Will CCleaner help with missing dll in WINDOWS 98SE

Gloryvee

Can anyone help me with this problem? I cannot access any WINDOW program like Add/Remove, etc., in a WIN98SE, Pentium II computer because the rundll32.exe is missing.

I get six error windows when I boot up the computer:

1) Cannot find the file 'speedy.pif (or one of its components), make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

1a) Cannot find speedy.pif in WIN.INI file, etc.

2) Cannot find the file 'natall.pif' etc., same as 1)

2a) Cannot find natall.pif in WIN.INI file, etc.

3) Cannot find the file 'puta!!.com' etc., same as 1)

3a) Cannot find puta!!.com in WIN.INI file, etc.

AVG reported speedy.pif, natall.pif and puta!! as viruses and "fixed" it, but now I get these six error windows every time I boot-up the computer.

Does CCleaner work with WIN98SE?

Can CCleaner fix my problem?

By the way I am not using the WIN98SE computer now, I am writing with my WIN XP, no viruses there.

I hope somebody can help me because I am not at all good with WIN98SE.

Thanks

Gloryvee

• Moderators

Hi Gloryvee, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to say I'm finding a great deal of information on the web about speedy.pif and the areas of your PC you mention, and it does come up consistently as a virus, which you may not have removed completely from your PC.

Go to the link below, and follow all the instructions given, and you'll get expert help with this in our Spyware Hell section.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17457

Welcome to Pirform Gloryvee.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I cannot access any WINDOW program like Add/Remove, etc., in a WIN98SE, Pentium II computer because the rundll32.exe is missing.

Does CCleaner work with WIN98SE?

Can CCleaner fix my problem?

By the way I am not using the WIN98SE computer now, I am writing with my WIN XP, no viruses there.

I hope somebody can help me because I am not at all good with WIN98SE.

I'm afraid it does work perfectly with Win98SE Gloryvee, I've been using it a couple of years or more. Don't blame CC on removing your rundll32.exe mine as never moved. You can restore it of your Win98SE CD if you have one its in Win98_46.cab. Everytime your computer starts up if it can't find rundll32.exe then it will through up an error. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi DennisD,

Thank you for your info. My problem is worse than I imagined. I followed your advice and then followed the guide. Unfortunately, I cannot delete my AVG because rundll32 is missing - and I cannot install the new Anti Virus program because when it gets close to the end of the installation the next error message comes up saying: Program C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RARSFX1\BASIC\SETUP.EXE has requested the Ruuntime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I will now go back to the place you suggested and will post above info there to get some help. I really just wanted to thank you for your help. I'll check back here in case you do have another idea to help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Gloryvee

Hi Gloryvee, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to say I'm finding a great deal of information on the web about speedy.pif and the areas of your PC you mention, and it does come up consistently as a virus, which you may not have removed completely from your PC.

Go to the link below, and follow all the instructions given, and you'll get expert help with this in our Spyware Hell section.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17457

• Moderators

Hi Gloryvee, if you already have an AV, which you do, you don't have to uninstall it. You may have misread the instructions (you're not the first).

You will notice that for Step 2 in the guide there is an A and B. You do not have to run them both.

Step 2A is for people who fit into the following category:

- You do not have an antivirus installed on your computer

- Your antivirus program is expired. (you have to uninstall it before starting the guide)

- You just don't like your current antivirus program and want something better. (again you must uninstall it before starting the guide)

Step 2B is for the following categories of people:

-You have an antivirus program that is under license and that you like.

Step 2B is you in this case.

You only need to install AntiVir if you don't already have an AntiVirus program. The one you have, AVG, is fine. I hope that hasn't messed you about too much.

Thanks again, and no, I did not misread the instructions. :P In the past, on my 8200 Dimension, WIN XP computer I had Norton installed and some Virus got by them; don't ask me how. Anyway, I then had a Virus scan done and we found several Trojans and other critters. Remembering that episode from a few years ago, I tried to uninstall AVG on the WIN98SE computer and install your Anti Virus - but no luck there either, I cannot open the Add/Remove program.

The way it looks right now is:

Step 1) - completed (Great little program)

Step 2A - I explained above.

Step 2B - not completed, here's the message: "Program C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\RARSFX1\Basic\Setup.EXE ---

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in

an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team

for more information.

Step 3 - Anti Malware requires WIN NT V4.0 or later, this computer is a Pentium II, WIN98SE.

Step 4 - Hijack this. I ran the program and it has a lot "to say" :( The problem is that I cannot read the saved scan results, because I cannot open up Notepad. The only option is to send it to TrendSecure, if it works.

Hope your day was as "pleasant" as mine. :lol:

Gloryvee

Hi Gloryvee, if you already have an AV, which you do, you don't have to uninstall it. You may have misread the instructions (you're not the first).

Step 2B is you in this case.

You only need to install AntiVir if you don't already have an AntiVirus program. The one you have, AVG, is fine. I hope that hasn't messed you about too much.

In the past, on my 8200 Dimension, WIN XP computer I had Norton installed and some Virus got by them; don't ask me how.

You are talking about WinXP on one computer, now your talking about Win98 do you have a dual boot system? ;)

I believe that if you install AVG v8.0 it will automatically uninstall your 7.5 if installed before hand. The AVG 7.5 does a perfect uninstall I've used it. You only need one virus checker installed else you will have conflicts. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Hi Gloryvee, you're definitely not having a good time.

Keiths suggestion about AVG is pretty sound, and although I'm not sure what your next best step should be, I probably know someone who might be. I'll get back to you.

No. I am communicating with you from my Dimension 8200 XP computer, this one is virus free. I am trying to fix the Pentium II, WIN98SE computer. My XP is fine - the WIN98SE is the problem.

You are talking about WinXP on one computer, now your talking about Win98 do you have a dual boot system? ;)

I believe that if you install AVG v8.0 it will automatically uninstall your 7.5 if installed before hand. The AVG 7.5 does a perfect uninstall I've used it. You only need one virus checker installed else you will have conflicts. ;)

I really would appreciate it, Dennis.

Gloryvee

Hi Gloryvee, you're definitely not having a good time.

Keiths suggestion about AVG is pretty sound, and although I'm not sure what your next best step should be, I probably know someone who might be. I'll get back to you.

Hello Gloryvee :)

It sounds like you definitely have some major malware troubles, alright. As you've also noticed, it's hard to get any good and current tools that still work with that operating system. But now for the good news: Because Windows 98SE is so old, most malware will not even function or install properly on it, plus you don't have to worry about the possibility of rootkits.

So from what I've read, and please correct me if I've read it incorrectly, but as you mentioned the system file rundll32.exe is currently missing, and as a result most programs fail to function correctly, including notepad, which holds the key to making progress here. DDo you by chance have a Windows 98SE cd lying around that we could use to perform a system file check and repair procedure?

unite.jpg

You haven't said if you've sorted your rundll32.exe problem?

Thanks __RiP_ChAiN_ I forgot to mention he can do a SFC (System File Checker) to replace his rundll32.exe, it will always say that setupx.dll is corrupt I've never found out why. If you do a fresh in stall of Win98SE and do a SFC it will always pickup on that file. It replaces it with the file of the CD which is exactly the same, strange. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best