Anyone use Nitro PDF Reader (free beta)?

slowday444

I'm trying it out right now on an XP machine. So far, so good. It has some nice features -- particularly if you're a fairly heavy pdf user. On occasion, I've encountered a few problems in properly rendering layered pdfs, but I think Nitro is aware of this and plans to address/add the "missing component(s)" in a future release. Truth is that it's a little too soon for me to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I'm trying it out right now on an XP machine. So far, so good. It has some nice features -- particularly if you're a fairly heavy pdf user. On occasion, I've encountered a few problems in properly rendering layered pdfs, but I think Nitro is aware of this and plans to address/add the "missing component(s)" in a future release. Truth is that it's a little too soon for me to give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I'm a long time PDF-Xchange user but this one just caught my eye today. I'm going to give it a spin this week.

• Moderators

Also a Foxit user although I had a look at this under Returnil.

I'm not a big PDF user so my continued preference for Foxit is based upon my own usage, and the simple fact that Foxit just looks better.

The one thing I didn't like is that it installs a service which is set to run automatically with Windows.

I can never see the necessity for that.

While on the subject of Foxit has anyone tried their PDF Creator??

It won't install on my PC or VirtualBox I've also tried earlier versions of the software but same problem.

It starts to install but halts stating I need administrator privileges which is bs because I am administrator.

FYI: it turns out it was kicking a fuss because I had disabled the "Print Spooler Service" doh. :blink:

Richard S.

While on the subject of Foxit has anyone tried their PDF Creator??

It won't install on my PC or VirtualBox I've also tried earlier versions of the software but same problem.

It starts to install but halts stating I need administrator privileges which is bs because I am administrator.

Richard S.

Just tried to install Foxit PDF Creator here. Want a substitute for Adobe. :-) Thanks for the links.

- Installer creates 4 files: fpc_wordaddin.dll, Registration.exe, uninstall.exe, FXCPrivate_5be9.ini.

- None of these make the program run. :-)

- Registration.exe causes a popup box inviting you to register or keep evaluating. Neither button works.

- Guess you pay for the trial. ??

Last night tried NitroPDF, PDF-XChangeViewer, Foxit Reader 4.0.0.619. Very brief try out shows that:

- They all try to install as the default PDF app.

- PDF-XChangeViewer tries to install the ASK toolbar, but if you uncheck both boxes separately it won't.

- One big difference is that Nitro will extract images to a folder, I guess they have to be .jpg, .bmp, etc??

- It is only one that will do that, correct me if thats wrong...

- With the others you must select, snapshot, and paste to a picture editor...or select the area to copy?

- And even with Nitro some of the images don't get estracted, for example an exploded diagram.

- I like the way PDF-XChangeViewer handles text insertion best, but Foxit is good, too.

- Didn't notice much difference in speed.

Thank goodness for Powershadow, Returnil, etc.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

PDF X-Change Viewer also has some nice features, but several of them are only available in the "Pro" version. One thing I have noticed, however, is that it is rather slow opening pages of a multi-page document -- at least it seems that way with the portable version.

Redhawk, did you get Foxit PDF Creator to install? I keep getting the same results I posted earlier, must be doing something wrong. Print spooler is running. WXP home sp3. Get no warnings from Outpost or Avast!.

Any ideas?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Yes it's installed but like I said needs "Print Spooler Service" due to a printer drive it installs.

Since the error message was rather unhelpful I did some searching on the support forum to find the answers.

I'm not sure what's causing your problems but have a look at the forum perhaps someone has a solution.

While on the subject of creating PDFs I had no success with using Nitro any attempt at converting files results in the program crashing. :(

Richard S.

• Moderators

While on the subject of creating PDFs I had no success with using Nitro

If you need a freeware PDF creation software that works similarly to Microsoft Word perhaps look into Tomahawk PDF+ Freeware Version. You'll of course need the optional dictonaries on the download page if you want to spell check. If placing images in a PDF I've found that I must use BMP otherwise the images won't display correctly in the saved PDF. Also don't expect high image quality of imported images, it really squashes them making them somewhat blurry, but hey it's free.

Thank you, Andavari, got it. Looks like a Pretty Doggone Fine PDF app. :-)