CCleaner 5.22.5724 (64-bit) Bug

icemanpan

I updated CCleaner to version 5.22.5724 yesterday; when I load up the program, I get the splash screen; however when I click the "Run Cleaner" button, It goes through its scan and then closes CCleaner. I verified that "Shutdown After Cleaning" is not checked. I viewed the registry entries to see if there is any entries regarding shutting down after scan...

Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16.0GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Note: I do not have "Enable System Monitoring" or "Enable Active Monitoring" checked.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you

No,.. As I stated... "Shutdown after cleaning" is not checked....

I did try to check it....shutdown the CCleaner and reboot... try ccleaner again... unchecked "Shutdown after Cleaning"....shutdown ccleaner...rebooted... tried CCleaner again (with the "Shutdown after Cleaning" Un-Checked).... CCleaner still shuts down...

Thanks

Hi,

I have just installed this version of CCleaner on a client's PC that is running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  After it was installed I ran a Cleaner scan and I got an out of memory warning error which I tried to screen grab but the machine then locked up (not the Windows 10 anniversary locking issue as I have applied the fix for that).  I then re-opened the PC after powering it off forcibly and got back to the desktop and ran it again. This time it succeeded but was using over 3GB RAM as it was building the list of files that it could remove.

I have not noticed this issue with prior versions of CCleaner so wonder if this is either a conflict between CCleaner and Windows 10 1607 or a bug in CCleaner.

If anyone has seen this before and knows of a fix I would be grateful to know what it is.

Siv

Both settings, "Close Program after cleaning" and "Shutdown after cleaning" are not checked. I have tried checking them (individually) and rebooting and then unchecking then and rebooting- to see if that would make a difference.

I have even uninstalled CCleaner and verified all traces of it are gone from my registry and then downloaded and reinstalled it.... same issue.

I do not have the default settings "Enable system monitoring" and Enable Active Monitoring" enabled ... (i.e. they are not checked)

everything on the options->Advanced page is Unchecked

Please advise

Thank you.

• Moderators

Did you have 'save all settings to ini file' checked at any time?

Are you doing registry cleans as well? If yes, when are you doing them in the sequence of events?

Would you say your situation is similar to this one?

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46781

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Did you have 'save all settings to ini file' checked at any time?

Are you doing registry cleans as well? If yes, when are you doing them in the sequence of events?

Would you say your situation is similar to this one?

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46781

The problem that I am experiencing is similar to that post.

I usually run ccleaner from the shortcut on my desktop with no additional command added. It used to work without any problems, in fact I used it to clean my system before I upgraded to the newer version. The problem began immediately after I upgraded to the newer version.

The sequence of events varies......

Sometimes I just double-click the CCleaner shortcut, click "run Cleaner" from the splash screen and wait for it to complete its process, and then I click "Run Cleaner" again to repeat the process once again.

Other times, I may perform the above steps and then click "Registry" -> "Scan for Issues" -> "Fix Issues"

To sum it all up in a nutshell,... Everything was working fine until I upgraded to the newer version.

CCleaner's default installation turns on "System Monitoring", and "Active Monitoring".

I turned those settings off through Options -> Monitoring -> "Un-checking" "Enable System Monitoring" AND "Un-checking" "Enable Active Monitoring" (Note: These two settings are currently enabled by default)

However, I have always turned those settings off ever since they added them to the CCleaner Program (Besides, the disabled settings have never caused an issue before)

As for the question, have I saved all settings to ini file at any time... that settings is Not checked. I have had that setting un-checked for a very long time. I have checked and I do check regularly for any changes after I upgrade CCleaner to ensure that the update didn't change any of my personalized settings. Sometimes an update/upgrade will change my settings upon installation, other times it keeps my settings... This particular update to version 5.22.5724 (64-bit) did not make any changes to my previous settings. However, during my troubleshooting of this problem, I performed a completely uninstalled CCleaner. I then downloaded a fresh company from Piriform's web page and installed it... after the installation completed, I had to manually change all of the default settings back to my previous settings as would be expected from a fresh install.  In any case, the issue remains; the fresh install made no difference.

• Moderators

Thanks for the clear and concise write up.

So it looks like it might be something unique to your machine and installed software perhaps.

Do you use any other tuneup type softwares ?

What av do you run?

Are there any other users on the machine?

And last of all does the same thing happen if you run ccleaner after you boot into safe mode?  (hold down shift key while selecting restart and machine should boot into safe mode)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the clear and concise write up.

So it looks like it might be something unique to your machine and installed software perhaps.

Do you use any other tuneup type softwares ?

What av do you run?

Are there any other users on the machine?

And last of all does the same thing happen if you run ccleaner after you boot into safe mode?  (hold down shift key while selecting restart and machine should boot into safe mode)

I use CCleaner, MalwareBytes AntiMalware and occasionally MalwareBytes anti-Rootkit. For my AV, I use Kaspersky's Internet Security Version 17.0.0.611(B)

There are no other users on my system, and I have not yet tried it in Safe Mode... I will test that shortly; It's just weird that it "literally" worked fine, and then @1 min. later (after upgrading to newer CCleaner version) it didn't work. No other changes occurred on my system during the time It took to run CCleaner (older Version) and the installation of the newer version...

Also, the only item that is always running in the background from the above list is Kaspersky's AV. In fact, I prefer to keep my system running lean, i.e. ... running with minimal items running in the background.

I figured out the problem; Kaspersky Internet Security application manager prevented the new installation of CCleaner from working correctly. Apparently, the older version of CCleaner was 'grandfathered' in to Kaspersky's settings for CCleaner; when I installed the upgraded version of CCleaner, Kaspersky did not allow it to be installed under Ccleaners previous credentials. I have no idea why it did that, but I added CCleaner to the "allowed applications" list and now everything works correctly.

Thank you for all the suggestions and help that led me to the corrective action.

After installing the updated ccleaner, my MSN home page in IE11 always shows a physical location in the weather area as Alabama, and I am in Meridian Idaho. My ISP is Cableone.net, and I don't know if my Cable provider is in Alabama. I have to physically change the weather location each time I boot my computer. If I go to Lowes or Home Depot.com to find an item, it shows Alabama locations only. I have read on a problem report that this was caused by the latest update of ccleaner. Anyone else seen this problem?