Zero Assumption Recovery is better than Recuva

IS360

Hello:

My system is WinXp SP3.

I deleted a lot of pictures from my SD card.

I still used the SD card to store pictures.

After a few weeks, I wanted to rescue the pictures I had deleted before.

I used Recuva v1.28.424 with Deep Scan, but couldn't find anything.

I used Zero Assumption Recovery 8.4 Limited Evalution Version to scan, then several hundreds of deleted pictures appeared.

There were still four corrupted pictures not to be recovered.

Zero Assumption Recovery is better than Recuva.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

I hope Recuva can contend with Zero Assumption Recovery for excellent data rescue software.

• Moderators

ummm lets see here where to start ;)

Recuva=free

z-a=ZAR - Data recovery software at $(US)49.95 (unless all you want is photos)

recuva=portable

z-a= nope

recuva and z-a both will show many files and may even show them as recoverable. end product file is a different story. That said I use recuva with great regualrity and (when faced with a dead drive or what not) use a paid recovery program (Runtime software's getdataback)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Recuva seems to be able to find a good amount of deleted stuff, but I can't get it to work on my system. Every time it starts recovering, Windows comes up with a screen that says Recuva has stopped working and makes me shut it down. But I will say Recuva seems like a very nice product even though I can't use it.

• 2 weeks later...
I used Recuva v1.28.424 with Deep Scan, but couldn't find anything.

I used Zero Assumption Recovery 8.4 Limited Evalution Version to scan, then several hundreds of deleted pictures appeared.

Odd... I did a comparison test on a 512meg SD card I use with my camera. All files had been "deleted" by moving them to my PC.

ZAR found only 25 photo and video files totalling 85 megs.

Recuva found 174 files totalling 461 megs. I was able to recover them all and all were fine.

Where ZAR seems to fail is when files lose their original file names.

• Moderators

"Better" may very well be an assumption. ;) Especially if one tool recovers something another misses, and I think it's really all up to how lucky you are being able to get a irreplaceable file restored that's still actually usable.

"Better" may very well be an assumption. ;) Especially if one tool recovers something another misses, and I think it's really all up to how lucky you are being able to get a irreplaceable file restored that's still actually usable.

What I've found in my few tests is that DESPITE a lot of bells and whistles that some of these expensive recovery programs have, not all these features actually perform some useful purpose. The only indicator that matters is what files can be identified and recovered intact. Now so far Recuva is the best of the 3-4 I've tested... one so bad I didn't even mention it. Migo seems to have a demo up for an ancient product instead of their best one. But there are other circumstances besides simply deleting files from an SD card where all these bells and whistles DO perform some useful function. Time will tell.