CHKDSK correcting error in index $130 for file 6266

RichieRhymes

hi

i dropped my Toshiba Satellite C660 whilst on from about 1.5 meters

it will boot but O/S won't load, tried all the repair options

currently work through chkdsk

got the following repeated line during Chkdsk

CHKDSK is verifying indexes <stage 2 of 3>....

56 percent complete <365480 of 466642 entries processed

been like this for about 4 hours at time of posting

1. Any past ex[erience? solutions

2. how can I run reccuva?  can I run it from  a usb?...disk drive is in use by the windows disk to get to the 'repair' stage

thanks in advance

Hello Richie and welcome to the forum. I noticed that nobody has replied to your post so far, and I think it's for this reason: they don't want to be the bearer of bad news. Hard drives are not very tolerant of voltage spikes, power losses, or sudden physical shocks. Dropping a hard drive from even a few inches onto a hard surface can cause internal mechanical damage. That being said, let's try to make the best of the situation and see what can be done.

First, when you ran chkdsk, did you use any command line options, such as /f (to fix errors) or /r (to attempt to relocate data from damaged sectors to good ones), or did you just enter "chkdsk"? The correct syntax is "chkdsk C: /f /r" (Some people claim that /r implies /f, but I use both just in case they're wrong.)

Second, if you know who the drive's manufacturer is, you might try using their own diagnostic software to get a better idea of what is wrong. And don't automatically assume that it's a Toshiba drive just because it's a Toshiba laptop. You should open the bottom cover and verify what brand it is if you're not 100% sure. If you do find that it is made by Toshiba, try using the utility DOS Diagnostic Tool ver. 7.0, you will probably need to install it to a CD, DVD, or USB stick in order to boot it. Look for a "read me" text file for instructions when you unzip it. The link is here: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities#diagnostic

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

can you hear the drive when it is doing the chkdsk?

is there a clicking noise or a repetitive mechanical noise?

if there is something like a click-click........click-click, you are in dire straights.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Hi Richie, and welcome to the forum.

Maybe before you try any repair options you should recover your personal data from that drive, and in this case Recuva is of no use to you.

You need to boot that computer with a "Rescue CD" which has the ability to copy files from it to another drive. Not another partition in this case but a separate internal or external drive.

There are many rescue CD's out there, but a very user friendly one with the ability to boot a computer and transfer files is "Rescue Kit Express 11 Free Edition".

This is the home site ...

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

However, to open the downloaded exe file to extract the ISO file, Paragon insist that you register with them to obtain a free licence key.

Of course you can do that if you wish, but if you don't want to jump through hoops you can download the ISO in a simple ZIP file here ...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tagxf0

You will need to burn the ISO (Image file) to a CD as an Image with something like "ImgBurn" (freeware).

ImgBurn: (portable version)

Just run the downloaded file and it will install to a folder in the location of your choice.

If you need any help, I have a series of photographs showing the entire process stage by stage after booting a computer with it.