Move files to the START of the drive

Neounk

Using defraggler has placed some files at the END of the drive. This is a SERIOUS problem because I now want to partition the drive (Without formatting). I can't shrink the drive at all because there are a few files right on the end of the drive, making partitioning impossible. I've tried using defrag free space, which moved a lot (but not all) away from the end of the drive. Is there a way to move this closer to the start of the drive, any tools that can do it?

I've been wrong all these years believing partition volume isn't necessarily contiguous? That space could be widespread on the disk?

1 hr later EDIT: Some prowling on the Easeus site hints the space probably should be all together, but can be anywhere on the disk. Correction/explanation invited.

When you defragged freespace did you use the 'allow fragmentation' option? If not, you might try it. That option does a better job of recovering all the free space.

Theoretically Defraggler shouldn't move any files to the end unless that option's selected. Go to Settings>Options>Defrag Tab and make sure 'Move large files to the end of the drive' isn't checked. If it is, uncheck it and run 'Defrag Freespace (allow fragmentation)'.

• 6 years later...

Yes I totally Swear by this app it is a god-send to all geeks worldwide and yes there should be an option in this app to put all files or file types or folders at the start of the drive, like let's say like your windows folder or system 32 where all ur dll files are and as to the topic of this tread directly well I use EaseUS Partition Master. Its totally awesome I'm also pretty sure I got it off piriform but I can't recall, all I know is this is my two app combo along with EasyBCD to solve all my PC headaches and with these 3 apps no pc nubcake could ever go wrong. There are bunches of tutorials on youtube anybody could follow, yes I've defraged with defraggler, swapped about edited and such, moved my OS about with this partition manager and never once not had a problem in years.
All these apps are free and don't shove crap in your face and no annoying pop ups or dogey stuff, and that's why I swear by them to everybody I know an' every install I have all run these 3 apps str8 after i install my gfx card and sound card drivers.
Not really a forum kinda guy but what else is there to do while defraggling my windows install?

Hope this helps somebody though >.<

Quick edit forgot to mention i use CCleaner also this is also a must have app btw cleans out all the crap that hogs space and makes defrag take little less time and gets rid of much unwanted crap and its all automated :D

• Moderators

What on earth is this meandering vacuous discourse? If you have anything to say start a new topic instead of exhuming a six-year-old thread.