Request could not be performed because of a device I/O error.

MarkR

Hi, I just went through a long scan process that showed all the files lost from an external Seagate drive. However, it won't let me recover them due to an "I/O error."

I understand that error in basic terms, but what does it mean in terms of my chances of recovering the files? They all show up with actual (non-zero) file sizes.

Is there anything I can do to restore the files?

Thanks,

Mark

More information is needed. Do you encounter the i/o error on a certain file? OR is it "across the board" when trying to recover any file? What O/S are you using? And what does the S.M.A.R.T. data look like? Any cautions or warnings?

I think recovery prospects are excellent, the i/o error may span just one file and one sector, and only that file would be less likely to be recovered. But if the error is spanning across a system $metafile, then more sophisticated recovery techniques are needed. But I feel the bulk of your data is intact on the disk, with perhaps damage to one single file.

Since I may not respond in a timely manner perhaps other forum members want to contribute too. A final word before I run off, don't use this disk. The more it's powered on and accessed, the less chance you've got.

Perhaps your External Drive stops spinning its disc as a power saving measure whilst waiting for something to do,

and your I/O error is NOT from the drive holding the files you have chosen to restore but the drive that Recuva is trying to write to.

I suggest that after you have SCANNED and selected what you wish to restore,

AND BEFORE you try to RESTORE,

You first launch Windows Explorer and create a file or folder on the External Drive so that it starts spinning again,

and then when the External is ready you can launch the RESTORE action.