CCleaner Community Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. crizal

Windows 10 1909

@hazelnut, @nukecad, @Andavari -- problem officially solved. Final solution was to clean install 1909, uninstall the Intel Graphics Command Center and then reinstall it. I don't really need it but it's there and working if I do Yes, an early holiday present! Thanks again to all for your valuable insight. 😊
  3. Maybe you can report this to the developers as a bug. It is easy for them to query if the registry key for CocCoc already exists and if the additional keys/values they want to add are necessary or not. It looks like a bug, because this only happens with the registry key for CocCoc. In the registry key for Chrome they do not add any additional keys/values (if Chrome is not installed). The only solution would be to modify the Detects for all Chrome/Chromium entries. But this would be a lot of effort because of an obviously buggy program.
  4. As said above some system, and application, files need to have duplicates in more than one location in order to work properly. If you remove one then unexpected things may start to happen. A Windows update will also leave duplicate system files for a while (as a backup), Windows will (should) automatically remove the uneeded copy after a time (once it's sure that it is unneeded). Unless you are a computer repair expert then it's best to leave system files well alone and only ever remove duplicates of your own files - photos/videos/documents/music files/etc.
  5. If any Winapp2.ini user also uses program "Internet Download Manager" but does NOT use Chrome or Chrome based browser, the user is subject to a potential issue/conflict when you update Internet Download Manager (IDM) to version 6.35 Build 12. This new update inserts a registry key HKCU\Software\Cococ to permit an IDM browser extension to be added into the Cococ browser (IDM adds this registry key irrespective of whether the Cococ browser is installed or not). Many Winapp2.ini cleaning modules for Chrome and Chrome based browsers perform a Detect=HKCU\Software\Cococ to determine if this chrome based browser (Cococ) is installed on the user system. Therefore once the user updates to IDM v6.35 Build 12, he/she may start seeing numerous inapplicable Chrome cleaning modules in the Applications tab when the user installs a new Winapp2.ini and performs the TRIM. There is no "clean" solution to this problem that I can think of....perhaps Robert or APMichael can ?? What I have done on my systems is add a Custom module to my Winapp2.ini as shown below to delete this registry key HKCU\Software\Cococ [Internet Download Manager Registry *] LangSecRef=3024 Detect=HKLM\Software\Internet Download Manager Default=False RegKey1=HKCU\Software\CocCoc Obviously I do not know what the IDM developer's plans are to add more browsers to IDM's supported browsers, but additional browser keys may show up in future IDM updates that will result in the same problem.
  6. great thanks for this clarification. to sum it up - is it not recommended to delete one of each 2 files which were found in the search? as in the registry cleaning you can delete any files which were found in the scan ?
  7. An early Xmas present for crizal !! Good troubleshooting
  8. Am assuming there are no settings for the CC 'Duplicate Finder' to search for duplicate folders (ie with all identical subfolders and files) ? Just trying to make sure am not missing something. Thanks.
  9. Yesterday
  10. There could be several reasons for this. Recuva deep scan runs a normal scan first, so you will see all the deleted file names presented from the MFT. If you have used the 'native' WFS then the file names will be there in their original form. If you have used Drive Wiper then the same number of file names will be there but the names will be in a variable ZZZZ.ZZZ form. In both cases the file data will have gone. You might also have the Show Non-Deleted Files option checked in which case you will see a very large number of live files listed. All these files are 'recoverable', but the wiped ones should return zeroes. If the files found are from the deep scan (their names are [000123].ext or similar) then there are some circumstances where a WFS fails to completely wipe the device. Are the deep scan files all relatively small, say 20k or so or less? I should check the files with names in the Header pane of Recuva to see if they contain zeroes. If so all is fine. You could select all deep scan files and run a single pass secure delete. This will clear those files from the device.
  11. trium

ublock users

ublock v1.24.0 gorhill released this Nov 18, 2019 Changes: The badge for the cosmetic filtering switch in the popup panel has been revisited so that it will from now on be evaluated on-demand only, which occurs when hovering the mouse cursor over the cosmetic filtering switch: Closed as fixed: report-uri / report-to rejector RegExp is broken global onMouseDown handler doesn’t handle SVG links Regression: tabs created by user are closed by popup filter Switch filter inputs to type="search" Performance of the per-site switches counters Expand bidi-trie code to hold more types of filters Block element preview window overlays object to be blocked Notable commits with no entry in issue tracker: Save magic compiled/selfie format values in cache storage Support keyboard shortcut to open popup panel Use request as its own context when none available
  12. Software updater --> on the right side -> the two buttons "update" and "refresh" <--- two different words and meaning/senses in german there -> "aktualisieren" and "aktualisieren" perhaps other translations: refresh = wiederholen/auffrischen/erneuern
  13. nukecad

