CCleaner crash when cleaning TEMP/TMP files on SoftPerfect's Ram Disk.

Nemix

Cleaner hangs and gives error then crashes when trying to clean Windows Temporary Files Folder (TEMP/TMP) when relocated to SoftPerfect's Ram Disk.

Works for Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer cache on SoftPerfect's Ram Disk but when I changed the enviromentals for TEMP/TMP CCleaner gives an error and crashes when trying to Clean.

Sometimes even acts oddly and does not Clean Firefox and Chrome's history too when Firefox and Chrome's web cache is relocated to SoftPerfect's Ram Disk.

Key features of the RAM Disk:
  • Any number of RAM disks. In practice, up to 26 disks due to the number of drive letters available.
  • Any RAM disk size on 64-bit systems. Up to approximately 3.5 GB on 32-bit systems.
  • Persistent RAM disks with an associated on-disk image.
  • Volatile RAM disks whose content disappears on shutdown.
  • Built-in disk image manipulation tools.
Five very good reasons to use the RAM Disk:
  1. Higher PC performance. Provided you have got a sufficient amount of RAM, using a fast in-memory disk for temporary data will boost the computer performance.
  2. Reduced file system fragmentation. The file system on your hard disks will be far less fragmented as temporary files are never written to the hard disk.
  3. Reduced wear-and-tear of the physical disk. As temporarily files are not written to the hard disk, there will be fewer read/write cycles, which is especially important for prolonging the life of Solid State Drives (SSD) installed in some laptops.
  4. Less junk on the hard disk. Often software applications create temporary files that remain undeleted although no longer needed. The contents of RAM disks is cleared every time the computer is restarted or switched off.
  5. Less noise and heat from the hard disk because the system will use the hard disk less intensively.

• Moderators

Nope, did not answer anything (other than you know how to copy/paste :P )

The point is, it's kept on the RAM chips thus destroyed at reboot? Am I correct?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nope, did not answer anything (other than you know how to copy/paste :P ) The point is, it's kept on the RAM chips thus destroyed at reboot? Am I correct?

Post #2 gives a quote BUT regrettably no link to indicate relevance to this topic.

On the assumption that this quote actually applies to a SoftPerfect RamDisk then :-

"Volatile RAM disks whose content disappears on shutdown." :-

Content on RAM chips is destroyed at Reboot,

so there is no point in using CC to clean the contents

"Persistent RAM disks with an associated on-disk image." :-

Content on RAM chips may be preserved before shutdown in a disk image for restoration after reboot,

in which case CC might be useful.

• Moderators

Yes, I thought he was replying to a post I made in this topic which I obviously (now that I look) I never posted...it was still in drafts :lol:.I had (in my mind only I guess) asked "doesn't it living on the RAM make it a bad candidate for needed the helpful hand of ccleaner"

dang...i forgot to provide the link to the source and yes, it is from http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/i thought it is enough to bold the line which will answer the question :P
Sadly the tapatalk app does show all the highlighting - or quote or code tags or hard returns or forward slashes GAH!! - thus broadening my confusion.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com