• Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

• Moderators

recently came across 360 Total Security and it seemed to be a hoax, just didn't look/feel right.

curious as to how long you have used it @kelly_phone and your thoughts?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I have just removed McAfee Total Protection 2015 as it slowed both my PC's greatly, tried suggestions from their support, several configurations to no avail on both Win 7 32bit and Win 8.1 64bit.

I now consider that I have wasted my money, teaches me to "trial" the software in furure which is what I am now doing with "Webroot SecureAnywhere Ver. 8.0.8.76" as recomended by my Bank

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

I now consider that I have wasted my money, teaches me to "trial" the software in furure

You basically have to because there's no way of telling how an antivirus or security product in general is going to react to a machine some better than others.

recently came across 360 Total Security and it seemed to be a hoax, just didn't look/feel right.

curious as to how long you have used it @kelly_phone and your thoughts?

Its very good indeed it has a couple of modes  and found some malware and virus yes First rate we done the AVG and Avaria thing. we wont pay for an anti virus yes what can one say Sorry lost for words  Do not know what to say about it really had it  over 6 months  I had it in my Imac   then was told to not use anti virus in it because macs do not catch colds  so I did.. The only thing I do not see the point of is it has an option to patch microsoft updates  and quite honestly The laptops a computer and perfectly capable of doing this by its self  me thinks. correct me if We're wrong  other than that fine good tool.

• Moderators

do yourself a favour and put it back in the Mac, they DO get viruses, I've seen it.

admittedly not many but that's only due to the fact that Macs have less than 10% global market share of the PC pie so everything relating to them is also similarly skewed.

my analogy is "buy a Ferrari, they are a reliable car, when is the last time you saw one broken down along the side of the road?".

it's all relative.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I am now using Panda FreeAV 2015.1 edition. Seems quite good and lightweight. I have discarded (temporarily possibly) Windows Defender because there is no way to open a scan via a right click.

It also seems both Panda and other detect some PUPs and adware too that MSE/WD doesn't.

As far as I know Windows Defender hasn't got any icon in system tray. I would be happy to know I am wrong though.

To open its GUI I usually do the route Control Panel -> Windows Defender

PS - I am talking about Windows 8.1 obviously.

I am using AVAST. But the current build/version is IMO too intrusive. When I disable the AV (for system maintenance) then some processes keep running in the background. Those processes simply pass on everything that happens but they seem to keep CPU at a higher level than I feel comfortable with. And there're a number of other small things that I don't like. All things combined makes it highly likely that I going to switch to another AV in the future.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am now testing AVG and I am quite satisfied with it, specially after manually instructing it to warn about PUPs and other adware. It detects OpenCandy and such even at installation. As far as I know (and tested) neither MSE, nor Panda nor Avast will issue any warning.

OpenCandy, hmm I don't know because it's wrapped "in a wrapper" hidden inside installers. Just saying.

When installing certain software that comes bundled with OpenCandy, AVG alerted me about an OpenCandy DLL in Windows temporary folder. And it could be deleted if needed. Taking that action didn't stop the software from installing properly.

• Moderators

It's certainly nice that AVG can stop it, some antivirus companies steer clear of doing such things possibly fearing being sued. Although OpenCandy in installers is the least of things I'd worry about.

• 3 months later...

Well I have an interest story for you guys I figured I would share.

My very first Anti-Virus was Nortons, but I have to say, I am glad I no longer that anymore. After that,I moved onto MalwareBtes, Avast and Superantispyware and became a malware hunter for them. I was with them for a long time, until lthis company called ZeroVulnerabilityLabs (ZVL) emerged and I left the other companies and decided to join them. They were the company responsible for ExploitShield, which is now called Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit after they bought out ZVL. I then left Malwarebytes and joined ClamAV, ClamWin, BleachBit, and Clam Sentinel and got into open-source software and bcame a "open-source junkie". Now I work for all of them, except for ClamAV, I am just a signature maker for them, and have been happy with them ever since.

ClamWin/ClamAV has made some major changes these past few months, dramaticly improving detection ratios that was introduce in .98 and .99 (currently in beta at ClamAV). Once ClamAV .99 comes out of beta, ClamWin will then release their beta version of .99 and once it has been released, we should be seeing some major improvments in detection.

I guess I am the only one who voted for ClamWin, too, haha.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

My problem with ClamWin used to be that it didn't have an auto-protect (always on scan); is that still the case?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

no

clamsentinel (need clamwin antivirus)

A free & full-featured real-time scanner for ClamWin Antivirus

• Adds a real-time scanner to ClamWin
  • Optional system change messages
  • Proactive heuristic protection
  • USB and removable drive protection
  • Uses ClamWin quarantine folder
  • Scan logs for real-time, drives, memory, and messages
  • Default configuration suitable for most users
  • Easy custom configuration via system tray icon
  • Supports Windows 98 and newer computers
  • Supports English, Italian, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Polish, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Indonesian and Azeri languages
  • Multiple user support

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators
It's 2015. They should've been there by now.

Who?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I assume he is talking about Clam Sentinel and ClamWin combining. The reason that never happened, yet, was because the original developer of Clam Sentinel, for some reason, did not want to combine them and he wanted to move away from ClamWin and make his own AV out of it, but, since the original seems to have abandon it, my parter and I decided to improve the heuristics of Sentinel and combined it with ClamWin. I agree with you though, that should have been done along time ago.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

New guy here, I've been using Kapersky for 4 years now, but lately not satisfied, seems it starting slowing down my laptop once I installed Win-10, so I removed it and went strickly Windows Defender, so far things are fine,but I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and CCleaner-Free Version.  What do you guys think of those two?  Thanks

I just found the CCleaner forum...