CCleaner is installing malware

gsolo

I had been a ccleaner user for many years, I recently updated and trusted the integrity of piriform, to my surprise, they installed WITHOUT EXPLICIT CONSENT a few :ph34r: malware :ph34r:  into my PC, TROVI and SAFE SEARCH, they are blacklisted software that changes your search engine and fakes your browser to make you believe your pc is at risk.

Removing them is not as simple as uninstalling them. SHAME ON YOU. :angry: 

Piriform failed me, I trusted you, and no more.

Do not upgrade, do not install CCleaner. It is becoming another facebook that violates your trust!!!

• Moderators

Before you go around making accusations like that it would be polite to give a sort of timetable of what exactly happened.

Also what operating system you use.

How you obtained the update.

Where you got it from.

CCleaner does NOT install any of those things so we need to know how you managed to get them on your machine.

Stay calm, and give us the facts without shouting in red okay?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner does NOT install any of those things so we need to know how you managed to get them on your machine.

Hazelnut is correct but users should please keep in mind that ESET will indicate a warning for Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D when downloading the normal installer.

But this can be over come by downloading the Slim (toolbar free) or Portable version from here.

The Slim version usually is available a week after the normal installer.

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• Moderators

And what was the file name of the executable you ran to install this fake CCleaner software?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

And where did it come from? 

This information will help others avoid the trouble you had. 

Also, members here will point you toward help getting rid of any malware you have.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Gillarm, I would suggest running adwcleaner to help you kill those. That being said, make sure you download CCleaner either from FileHippo, CNET, or Piriform. To guarantee not being mislead by ads (FileHippo apparently has many if you don't run an ad blocker), download directly from Piriform.com. The executable should be called ccsetup414.exe

OK, but for gsolo or gillarm or anybody, can you help by providing the name of the exe and where you got it? 

Its not for me, I don't work for Piriform, but it might help others avoid problems. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the file was NOT called ccsetup414.exe and that it was NOT downloaded from Piriform or Filehippo.

Good chance it's a PICNIC issue.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the file was NOT called ccsetup414.exe and that it was NOT downloaded from Piriform or Filehippo.

Good chance it's a PICNIC issue.

All the world loves a risk taker.  :P

I'll sitck my neck out a bit and wager we don't hear from gsolo or gillarm again. 

• 6 months later...

It most certainly does install unwanted items, in fact you have to tell it NOT to do so, IF you make sure you download what it calls the 'slim' version.  Also, contrary to it's claims, removes your favorites.  Every time someone criticizes CCleaner on these blogs, someone comes and beats them up instead of helping them. "it's your system", "you are stupid", "prove it to me".   That I have noticed.  The same way the moderator here bullied you.    Google the thousands of complaints on the Internet about CCleaner problems.

• Moderators

LadyDaisy ccleaner doesn't install unwanted items, you are asked when installing for the first time if you wish to install the toolbar. 

Note I said 'for the first time' because you are not asked again after that on any subseqent updates.

I have removed the post you made today where you posted in a thread that has had no posts in it for 4 and a half years.

Can you please start a new thread with your issue then your are more likely to get advice and replies than if

you just tag a post onto an old thread  :)

A lot of people do already use the slim build and are very grateful that  Piriform still agrees to provide it and

the free version despite the costs of hosting it.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Would you please point out in this thread that we are in now where I bullied someone please?

(I presume you must be referring to me as I am the only moderator who has posted in this thread)

Also could you point out a post where someone is told they are stupid?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The only software EVER bundled with Piriform software is Google's toolbar or Chrome.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

and there has always been the option to untick them.

1-CCleaner removed all my Favorites.   I could find nothing in the Simple Free Version that shows anything about Favorites, neither to remove nor not remove them.  I have Windows 7, IE 11.

2-Around the Internet as I googled for this issue, I saw many people getting 'beaten up' for even suggesting CCleaner does that yet many saying it happened to them.  They are coming for help and getting bullied.

3-In Cookies, I put to the right side of the column which cookies/passwords I wanted saved ie: Banking/PayPal/etc for my passwords.  It removed them all and ignored that I said save them.   Luckily, I have all my passwords written down.  

Luckily I have my favorites on a Flash Drive but now there is no safe way to be certain my passwords and future favorites will not be removed.   Registered so I could get some response from Piriform/CClearner.  Was curious to see what would be said and how badly I would be beaten up over it.   "its your system", "you are stupid", etc.   From the thousands who have this same thing happen to them, I'm surprised CCleaner gets it's high ratings.

i don't think it's happened here :P

• 1 year later...

I have faced the same situation recently, in the meantime I have decided to remove CCleaner until there's a formal statement from its developers, I have used with great success this software for several years now therefore I feel a bit surprised to see, on two separate checks carried out using Malwarebytes antimalware that there was malware on CCleaner references.

Hope to hear from you soon.

• Moderators

Dude, there's no malware. What your seeing is either a general warning given for potentially dangerous software (due to registry function) or the bundled google software. Everything said above, almost two years ago, still applies. If you got ccleaner from piriform there is zero chance of malware

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

you need to provide more info please.

what is your "same situation?

what formal statement are you excepting Piriform to address?

what malware was found on "CCleaner references"?

the more info you can provide, the better members of this forum can help you.

so please include, OS version, CC version, and your issue with CC.

@ ticomilitar et al

I just downloaded and installed CCleaner free, and updated CCleaner pro.

Both are now version 5.16.551.

I did not see the google offers because CCleaner has been installed before. 

But if those do show up, it's easy to uncheck the boxes. 

Then used MBAM and Avast to scan the installer exe files for the slim, portable, and installed versions.

Then scanned the installed folders in C:\Program Files.

No malware. 

I've gone through these steps several times in the past, and NEVER found malware in a CCleaner file.

Soooo, if you have a malware issue, it didn't come from an authentic CCleaner installation. 

You may have gotten a bogus installer file.  It may have installed malware. 

If so, go to this link, scroll down to item #10, and see how to get your malware removed. 

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=5

• Moderators

The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) scan log can be posted on this forum for what's detected, it would help Piriform determine what's going on and to get into contact with Malwarebytes to remove any false positive detection. Without posting the log and what was detected this will go absolutely nowhere.

You can also submit false positives to any anti-virus and anti-malware vendor where they can on their end determine if it's a false positive and then remove the detection.

Also relying upon an anti-virus/anti-malware to phone home automatically any false positives (hard to believe in 2016 they don't do this) from what I've seen just doesn't work, at all. Instead the end-user has to interact by supplying the vendor with the file that's detected in order for the false positive to be removed or deemed malware.

Then scanned the installed folders in C:\Program Files.

Most software I've seen gets detected via the setup exe file, however once unpacked/installed the anti-virus/anti-malware finds nothing wrong. One of the main reasons I primarily don't bother with installing software anymore and instead prefer a Portable zip version.

For the love of all things good in this world and universe .....

This is staring to become a stereo type of a topic "CCleaner is installing malware.........................."

Lets face it, people do not read, and their short term memory does not develop into long term storage what so ever.

Most people only create an account and post ONE thing.

That one thing is to complain on a topic that has been dead for a while, resurrected, DIED and guess what, brought back alive, again. A real Lazarus effect they are having here.

I am going to say something knowingly it may cause a problem or two.

Do you people read ?

and yes I am referring to you ticomilitar, LadyDaisy.

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!