System restore in tools gets blank screen?

The system restore in tools comes up as a blank screen.

What file association is missing from my computer to make this display?

It used to work but I think ccleaner deleted something that allows it to display.

WinXP home sp-3

I too have a blank screen because I chose to disable System Restore.

Is your System Restore still functional ?

Can Windows still offer to take your system back to a previous Restore Point or have they all gone ?

V3.20.1750 latest version

I think they disapeared last version

Yes I can run system restore and create restore points manually and automaticly after hot fix tuesdays

This also happened a few years ago but then they came back for a long while but now are gone from the ccleaner page again.

• 2 weeks later...

AS usual, I fixed this myself.

I had DCOM service turned off which in turn does not supply the system restore points to be observed.

As soon as I turned it back on,all of my restore points could be seen.

Thanks to me.

CCleaner shows a blank screen for my system restore points as wel. It only happened after i did the latestupdate. I'm using windows 7 home premium though and not xp. I remember when this happened a long time ago too but forgot how i fixed it.

I know it really annoyed me to no end until I fixed it...myself as well. And it's annoying me nowtoo since I forgot how i fixed it the last time.

• Moderators

enable dcom service as stated two posts up

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Yeah, it's not disabled. Never has been. It's automatic. Something has wiped out my restore points since updating and running the latest version of ccleaner. Might be something in the winapp2.ini file since i updated that as well without first reviewing it.. That's the only thing that changed from the time I had restore points until the time that I did not besides the ccleaner update itself.

Thanks though.

That's the only thing that changed from the time I had restore points until the time that I did not besides the ccleaner update itself.

That can only be true if you prohibit Microsoft Updates,

which 50% of the time trash Windows so bad I have to restore a partition image backup.

That can only be true if you prohibit Microsoft Updates,

which 50% of the time trash Windows so bad I have to restore a partition image backup.

Right. And yes, I do prohibit them. I usually just wait for them to come out and do them myself.

I don't know. I'll figure it out.

Alan, that was wrongfully stated. MS updates have nothing to do with the restore points disappearing in XP.

I have seen them disappear with or without it turned on, for varying reasons.

If you wish to re-install system restore service for XP, see here: -> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairsr.htm

I think he was talking about my reference to the fact that nothing had changed on my system besides the ccleaner/winapp2.ini.

Obviously microsoft updates change ones system when left unattended to run amuk. :rolleyes:

Too much confusion and miscommunication sometimes leads to the original issue being spun six ways from Tuesday and ignored. As I said, I'll figure it out. Was just adding to the thread because I too have the same problem. Doesn't mean that the fix is the same as someone elses or is conforming to an alternate operating systems resolution to the problem.

• Moderators

Yeah, it's not disabled. Never has been. It's automatic. Something has wiped out my restore points since updating and running the latest version of ccleaner. Might be something in the winapp2.ini file since i updated that as well without first reviewing it.. That's the only thing that changed from the time I had restore points until the time that I did not besides the ccleaner update itself.

Thanks though.

Do you have Wipe Free Space checked off in the Advanced section of the windows tab?

There is nothing (to the VERY best of my Knowledge) in Winapp2.ini that would delete restore points

Agreed! If you allow MS to install whatever they want, your system WILL become a useless brick.

Enough Side-lining the issue here, please

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com