Cleaning dowsn't seem to work

cryptogram

I've tried an analyse then a clean. Then I do an analyse and there seems to be a whole lot left to clean. So do a clean. Then another analyse and there seems to be the same number of files to clean. It's never ending.

Also, why does CC offer to clean IE files when I don't have IE? There's always about 5mg of IE files to delete.

What's up, Doc?

• Moderators

Check in yor Options > Advanced that you have not got 'Only delete files In Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours' & 'Only delete files in Recycle Bin older than 24 hours' ticked.

If you have these ticked then it will see the files when you analyse, but does what it says and only deletes older files when you Clean..

IE files storage locations are used by lots of other Windows applications as well as IE.

So even if you never use IE there will still be temporary files stored there and CC just classes anything in those locations as IE files.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

This is getting me down. I've done as you suggested and unchecked 'Only delete files In Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours'. So I do an Analyse and find, amongst other things, 5121 kb of stuff in IE (3 files). So I do a 'Clean'. Then an Analyse. I now find there are still 5121 kb in IE but just in 1 file. So I do another Clean. Apparently 5121 kb in 1 file in IE has been deleted. So I do an Analyse. There's still 5121 kb there!!!! For God's sake, what's happening? I can go on like this forever.

• Moderators

These will be temporary file(s) created by a Windows component to store data 'on the fly'.

The component has reserved so many kb of memory for these files, which is why the size doesn't change no matter how many files there are.

You can delete (clean) these files which will remove the content, but the Windows component will almost immediately recreate them to store data in.

Think of this type of file like a storage jar.

You can empty the jar, but it's still there and it's still the same size. (It's just waiting for something to be put in it again).

You can throw it out altogether, but someone immediately comes along and puts an identical one in its place.

If you right click on 'Internet Explorer' after analysing and 'view detailed results' you can see the pathname to this file which may help you work out just what is creating it.

You can right click on that pathname and 'go to containing folder'.

If you have file explorer setup to show you 'type' then this should also tell you just what it is.

If it's realy annoying you then 'view detailed results', right click on the pathname, and click 'Add to Exclude list'.

CC will then ignore it and you won't see it again.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

OK. Thanks Nukecad. Now you've explained it, I'm happy. I'm not annoyed with the IE files per se. It just seemed to me that CC wasn't getting rid of stuff. The trouble is my computer is still dead slow from time to time, which is why I tried CC in the first place.

• Moderators

There can be many causes for a slow running computer- anything from too many things loading at startup, slow broadband, something wrongly hogging resources, etc.; right through to a malware infection.

CCleaner is a good place to start.

I would also recommend running scans with Malwarebytes3, Junkware Removal Tool, and AdwCleaner.

You can find more about, and download, those 3 here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/products/

Usual disclaimers - Whilst meant for users with little or no experience these things can still have risks - You should make a backup before using - I have no connection to Malwarebytes - Other, similar, products are available.

If your still having problems then take a look at the links in item 10 of this:
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=4

At any one of those you will find people who will take you step by step through checking your computer and getting it running properly again.
They will ask you to run a few programmes and send them a few logs.

If you use their services then follow their instructions carefully.
Though primarily there to help remove malware they are quite happy to look for anything else that may be causing problems.
And they are nice people who give their help for free.

One thing, they are nice people, none of them will help anyone who has pirated software on their computer. (I'm not suggesting for one moment that you might have). It does happen now and again, they sometimes give one warning to remove it.

• 2 weeks later...