running as well? This will help the developers if there truly is a bug.

Keith

Browser is IE7 v7.0.5730.13 same as when CCleaner was working properly.

Attached is screenshot after running CCleaner. Note that it cleaned only 6 temp internet files. I looked at temp Internet files immediately after cleaning and there were 84 left over that were not cleaned. After cleaning I was able to access my home page, eBay account, Google, and others that should have required me to log in again. Before updating CCleaner to latest version I always had to re-log into websites after cleaning. Now I do not because cleaning is incomplete.

post-12869-1236009303_thumb.jpg

post-12869-1236009303_thumb.jpg

Browser is IE7 v7.0.5730.13 same as when CCleaner was working properly.

Attached is screenshot after running CCleaner. Note that it cleaned only 6 temp internet files. I looked at temp Internet files immediately after cleaning and there were 84 left over that were not cleaned. After cleaning I was able to access my home page, eBay account, Google, and others that should have required me to log in again. Before updating CCleaner to latest version I always had to re-log into websites after cleaning. Now I do not because cleaning is incomplete.

First off they are cookies and you have Cookies selected to clean them.

Second. Most are tracking cookies by advertisers and should be blocked with a HOSTS file:

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Third. To keep cookies that you want go to Options then Cookies then select the cookie you want to keep on the left and move it to the right -> in Cookies to Keep.

This is all documented in the Users Guide.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Third. To keep cookies that you want go to Options then Cookies then select the cookie you want to keep on the left and move it to the right -> in Cookies to Keep.

He wants to delete them.... :)

link1.gif

First off they are cookies and you have Cookies selected to clean them.

Second. Most are tracking cookies by advertisers and should be blocked with a HOSTS file:

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Yes I have CCleaner set to delete cookies. So what is your point?

I know a cookie from a temporary internet file. When I go to internet options/browsing history/settings/view files I can clearly see the remaining temp internet files that CCleaner failed to clean.

I completely fail to understand how your "explanation" attempts to skip right past the fact that after running the new version of CCleaner on three different computers that my computers remember me and do not require me to re-log back into certain websites. If I use Windows to delete browsing history instead of CCleaner I will be required to re-log back into these same websites. It is quite obvious that CCleaner fails to clean my browsing history.

I did not come here to be made a fool of. I came here to report a bug. if no one wants to take me seriously I'll just go back to using Glary Utilities to delete browsing history.

rwingear,

No one is trying to make a fool of you. YoKenny misunderstood what you said in your original post. Just relax and let's see if the developers have anything to say about your situation and screenshots. A forum user like myself and moderators can only do so much. I think we've extracted as much information as we can about your situation.

Keith

link1.gif

hello i was having the same problem and two thing that i found was first the ccleaner would not clean the file if the floder was marked and hidding and the thing i did was i just went in and adding it the include files and folder i did this for the temp and the temp internet file and it now deletes them just fine and does all of them with no problem

hello i was having the same problem and two thing that i found was first the ccleaner would not clean the file if the floder was marked and hidding and the thing i did was i just went in and adding it the include files and folder i did this for the temp and the temp internet file and it now deletes them just fine and does all of them with no problem

Naturally it will not clean those items that are not checked. If you check my screen shots you will see that those items you mention have been checked.

What I am trying to explain is that I choose not to let the cookies on my system in the first place by blocking them with the HOSTS file.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm not able to recreate this, are any other members experiencing the same issue?

:)

MrRon

Yes, I'm experiencing the very same problem. I'm running Win XP, SP3 with IE7 on 3 computers. The program isn't cleaning my Temp Internet Files on all three computers. I have to go into IE7,Tools, Internet Options, Delete, Delete All. I've run CCleaner several times now on all 3 computers and it simply doesn't clean.

Regards,

Denise

Yes, I'm experiencing the very same problem. I'm running Win XP, SP3 with IE7 on 3 computers. The program isn't cleaning my Temp Internet Files on all three computers. I have to go into IE7,Tools, Internet Options, Delete, Delete All. I've run CCleaner several times now on all 3 computers and it simply doesn't clean.

Regards,

Denise

Welcome Denise

Are the Temp Internet Files in the default location?

What is the location they are in?

IE7Pro user

Welcome Denise

Are the Temp Internet Files in the default location?

What is the location they are in?

Thanks for the welcome. I just joined the forum today trying to get an answer to my problem.

Files are stored:

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/LocalSettings/Temp.Internet Files

Denise

I just tested every section of CCleaner ver 2.17.853 on my desktop (specs in signature) and it cleans every section that has something to be cleaned. :/

Hope this helps the cause!

Keith

link1.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I just joined the forum today trying to get an answer to my problem.

Files are stored:

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/LocalSettings/Temp.Internet Files

Denise

Are you running as Administrator or with a Limited User Account?

IE7Pro user

PROBLEM SOLVED. In IE7, they have added "security" to make the user's web surfing more private.

Temp Internet Files are now classed (in IE7) as protected operating system files. CCleaner won't clean them even though running the program shows them as being removed.

Solution: Open Windows Explorer. Tools>Folder Options>View.

By default, the box marked "Hide Protected Operating System Files" is checked. UNCHECK that box. (I already had the boxed marked "Show hidden files and folders" checked.)

CCleaner will now work as it's supposed to.

It's my own personal opinion that a newbie computer user should leave "Hide Protected Operating System Files" checked; an inexperienced computer user can do real damage if they don't know what they're doing. :(

However, this is the only way I know to make CCleaner work in IE7. Perhaps the program developers can find a work around for this problem.

Regards,

Denise