Windows 10 1909

Good to hear that you seem to have found the issue - and even better found a solution.
  14. Hello folks, I'm selling my old laptop on the bay and I want' to wipe the free space of the C:. I've tried a couple of times but Recuva deep scan always finds almost 200,00 recoverable files. I used it on the D: partition and it wiped that fine. Any ideas? Thanks
  15. crizal

Windows 10 1909

Many thanks to @hazelnut, @nukecad and @Andavari for a lot of good ideas, suggestions and information. I may have stumbled on something which I'm testing out now. Doing the upgrade from 1903 to 1909 via Windows Update yet again, I took a very close look at the error in Reliability History. As we know, it says "Runtime Broker has stopped working". Delving into the details, it mentions that the faulting module is something called settingsenvironment.desktop.dll. Runtime Broker is most often associated with apps and by the name of the faulting module, I immediately started thinking graphics -- can't explain why but I did. My computer has been updated from the Intel legacy graphics driver to the new DCH driver. Installation of the DCH driver also installs the new Intel Graphics Command Center app from the MS Store. That also uninstalled the old Intel Graphics Control Center which doesn't work with DCH. On a hunch, I uninstalled the Command Center. So far, no errors. Could simply be that app and I have read in the past that some people have been having issues with it. If this holds up for a few days, that's the answer. I won't miss the Command Center as there's nothing in there I need. I'll be posting back later in the week and hopefully this detective game will have been solved. ☺️
  16. You lot really shouldn't have to mess around with your firewall security for that. Modern versions of CCleaner can hang/freeze if it's blocked from phoning home, such as if there are firewall rules blocking it outbound web access, or even the HOSTS file could cause it if for instance blocking Avast and Piriform URLs. A really easy way to figure out if something on your system is blocking outbound for CCleaner is to: Open CCleaner and then go into 'Tools > Software Updater', if it freezes that's a good indication that either your firewall or HOSTS file is blocking it from phoning home and it can't deal with it and thus freezes - doesn't matter if it's the freeware version either the freeze will/should happen.
  17. I've always seen two services listed in Reliability Monitor's history that have "stopped working" TPMProvisioningService.exe ("Intel iCLS Client") and ZeroConfigService.exe ("Intel WiFi). I just ignore it because they're out-of-sight thus out-of-mind and they seem to do what they need then "stop working" supposedly. And it hasn't been something a clean install can fix.
  18. Leaving ESET out of the discussion because this forum knows why they flag the installers. There's usually a few particular av engines on VT that flag allot of legitimate software. And yes if those av's are creating too many false positives they should probably be removed. I simply ignore the results from av engines that are known to produce too many false positives but since VT uses them it can cause people to not install software that's being falsely detected.
  19. Maggi, I turned my firewall off from accepting 3rd party cookies, and it fixed the problem as well. Just be sure to turn your firewall back on after scanning. Allan
  20. I finally found the problem. I went in and turned the firewall off, finished the cleaning and everything is good.
  21. It's something you see with a lot of software on Virus Total. (Not just Speccy). There are nearly alway one or two of the engines that report false positives, the other 65 (including all the 'big boys' report it as clean. It's usually the same 2 or 3 engines that report FPs. Either they are too being cautious, their definitions are not updated often enough, or they are simply poorly written, make your own mind up which. Most regular VT users would not be bothered about 2/67 flagging an item, especially when it's those particular AVs that are throwing the flags. In my opinion, and I'm not the only one, those particular AVs should be removed from the VT listings. I, and others, suspect that they may be doing it deliberately so they can claim that they 'find more' than major AVs.
  22. Probably not the same issue, can you start a new thread and with it include a debug log showing the bug. Here's how to run a debug https://forum.piriform.com/topic/37347-ccleaner-debugging-instructions/
  23. I have the same problem. New user, Windows 7. CC gets to 19% and just stalls. Sat all night long and didn't go any further. Can you help?
  24. You did not answer my question. On Virustotal TWO engines are reporting Speccy installer as a TROJAN, This is nothing like the chrome toolbar or whatever. I am talking about TROJANS. It is up to you to liase with the relevant antivirus companies to get them to remove the wording.
  25. The last news we had from a staff member was on the 14th, which said the new server was being brought online over last weekend. In the meantime the incorrect pop-ups had been stopped, and we have stopped seeing complaints about them. You should no longer see these incorrect messages. I've asked the staff for an update on progress with the new server installation.
  26. Can anybody confirm that this has indeed been fixed? I will try to enter my product code again tonight when I get home from work
  1. Load more activity