• Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

• Moderators

Oh dear Hazelnut you know me, and you know I wouldn't put up with ads popping up without getting rid of them.

--

Edited out my previous comment after giving it some more thought, sharing how I get rid of the ads would probably upset Avira.

Edited by Andavari

• 3 weeks later...

If memory consumption is a considering factor, that's one of the reasons I left AVG IS behind (plus the fact is was up for renewal anyway).

I have retired Norton Internet Security, it has 2 process running, using 6MB and 4MB respectively.

Having read an article in a PC mag and reading some reviews claiming similar benefits with the 'new' and improved Nortons, I can certainly confirm them.

Of course, it's not free which is usually another considering factor, but at $29AUD for 1Pc/1yr, it's priced competitively too.

(God, I sound like a Norton salesman)

HI,I USE NORTON,FREE WITH XFINITY FROM COMCAST,IVE HAD SUCH A GREAT EXPERIENCE EVER SINCE I DOWNLOADED IT,I LOVE IT

• Moderators

Hi patty and welcome. I shortened your three posts into one.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The last time I had Norton AV was in 2000-2001, I bought it off Amazon.com for around $20 dollars back when there really wasn't too many good free av's around, I think it was ok back then to the point I even became a member of their forums/support site. It really didn't impact that Win98 system that much but I do remember it having a bug that was difficult for Symantec to fix that would reset the computer clock and it would get progressively worse over several days - so about every 2-3 days the clock would have to be reset manually to correct the time.

• Moderators

probably a Y2K bug variant :lol:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...

So now it's 2015 and what free antivirus do you recommend these days?  I downloaded Avast Free and decided to upgrade to Avast Internet Security for the SafeZone feature.  That feature is not working at all for me (support has been useless so far) and I am not nearly as impressed with Avast these days as I was a few years ago.

Besides perhaps Comodo (which I don't like either) I realize that with any free antivirus version I would also have to download a free firewall.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

for the free ones, I've always found it hard to go past AVG.

. . .

Besides perhaps Comodo (which I don't like either) I realize that with any free antivirus version I would also have to download a free firewall.

. . .

Avast free here (on win xp & win 7), + an old version of Agnitum Outpost Firewall.  I have been looking at the free Outpost Free Security Suite, not for win xp but maybe for win 7.  Have not tried it.  Also use Sandboxie as a sort of backup for the firewall & AV.  Would be interested to hear what you decide.  :)

http://www.agnitum.com/outpost-security-suite-free.php

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Outpost free gets mixed reviews, and iirc, one cannot skip the antivirus installation (the AV is apparently the weakest component). 

I share your need and concern for an effective defense system. . .there is a lot of trash info out there about it. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Just to post an update:

For several reasons I decided to re-install Windows 7 and opted for the paid version of TrendMicro Internet Security 2015.  According to my local computer guru, this is one of the better all-in-one security.  For years I had been a huge fan of using free AV and Firewall protection, but according to him free AV doesn't quite cut it anymore.  The bad guys are now too plentiful and too smart.  Naturally nothing is full proof but he claims paid protection is now better than free protection.

I'll see what happens during the next year with TrendMicro  :)

• Moderators

Paid versus free; I think peoples opinions on that subject are like armpits - everyone has them and we all think everyone else stinks.

Same goes for which AV to use.

All I can say, after using AVG Free Edition for the best part of 10 years and installing it on every non-commerical PC that needs AV software, I have only had 1 reported case of a PC getting a virus and that instance I put down to a PICNIC issue as this particular user is heavily into 'tweaking' his system.

• Moderators

but according to him free AV doesn't quite cut it anymore.

There have been articles over the years where they have tested free vs paid antivirus software and the paid versions have only been marginally better. Although a free av from one vendor can be significantly better than a competitors paid av.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered McAfee Total Protection 2015 - comes with 3 user Licence.  

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Emsisoft Anti Malware

- i have this too

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

that's all Cheetah Mobile does, mobile apps.

• 1 month later...