Drive Health: Warning

Roger Dodger

System:

Motherboard: ASRock H170 Fatal1ty

CPU: Intel i3 CORE 6100

Main HDD: Seagate ST 3000M001 (3 TB) 5 Logical Partitions, SATA #1

Before defragging, I scanned and repaired the E: partition, then uninstalled the two problematical programs (games), then cleaned the registry (with CCleaner), then attempted the defragging. I did scan the other four logical partitions, but they did not show any problems.

Problem: When analyzing any of the 5 Logical Partitions I get the following message: Health: Warning!

Defragger does not say what the Warning! relates to. What am I being warned about?

Also, its taking an inordinate amount of time to defrag one of the logical partitions (E: 1TB size, 75.1 GB used). Its been operating for around three hours now. The 'time indicator' can go from 15 minutes to over 12 hours. I know its doing something because the blocks switch colors (yellow [reading], green [writing]). After so long, its only at 26% defragging and 9 hours left to go.

I did Benchmark this drive, and got a lot of information in the 'Health' tab, Unfortunately, I can't make head or tails of the info. What's good, what's bad, and what is that Warning! about???

- It means that the HD could be in the 1st stages of failing. Run the progrma again, open the "Health" tab. Does any of the lines show up in a pink or red color ? Post a screenshot then we can see what's wrong with the "health" of the HD.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I hope this works (screenshot). The whole health tab won't show (its too big), but there are no entries highlighted in red (or any other color). The HD is about 11 months old. 

BTW, it took just over eight hours to defrag the E: partition, even though there is only 80 GB used on a 1 TB partition. You can see on the screenshot that the defrag was successful - 0% fragmented (started at 11% fragmented).

post-76335-0-84652600-1495093075_thumb.jpg

Click on the screenshot to make it bigger.

• Moderators

apart from some of those SMART figures indicating issues with the drive, slowness is also an indicator.

add the age of the drive to that and it's time for a new one while you still can read this one reasonably well.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

- To be frank I rarely do a full defrag of my HD. I only defragment the fragmented files.

- Sometimes a drive starts to fail after only a few months. A number of SMART values are at worrying highs.

- A more convenient way to show the SMART info is the following: Run Piriform's SPECCY. Then select (File >> Publish Snapshot) and post the link that pops up in your next reply. That snapshot also will show the SMART values of your HD.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Could be the reallocated sectors, then again some drives can be old with a pre-failure / old age flag on them and keep on working for a very long time.

I'd recommend downloading another tool that can see if the drive is damaged. Try something like GSmartControl it can perform surface scans of the hard disk(s) - as long as they're installed internal hard disks. Or instead you could use free software from the drive manufacturer Seagate to check the drive.

• Moderators

with all this testing going on, you are(will be) putting the drive through higher than average usage.

please make sure you have some sort of backup/image "just in case".

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.