AV TOOLS + OUTLOOK EXPRESS

Atnes

Dear all,

[/color][/font]

After I had finally downloaded avast4home, SpywareBlaster, lavasoft and WinPatrolPLUS to protect my computer a few days ago, my Outlook Express went on strike. While it dilligently receives messages addressed to me, it obstinately (as a mule :rolleyes: ) refuses to send out any messages at all, encouraging my PC to keep sending me the following (always the same) annoying message:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop3.triera.net', Server: 'smtp.triera.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 213.161.0.30 (213.161.0.30:25), connect error 10054', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67.

1.) Does anyone of you perhaps know what this "UNKNOWN ERROR" could actually mean/be?

1. ) Has anyone had any similar experience after downloading AV tools, etc.?

3) If YES, could you please help me and tell me how I might fix it?

4.) Could perhaps my newly (and successfully) installed SP3 ( I run XP Professional) be the culprit of all this?

5.) Where can I check for more details describing this 'unknown' error? (Stupid question, ha... B) )

A friend of mine advised me that maybe I should find (haha! :D ) the Microsoft OE files "somewhere" in the intestines of my hard disk??? - and then examine the Outbox and Sent Items folder files to see if the used spaDear all,

After I had finally downloaded avast4home, SpywareBlaster, lavasoft and WinPatrolPLUS to protect my computer a few days ago, my Outlook Express went on strike. While it dilligently receives messages addressed to me, it obstinately (as a mule :rolleyes: ) refuses to send out any messages at all, encouraging my PC to keep sending me the following (always the same) annoying message:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop3.triera.net', Server: 'smtp.triera.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 213.161.0.30 (213.161.0.30:25), connect error 10054', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67.

1.) Does anyone of you perhaps know what this "UNKNOWN ERROR" could actually mean/be?

4.) Could perhaps my newly (and successfully) installed SP3 ( I run XP Professional) be the culprit of all this? ce in either does not exceed the permitted or default size , which seems to be 2 Giga or so? Does this make any sense to any of you?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers - I really am handicapped without the possibility to send my messages :unsure: .

Best, Atnes

Problems have been reported with ZoneAlarm stopping access to the Internet and other strange things after SP3 install,

Are you running ZoneAlarm?

Posting your messages in color and a weird font makes them had to read.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Not sure whats happened to your post Atnes as regards colour etc.

Perhaps your mail problems may be due to the avast mail shield which uses a proxy I think.

Yes, perhaps. What should I do? Remove it? Or is there any other way to fix the problem?

I understand that my message cannot be read because of the formatiing, so I am resending it (below) - I have removed all formatting including different colours. Maybe this one can read better. Thank You.

Atnes.

_________

After I had finally downloaded avast4home, SpywareBlaster, lavasoft and WinPatrolPLUS to protect my computer a few days ago, my Outlook Express went on strike. While it dilligently receives messages addressed to me, it obstinately (as a mule) refuses to send out any messages at all, causing my PC to keep sending me the following (always the same) annoying message:

2. ) Has anyone had any similar experience after downloading AV tools, etc.?

4.) Could perhaps my newly (and successfully) installed SP3 ( I run XP Professional) be the culprit of all this?

5.) Where can I check for more details describing this 'unknown' error? (Stupid question, ha?)

A friend of mine advised me that maybe I should find (haha!) the Microsoft OE files "somewhere" in the intestines of my hard disk??? - and then examine the Outbox and Sent Items folder files to see if the used space exceeds the permitted or default size, which seems to be 2 Giga or so? Does this make any sense to any of you?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers - I really am handicapped without the possibility to send my messages?

Best, Atnes

Yes, perhaps. What should I do? Remove it? Or is there any other way to fix the problem?

I understand that my message cannot be read because of the formatiing, so I am resending it (below) - I have removed all formatting including different colours. Maybe this one can read better. Thank You.

Atnes.

_________

After I had finally downloaded avast4home, SpywareBlaster, lavasoft and WinPatrolPLUS to protect my computer a few days ago, my Outlook Express went on strike. While it dilligently receives messages addressed to me, it obstinately (as a mule) refuses to send out any messages at all, causing my PC to keep sending me the following (always the same) annoying message:

2. ) Has anyone had any similar experience after downloading AV tools, etc.?

5.) Where can I check for more details describing this 'unknown' error? (Stupid question, ha?)

