Event ID 80

berryracer

I saw many instances of this error in the Event Viewer on my Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x64) Alienware 18 laptop:

Activation context generation failed for "D:\Software\CCleaner 5.01.5075\CCleaner64.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.

I don't even have CCleaner installed, I just use the portable version

I was getting this error in my event log as well, but I found a work around. I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus software, and I placed the MSE location (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe) in the "excluded files" settings in MSE, and I haven't had the SxS error since.

Getting more or less the same here

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Andy\Utilities\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest.

May well revert back to an older version ofCCleaner. Two reasons, it'll get rid of the errors and I'll have a nicer gui to look at :)

Below errors is what I get when I installed the latest slim version of CCleaner after it became available and since then the same error showed up every day in the Event Viewer.  So I uninstalled it, installed older versions several times and still got the errors shown below. 

Error    31/12/2014 12:17:42 AM    SideBySide    80    None

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.

Then when I call up Show Up Hidden Icons, I see that CCleaner monitoring is active even after I unticked the box for it in CCleaner itself.  That icon seems to be stuck and won't be removed when uninstalling CCleaner.

All the above same problems also showed when I deleted the current CCleaner and installed older version(s).

Currently I am running the latest CCleaner slim.

Hopefully there will be a fix coming from CCleaner? 

Error    31/12/2014 12:17:42 AM    SideBySide    80    None

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.

I decided to post the above anyway to make it easier to read.  Please refer back to my previous posts to read about the other stuff.

Sorry and thank you.

• Moderators

Just for info grandma, as far as I know Monitoring has to be turned off for all users on a machine. For example if there are 3 users on a machine you would have to go into each account and turn monitoring off.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut, that was what I did immediately after installing CCleaner.  Options, Monitoring and unticked the 2 boxes in there which were ticked in the first place.  There's only 1 account on this PC and that's me.  So that is not working for me.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to you.

It could be that the problem is solved. 

Uninstalled CCleaner, rebooted,ran rebuild iconcache, installed CCleaner slim again,rebooted and checked the event manager.  So far no errors shown in the event viewer.  Hope it will continue like this.  If not, I'll be back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So are we still waiting for a solution for this annoying SidebySide EventID: 80 Error??

until a new version is released - Yes, but even then, there is no guarantee a fix will be included.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

On my laptop sxs  event id 78

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Anyfile\ccleaner\CCleaner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9926.0_none_2203b4f072dcfff0.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9926.0_none_da567e195e60d6ea.manifest.

Started with win10 build 9926 install so I just switched to ccleaner portable and the above error continues.