CC Cleaner "Disk Wipe" Utility

Zeppelin

Hi Nergal, am hoping we can continue our "talk" here: would like to say first of all, if the "HD Blanking" utility cannot be used, then why is it in the CC Cleaner inventory?

You said that an (installed) CC Cleaner cannot wipe the HD because then CC Cleaner would have to wipe itself also, but what about a partitioned HD? Why cannot it wipe a partition that it is not located in?

Same goes for "CC Portable": why cannot CC Portable in a USB Drive be used to erase a HD through the USB system (the Portable CC Cleaner is not located anywhere on the HD).

One more question: have been reading on the Web about Index Data Files on Microsoft systems and there is a heck of a lot of paranoia on the Web about these files!!! There are lots of people trying to find ways and utilities that can get rid of these files, and CC Cleaner almost always gets mentioned as a good way to get rid of some Index Data files, but only some (the general concensus is to employ several utilities that can get rid of "X" amount of Index Data Files in the hope that between them they can eradicate most of them, but there are lots of conflicting views on what utilities should be used).

Is CC Cleaner planning to increase it's Index Data File removal capabilities (?) because there seems to be a real need for a single utility than can safely get rid of these things (I have experimented with a lot of the other utilities/scanners and have found most of them to be very unintuitively designed, and usually completely ineffective as well, with lousy "Help" sections too. Some can do stuff like erase things you don't want them to also).

Someone on the Web said that Index Data Files only get created by Internet Explorer use, and not by Firefox or Opera. Is this true?

If you see these questions Nergal, hope you don't mind posting a reply. Cheers!

Hi nodles, thank you for your answer; what made me put a question about this on Piriform Forums, was due to wondering why in CC Cleaner there is ( in Tools > Drive Wiper ) "Wipe - Entire Drive (All Data Will Be Erased)".

What actually is it's purpose/how is it supposed to be used?

Cheers!

From the documents: http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space

Method 2 (Manually wipe with Drive Wiper):

1. Select Tools > Drive Wiper
  2. Choose the type of wipe you require:

1. Free Space Only will leave your normal files intact
    2. Entire Drive will erase all of the files on the drive. WARNING, this means the whole of the partition will be erased. The drive will still be formatted, but all data will be erased. For safety reasons, this feature is disabled for the boot drive.

[*]Choose the type of security you require (Simple Overwrite is ok for most situations)

[*]CCleaner will warn you before proceeding

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

I see where you're coming from Zeppelin. A mental image of CCleaner "cleaning" itself into a little corner, and then disappearing up it's own secure delete.

In fact it's purpose appears to be for wiping other drives. When "Entire Drive" is selected, the C:\ system drive is greyed out.

I have a sneaking suspicion you may have already known that. :)

• Moderators

I'm confused! what "talk." is this in reference to another thread? Is this a continuation? or did I ask you to start a new thread?

Please excuse my ignorance but we moderators read between 20-50 posts easily in a short amount of time, and pose answers to many/most of those, we can't be expected to know which one a poster is talking of (sorry sad truth)

That said, my to fellow members seems to have covered my posterior on this one, I think that they've provided you with fairly compelling reasonings toward your query.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com