CCleaner v5.24

Grizzly

Interesting observation last night

In addition to my laptop I also have a little reconditioned Linx tablet which was Windows 8 but is now Windows 10 courtesy of the man who sells secondhand IT stuff.  It has a problem.  it can't do the latest Flash Player update.  Something complicated has gone wrong and for days it's been failing to install.

Last night I ran CCleaner on the tablet, expecting the usual refusal to clean.  Didn't happen.  CCleaner worked PERFECTLY on the tablet.  No missed cookies, no problem closing Edge.  Wonder if there's any connection to the failed Flash update.  Flash is built into Edge on Windows 10. 

CCleaner is still not working on my laptop which has the updated Flash Player. 

Worse and worse.  I have access to the church computer too.  Same age as mine, same OS Windows 10 64 bit. Using Edge browser and IE same as mine.  I have put free ZoneAlarm firewall and a different antivirus on that laptop from  my own laptop.   CCleaner works properly on the church laptop.  Same as it works on my tablet which has free ZoneAlarm Firewall but the same antivirus as my laptop.  Nothing I can do will make it work on my own machine.  My notebook has been "fiddled with" a whole lot more than the tablet I don't use much or the church computer I'm not supposed to fiddle with.....  Did I, and maybe others, sabotage our own pcs somehow when "customising" settings somewhere? 

Brought home the church's old Asus laptop recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista, running IE as a browser and free ZoneAlarm firewall and Avira antivirus.  Updated to the latest CCleaner and ran it.  No problem at all.  All cleaned.

Clearly my Edge on my laptop is broken.  A straightforward reset to default didn't work - nothing changed.  I am now planning to go down the route of uninstalling it completely (found a video on You Tube with instructions) and starting over with it.  As CCleaner is working perfectly on my tablet and both the church computers, all of which I set up with their various bits of software, then I think my notebook and Edge has the problem.  Not CCleaner.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am interested to know what options to unselect in IE parameters of CCleaner (for newer versions of CCleaner 5.22) to avoid the "misfunctionning" due to the new IE storing data (in others words : is all IE data affected by this new storage method ?).

Kill IE manually is a bit dangerous, some third party softwares use elements of IE for some functions : for exemple Kaspersky Internet Security to update bases and modules.

Thanks a lot.

• Moderators

some third party softwares use elements of IE for some functions : for exemple Kaspersky Internet Security to update bases and modules.

Most antivirus' utilize IE for downloading updates. If using the kill IE manually "trick" perhaps reboot the computer afterwards to avoid issues.

• 2 years later...

I am using the latest beta 5.56.003 and the cookie jar is still empty...as I do have some cookies to keep...I tried on another computer to empty all the cookies i keep...and they show up after that....but if you try to keep anything then the cookie jar on the left becomes empty....

I also tried downloading and installing about more than 10 older versions...but the problem is still there...and this is happening on Windows 10 64bit...

I used CCleaner with no problems on a windows 7 64bit for long time....