Unused File Extensions

martinsmithson

Hi All!

My first post regarding a recurring problem with CCleaner.

I've been a CCleaner (slim version) fan for well over a year and enthusiastically recommend (almost insisting) it to friends.

A few months ago, I added a TV tuner card to my PC, an Intel 2.8 GHz Pentium D with 1 GB RAM, etc. The tuner card uses audio and video codecs, and CCleaner's Registry scan likes to remove "Unused File Extensions" but there are a few that are IN USE and that's why I am posting here today.

I am updated to version 2.01.507 (slim version), and, in addition to several other extensions, Registry scan consistently wants to delete .ax, .pf and .s3 file extensions.

1) .ax - a used file extension

If this file extension is deleted (without creating a .reg backup), the AC3Filter (audio codec) no longer runs and the software must be removed and reinstalled. Sadly, after reinstalling, CCleaner/Registry scan wants to delete the .ax file extension once again. The .ax file extension must be registered by the installing AC3Filter software, else it would not be available to the TV tuner software programs.

2) .pf - a used file extension

Here, I am confused why CCleaner/Registry continues to add the prefetch extension, .pf, to the Unused File Extension list when the Windows/Prefetch directory is full and, among other programs that employ .pf extensions, Firefox's prefetch option is fully enabled.

3) .s3 - a used file extension

The .s3 extension is intrinsic to my ATI graphics card and deleting it would compromise the s3 controller drivers. When I allow CCleaner/Registry to delete them (again, without creating a .reg backup), the ATI drivers and control center software would have to be removed and reinstalled.

Fortunately, CCleaner/Registry scan allows the user to uncheck "supposed" Unused File Extensions and I have been unchecking .ax, .pf and .s3 whenever I run CCleaner/Registry scan. Not related to .ax, .pf or .s3, the remaining file extensions ) are deleted without any complications or adverse effects to their respective software programs - as far as I know.

I am unaware of a CCleaner/Registry option to EXCLUDE "user specified" extensions, and would like to continue using the cleaning program. However, having to constantly uncheck "supposed" Unused File Extensions, when I know they are "in use" or intrinsic to necessary drivers and controllers, is becoming an annoying issue and is beginning to destroy my confidence in CCleaner's ability to work without harming or creating problems with software running on my PC.

Interestingly, this "Unused File Extension" issue did not appear to be a problem with previous versions of CCleaner, two or three releases ago. Unfortunately, I did not keep a copy of the downloaded (slim) program and therefore cannot test this statement. Then again, given the faithful CCleaner service that I have enjoyed and come to rely upon, as I mentioned previously, the Registry issue is destroying my confidence in CCleaner.

Prior to posting, I did conduct a search for "Unused File Extensions" and read most of the threads. After consistently reading that "Unused File Extensions" were SAFE to remove, specifically suggested more than twice by the forum moderator(s), I had to post my question because there are a few (on my system) that are NOT safe to remove.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and or guidance.

Martin

• Moderators

You can add those registry locations into the exclude list. Note the inputting of exclusions has to be done manually therefore taking a screenshot then pasting it into an image viewer is very helpful, that way you'll know exactly what to type in.

If CCleaner won't let you input the exclusions take a look at this thread to learn how to input them manually.

You can add those registry locations into the exclude list. Note the inputting of exclusions has to be done manually therefore taking a screenshot then pasting it into an image viewer is very helpful, that way you'll know exactly what to type in.

If CCleaner won't let you input the exclusions take a look at this thread to learn how to input them manually.

Thank you very much, Andavari.

I did as you suggested and per your instruction, and the problem has been resolved. :)

Thanks again!!

Martin :D