Does a CCleaner equivalent exist for linux?

bardcorn

I've been making the switch from windows to linux(currently using ubuntu 7.04 which is debian based) and I absolutely love CCleaner for windows and I'm curious if CCleaner has a linux equivalent(preferably for a debian distribution) out there some where that isn't a royal pain in the butt to use?

• Moderators

I played around with linux for a few weeks and I didn't see anything like it.

You have to remember though that ubuntu includes the option to clear all system logs in one of the menus.(its the middle one on the top left.. sorry I can't be more clear.. I'm using windows still as I didn't like linux). Plus firefox has built in cleaning. Tools>Clear Private data.

I know thats not as good as CCleaner but I think thats probably the best your going to get. :(

At least you don't have a registry that needs cleaning in linux.(thats about the only thing I liked about it. :P)

I've been making the switch from windows to linux(currently using ubuntu 7.04 which is debian based) and I absolutely love CCleaner for windows and I'm curious if CCleaner has a linux equivalent(preferably for a debian distribution) out there some where that isn't a royal pain in the butt to use?

Most temp files are stored in /tmp or /var/log and these are automatically emptied by a cron cleanup. The only things to clean up would be personal data and config files, which is different for each user. It's not really necessary to have CCleaner for linux. Since apt-get is a good package manager, with the correct options uninstalled programs should not leave anything behind.

• 10 months later...
Most temp files are stored in /tmp or /var/log and these are automatically emptied by a cron cleanup. The only things to clean up would be personal data and config files, which is different for each user. It's not really necessary to have CCleaner for linux. Since apt-get is a good package manager, with the correct options uninstalled programs should not leave anything behind.

I see a lot of temporary files in my browser caches, I was wondering if you

<br>would be willing to give me any pointers about how to schedule a cron

<br>job to delete those files every time I close Ubuntu 8.04.

Thanks,

MIke

Just clear those out with firefox's "clear private data" feature.

Heh, I was thinking of Opera, but I looked around and it has a feature to clear

the cache on exit, should have looked before posting... thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
BleachBit is definitely a CCleaner rival.

It sort of is, but seriously needs some growth as in a built-in cleaner maker for end-users to even be considered a viable rival in my opinion. I just started using it, and it will definitely stay installed. I really like the descriptions it has.

That's true. Plus, BleachBit isn't as popular as CCleaner, so if it wants to be really competing with CCleaner, it's going to have to get more users. I seem to be liking BleachBit a little bit more than CCleaner on my computer though, no offense to Piriform.