CCleaner Registry cleaning question

Mistress

Hi!

I am a new user of ccleaner. I love it! Ilike the way it finds bad registry files, that my other registry cleaner does not.

This is my delema... I surf tons of websites and do a bit of website design. I have hundreds of entries similar to the ones below.

Is it safe to delete ALL of the entries that are listed? When I say hundreds I mean hundreds! LOL

Thank you for your feedback!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/FileExts/.htpasswd-bak/

|

OpenWithList

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/FileExts/.com/pub/pc/winxp/netutil/

|

OpenWithList

or a little different

H_K_C_R/.DSG or H_K_C_R/SysmonLogManager.Snapin

**My Karma Ran Over My Dogma**

Hello Mistress,

Don't forget that with the issues scan you are prompted to make a back up which you can restore at any time you choose.

Hi!

I tried to delete a few of the strange entries: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.\OpenWithList]

"a"="DVDx.exe"

"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.1\OpenWithList]

"a"="NOTEPAD.EXE"

"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.68/adultpleasureseekers/]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.68/adultpleasureseekers/\OpenWithList]

"a"="iexplore.exe"

"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.DSG]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SysmonLogManager.Snapin]

=============

I wish I knew what they all meant. I know some are website URLs and URL directories, but things like the .DSG and the SysmonLogManager.Snapin I have NO idea what they are!

I found some info on the SysmonLogManager.Snapin here. The last entry by Samlar offers a solution to fixing the issue. I'm guessing it would also be OK just to let Ccleaner remove it since it doesn't appear to be needed but using the fix in the post may be the safest way to go just in case.

In general Ccleaner is very conservative with the entries it flags for removal and they are almost always safe to remove. As hazelnut said if you have doubts you can allow Ccleaner to create a backup before cleaning when it asks. You could also create a System Restore Point if you wish.

A lot of forum members create registry backups with ERUNT which is an excellent [and fast] registry backup utility. It can also be set to create a backup whenever the computer boots and it doesn't use a lot of memory and resources like System Restore does.

I found some info on the SysmonLogManager.Snapin here. The last entry by Samlar offers a solution to fixing the issue. I'm guessing it would also be OK just to let Ccleaner remove it since it doesn't appear to be needed but using the fix in the post may be the safest way to go just in case.

In general Ccleaner is very conservative with the entries it flags for removal and they are almost always safe to remove. As hazelnut said if you have doubts you can allow Ccleaner to create a backup before cleaning when it asks. You could also create a System Restore Point if you wish.

A lot of forum members create registry backups with ERUNT which is an excellent [and fast] registry backup utility. It can also be set to create a backup whenever the computer boots and it doesn't use a lot of memory and resources like System Restore does.

Thank you! I will look up the info on SysmonLogManager.Snapin as soon as I am done posting.

This is funny that you posed about the ERUNT product as I just got it, and, in my other post, hazelnut posted the same product LOL! Must be good!

Thanks again!!!

/FileExts/ registry entries that CCleaner finds are left by files you dealing with, that aren't associated with any programs (open with...). once you choose to that file program to open with,it's no longer unnessesary registry key. example, open .bak with notepad and so on...

so those /FileExts/ entries that CCleaner or some other reg. cleaner finds,are SAFE to delete.

/FileExts/ registry entries that CCleaner finds are left by files you dealing with, that aren't associated with any programs (open with...). once you choose to that file program to open with,it's no longer unnessesary registry key. example, open .bak with notepad and so on...

so those /FileExts/ entries that CCleaner or some other reg. cleaner finds,are SAFE to delete.

Thank you all! :)