Boot-time defrag

mike42

This has been asked before, but I found no hint on what's gonna happen.

I think an option to schedule a defrag at boot-time of pagefile, MFT, system files, metadata, ... would be very important, as these are never touched (by defraggler) when windows is up and running. Most other defrag programs offer such an option, btw.

Maybe some devs at piriform could chime in at this point?

thanx,

Mike

Yes, we are still working on this feature and hope to have it in a release soon :)

MrRon

That's good to hear, indeed! This would make Defraggler a fully featured program and a true competitor to other (expensive) defragers.

Looking forward to it very much! :)

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I have some suggestions as to what it could POSSIBLY contain:

The options to defrag pagefile.sys etc... could be placed in a Boot-time section of defraggler's menu in the UI and all you have to do is simply uncheck or check (like the files) the options you want and they will be scheduled for next start-up.

It might even have that start-up page that shows how much is being processed, what is being processed similar to the CHKDSK page when you schedule a disk check... Something like this thing below...

"Defraggler is now defragmenting your paging file"

...........................................................................50% Processed and Defragmented

I don't even know how the devs could do this but I have high hopes for them. ;)

Suggestions only, you might or might not like them; you may even hate them, but I'm just speaking my mind...:P

I'm only a noob alright?

I have some suggestions as to what it could POSSIBLY contain:

The options to defrag pagefile.sys etc... could be placed in a Boot-time section of defraggler's menu in the UI and all you have to do is simply uncheck or check (like the files) the options you want and they will be scheduled for next start-up.

It might even have that start-up page that shows how much is being processed, what is being processed similar to the CHKDSK page when you schedule a disk check... Something like this thing below...

"Defraggler is now defragmenting your paging file"

...........................................................................50% Processed and Defragmented

Hi,

To me, defragging / compacting the directories in contigous clusters should be THE feature of the boot time execution.

We always could manage to have a compact pagefile thru SYSTEM PROPERTIES/ADVANCED/PEFORMANCES. Isn't it ? :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

To me, defragging / compacting the directories in contigous clusters should be THE feature of the boot time execution.

We always could manage to have a compact pagefile thru SYSTEM PROPERTIES/ADVANCED/PEFORMANCES. Isn't it ? :rolleyes:

It's not always the case : if I consider my own drive usage, system files have spread allover the partition => they are not defragged/compacted when windows is running, and they remove all hope of having large contiguous files ; therefore my pagefile is cut in 25 pieces (even after disable/enable pagefile) !!

boot-time defrag/compact is my only hope !!

Welcome matheret

therefore my pagefile is cut in 25 pieces (even after disable/enable pagefile) !!

boot-time defrag/compact is my only hope !!

Have you tried PageDefrag?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897426.aspx

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome matheret

Thanks ;)

Have you tried PageDefrag?

I use pagedefrag for some time now, and just love sysinternal tools in general. But pagedefrag has a fixed list of files to defrag.

I've just upgraded to the new version of Defraggler, and the interactive map (good improvement, BTW) shows me that... it's not files that have spread, as isolated blue squares (see attcht) display "no files are in the block" : so, what ? NTFS internal structures ? directory entries ? :(

FYI : 16.7GB partition, 2GB pagefile, defragged and freespace-defragged

post-25992-1231859417_thumb.png

post-25992-1231859417_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, we are still working on this feature and hope to have it in a release soon :)

MrRon

Hi, it's been a while since the status of this feature has been mentioned. So I've been wondering, how is it coming along? When do you think it will be implemented in a public release? What else will the "Boot-Time Defrag" feature be able to do, besides a full defrag? What will be/are it's settings?

I don't think that has to be a boot-time defrag. To my knowledge, it is possible to defragment folders (and, for example, place them at the beginning of a volume) online while Windows is running normally.