Windows Defender, uncheck by default

CLJ

Hi there,

I recently learned CCleaner's default setting for Defender, e.g. checked, has caused lots of frustration and aggravation for helpers on the Microsoft Community Site. I recently joined so wasn't aware of this problem. Defender being checked by default, messes up it's regular scan schedule. When it's selected and CCleaner is run, Defender forgets it's already run the scheduled scan. This isn't acceptable and surely the devs of CCleaner must have known what the outcome would be!

Additionally, while I've been using CCleaner for yrs., many are skeptical of using such a utility in the first place. Is there any documentation on what exactly CCleaner does by cleaning each those entries under Applications? If not, there really should be. I realize much of it is self-explanatory. But for example, what does CCleaner clean with Skype checked, SUPERAntispyware, etc.?

I'd appreciate some clarification. If there's already documentation, I'm sorry for not checking first. I'm sure you'll reconsider Defender's default setting, since it causes problems and lots wasted time.

Thanks,
Carol

• Moderators

It's been known for several years now that the Windows Defender box should be unticked/disabled since it causes the issues you've explained.

There is official documentation here:

https://www.piriform.com/docs

But it's more on the usage and doesn't tell you what each entry cleans.

You can use /export after the main .EXE to export all of the cleaning .INI files that are embedded inside of CCleaner, example:

CCleaner.exe /export

It will then export the following .INI files inside the folder where CCleaner is installed (works with Portable version too):

winapp.ini, winreg.ini, winsys.ini

The only thing is some of the cleaning routines don't exactly spell out what they exactly do because they use some form of internal code using "SpecialKey" that's not know to us forum users and probably never will be since it is closed-source software, example:

SpecialKey1=N_MOZ_CACHE

Whereas things like DetectFile=, Detect=, FileKey1=, RegKey1=, ExcludeKey1=, etc., are shown in full detail so you know exactly how they're detecting and how they're cleaning in plain sight. If you've ever used or made any community-based winapp2.ini cleaning entries you'll likely understand these.

Edited by Andavari
added more info

Thank you for your response, info. and detailed explanation. Some of which is over my head. :) I'm just an average user. 

​Question: If it's been known for several yrs., why hasn't this been changed esp. since Windows 10? Can't the developers change this setting in an update in the near future? I don't know how much of an issue it was prior to Win10. Since 10, Defender is a complete AV-Antimalware app which runs a daily scheduled scan. I'm sure you're aware of that.  AFAIK, that's when it became a real problem. I would think they wouldn't want CCleaner to cause this type of problem for users. Right?

How does one do this, from the Run command? > You can use /export after the main .EXE to export all of the cleaning .INI files that are embedded inside of CCleaner, example: CCleaner.exe /export

​Thanks again,

Carol

• Moderators

The Windows Defender problem has had multiple posts over the years with people complaining about it being cleaned, yet it still remains enabled by default. Maybe not enough complaining about it, I don't know.

To export the CCleaner .INI files try this (note that you will need to correct the path listed below to exactly where CCleaner is installed on your system), example via Start->Run:

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /export

Then you just open the folder where CCleaner is installed where you can open the .INI files with Notepad to view them.

There shouldn't need to be lots of people complaining about it, should there? If the developers are aware there's a problem like this, they should change things, IMO. Don't any of you have direct communication with them, so you can possibly convince them to do the right thing? Either way, they must check the forums. In that case, they would know and just do not care. It shouldn't even be listed at all.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

Carol

• Moderators

until the setting is unticked by default, perhaps having the following line in the .ini file will prevent future accidents.

Exclude1=PATH|%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Results\|*.*||0|0|24

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just realized I hadn't chosen to get email notifications. ^_^  

FYI, I'm not having that issue with Defender, because I have Defender disabled. Adding that line to .ini file sounds good. Although, on the forums responders have been advising users to Uncheck Defender if they suggest using CCleaner, OR if users are having the resulting problem. I don't know how many have suggested running CCleaner in the past. A couple of us do currently, but as far as the MVP's I haven't seen any.

​Thanks to all three of you. I appreciate the time and input.

Carol

How about that! Woo Hoo! :) 

It's nice to have one Windows Defender issue eliminated anyway. I understand there's much improvement in Defender with the Fall Creators update that's being rolled out. I may even use it myself.

Big thanks to all of you, and esp. the devs who made this change!