Help! Out of memory

maxs139

Hi. I'm running windows xp 32bit with 3.5GB of ram and I'm trying to recover a 750GB hard drive. But right when it's going to analyze or at the end of searching it says "out of memory" on the bottom of the window. And shows no files. What's going on here? Oh and deep scan Is enabled any suggestions?

Hi. I'm running windows xp 32bit with 3.5GB of ram and I'm trying to recover a 750GB hard drive. But right when it's going to analyze or at the end of searching it says "out of memory" on the bottom of the window. And shows no files. What's going on here? Oh and deep scan Is enabled any suggestions?

For windows Try not to run other programs when recovering. Make your pagefile to be twice your RAM i.e 7GB. Make the initial size equal to the maximum size so that it does not make cycles increasing the Pagefile upto the maximum limit of 7GB. Use your hard drive a slave or flash drive for faster performance via the usb or SATA. Kind reply back on progress. :rolleyes:

For windows Try not to run other programs when recovering. Make your pagefile to be twice your RAM i.e 7GB. Make the initial size equal to the maximum size so that it does not make cycles increasing the Pagefile upto the maximum limit of 7GB. Use your hard drive a slave or flash drive for faster performance via the usb or SATA. Kind reply back on progress. :rolleyes:

No other programs are running. Pagefile has already been set to maximum. And windows xp does not support ready boost. As far as I know of. I may be running windows xp 32bit. But I actually have 6GB of ram (the other hard drive had vista 64bit) is it possible it's trying to use that ram? It says it has 3.5GB the maximumm ram detected by a 32bit operating system. But maybe it sees more. For some reason. I'm not sure I've never had this problem before. I want to get my stuffs off my other hard drive so I can install Linux! Windows winBlows! Thanks for the help any other suggestions will be appreciated. I'm may try installing a 64bit operating system.

i was readin that a program can make see all GIG's for xp...in my case i'm limited to 768..and you have a lot..

i wish to have the same...but

well this program has a lso a free app.,,read firt,it may help you

"This is suitable for applications such as P2P download. It can also detect the memory which is invisible to OS when your system has 4GB RAM or above. "

"Today, since the price of Random Access Memory (RAM) is cheaper and cheaper, more and more people would like to install 4G or more RAM for their desktops or laptops, trying to obtain higher computer performance. However because of the limitations of 32-bit IBM PC architecture, to access full 4G physical memory or more, the CPU processor must support Physical Address Extension (PAE), as well as the North-bridge Chip must have the Memory Remapping feature.

Even the hardware has enabled these features, the operating system may still constrain the full use of the large memory. The following table lists the maximum memory supported by different Windows "

LINK

i was readin that a program can make see all GIG's for xp...in my case i'm limited to 768..and you have a lot..

i wish to have the same...but

well this program has a lso a free app.,,read firt,it may help you

"This is suitable for applications such as P2P download. It can also detect the memory which is invisible to OS when your system has 4GB RAM or above. "

"Today, since the price of Random Access Memory (RAM) is cheaper and cheaper, more and more people would like to install 4G or more RAM for their desktops or laptops, trying to obtain higher computer performance. However because of the limitations of 32-bit IBM PC architecture, to access full 4G physical memory or more, the CPU processor must support Physical Address Extension (PAE), as well as the North-bridge Chip must have the Memory Remapping feature.

Even the hardware has enabled these features, the operating system may still constrain the full use of the large memory. The following table lists the maximum memory supported by different Windows "

LINK

Yes I'm aware of PAE. It's nor easy or a good idea. And there's no guarentee it will work. So I'd rather just install 64 bit windows.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem as maxs and John. Midway through a Deep Scan, the program stops and reports a "Ran out of memory" error in the information footer. No other programs were run during the Deep Scan, malware real-time protection was disabled, page-file minimum and maximum values are equal to the 960 MB of RAM, and the hard drive is 95% free. Perhaps increasing the page-file would solve this problem?

• 2 months later...

Yeap just downloaded Piriform Recuva,

I'm getting the same error as the people in this forum, I have XP Pro on a SATA 300gb hard drive with 2gb of DDR2 RAM, humming along with a Intel E6550 Core 2 Duo @ 2.33GHz CPU and a NIVIDA Geforce 8800 GTS Video card :D

Part II.. Okay theres been no reply for awhile now, and I thought I would add to this post.

I have done every thing suggested and thats it.. I have some important documents & precious family photos some where hidden on the hard drive. please help :unsure:

:P Hi All

All in all This is a Great program...and its Free!

dispite the message after search saying "Ran out of memory"

I did notice that after several scans the app would stop and give the meassage "Ran out of memory"..

and that the Program had scanned well over 275000 files which was roughly around 34% to 40% of my 160 gig seagate sata drive..

Funny really had Know trouble scanning my 2 other seagate 160gig sata drives or my 3 other seagate 500gig sata drives..

Just That one drive Recuva failed to scan With the Ran out of memory message..

Also i only selected to scan for video files...

hope this helps..

Doubt if i will be back here for awhile..

But i am going to try out another freebie app

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/0...overy-software/

ZUME

• 1 year later...

I see this topic is a little old but I also recently had the "out of memory" error and here is what i was working with and worked for me.

Working with a failed IOMEGA 1TB (this is an external USB drive with two 500GB sata drives in a JBOD array inside the case and the USB to SATA controller card had failed) Doesn't it suck when your nearly new just barely out of warranty back up drive fails but yet a 10+ year old WD drive is still kicking?

Anyway I ditched the case and put both HDD in my tower and hooked them directly to my mobo running 1.5GB ram

Using the basic mode of recuva it was unable to read the MFT. Then trying the advanced (deep recovery would take nearly a day and then I would get the dreaded "Out Of Memory Error" both options with no files found.

So my A+ training kicked in and I thought, I might have to reformat the drive as windows could see 2 partitions per drive but could not do anything with it b/c now being 2 seperate drives it saw it as unformatted...and of course windows XP Pro 32bit failed on a quick and a regular format, I thought I was going to lose my files for good, I am not about to pay the high dollar for data recovery - but dont worry the story gets better.

So using Norton Partition Magic 8.0 I was able to delete the partitions that windows did see and then create a new 500GB partition formatted as NTFS...success windows can now see and use it....and just to give myself the best chances of recovery w/o error I changed my min/max page file to maximum reccommended.(I dont reccomend keeping it there - change it back to original when you are finished.)...Now running recuva again, it still found nothing in the basic mode, but alas after a few hours in the advanced mode it found most of the files I was looking for. I did find some of the recovered files were now spilt into multiple files which made them mostly unuseable - I think this is b/c a large file can be stored across several sectors of the HDD. I guess some of them are just going to have to be acceptable losses.

Now probably the bestest part EVER! - Hours and hours of sorting thru what I want and dont want as some files did not retain their original file name they were just assigned a number and recreating the folder structure and organization I once had. But I guess I shouldnt complain, it seems like everyone has to learn the lessons of backing everything up - even the back ups! At least the program worked. Good Luck!

Go Team Venture!