A friend of mine advised me that maybe I should find (haha!) the Microsoft OE files "somewhere" in the intestines of my hard disk??? - and then examine the Outbox and Sent Items folder files to see if the used space exceeds the permitted or default size, which seems to be 2 Giga or so? Does this make any sense to any of you?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers - I really am handicapped without the possibility to send my messages?

Best, Atnes

Hi Atnes,

My set-up is like yours. WinXP Pro SP3 Avast4Home,SpywareBlaster,WinPatrol. I am not sure what you mean by lavasoft as a separate item.

I am not sure if your Shirlds are on or not.You need to look into all the settings and options.You can stop On-Access Protection maybe to send out your mail and Start it turn it back on .You can do this until you get your options and settings right.(right click on ball)

Any how the one thing I didn't do in the beginning is to left click on that little "blue a ball" or right click for that matter.Left click and select "details".Now you get to see some of those different shields.1 of them is the Outlook/Exchange shield.Now select "customize" for that shield you may need to set some of those options on so your outbound mail will work.I turned my OE and Internet Mail shield off as I don't use it.

You should also check the other Shields like Internet Mail etc. but don't go too far from the defaults is best as far as I am concerned.

You can right click the ball and select "program settings" and then "sounds" and then "disable avast sounds" if you don't like that voice scaring the heck out of you when Avast updates.

SP3 caused me no problems with any of the things you are talking about.Except I don't use OE so may be someone else has a different answer as far as SP3 goes.

Wow,look at all those options and features and such.

Have fun.

:) davey

I'm running Avast and I don't have a problem with Outlook Express ( OE ) on my XP Home nor Pro systems with its email handler active.

It means that OE can not communicate with your ISP's mail servers.

Possible causes

• incoming email port 110 POP3 setting is not set up correctly
  • outgoing email port 25 SMTP is not set up correctly
  • firewall not set up correctly to permit OE to connect to the Internet

SP3 broke the Internet connection for ZoneAlarm and possibly other firewalls.

ISPs have been known to change their email servers names so you should get in touch with your ISP Technical Support to have them help you resolve the problem.

Google

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi Atnes,

My set-up is like yours. WinXP Pro SP3 Avast4Home,SpywareBlaster,WinPatrol. I am not sure what you mean by lavasoft as a separate item.

I am not sure if your Shirlds are on or not.You need to look into all the settings and options.You can stop On-Access Protection maybe to send out your mail and Start it turn it back on .You can do this until you get your options and settings right.(right click on ball)

Any how the one thing I didn't do in the beginning is to left click on that little "blue a ball" or right click for that matter.Left click and select "details".Now you get to see some of those different shields.1 of them is the Outlook/Exchange shield.Now select "customize" for that shield you may need to set some of those options on so your outbound mail will work.I turned my OE and Internet Mail shield off as I don't use it.

You should also check the other Shields like Internet Mail etc. but don't go too far from the defaults is best as far as I am concerned.

You can right click the ball and select "program settings" and then "sounds" and then "disable avast sounds" if you don't like that voice scaring the heck out of you when Avast updates.

SP3 caused me no problems with any of the things you are talking about.Except I don't use OE so may be someone else has a different answer as far as SP3 goes.

Wow,look at all those options and features and such.

Have fun.

Thanks, Davey, thank you so much: you are a true treasure! :rolleyes: I'm going to

try all these options - amd I bet there is a solution among them :-). What do you mean by "ball"? Like in : "You can right click the ball ..."? Maybe "the box"?

Best, Atnes

Thanks, Davey, thank you so much: you are a true treasure! :rolleyes: I'm going to

try all these options - amd I bet there is a solution among them :-). What do you mean by "ball"? Like in : "You can right click the ball ..."? Maybe "the box"?

Best, Atnes

Wow,somehow you didn't get the little Blue ball In your notification area!!!.Or you have the icons tuned off.

You would certainly know the "the little blue A ball" otherwise.I don't start up without it.It is the first icon I see after a reboot.

There is nothing wrong with having a few icons in your notification area.Don't let anybody kid you."20/20 vision and walkin' 'round blind" does not mean you are some "super techie".It means you are very,very short on space or you think "you are sooooo smart that you don't need no stinkin' information" .You know over there by the little clock down on the right.

If you have all you icons turned off, turn them on at least the most important ones like "security".

For right now you can go to Start > All Programs and click on(you guessed it) the "little blue A ball" at avast! Antivirus .

Like YoKenny said you can find that port information at the "Internet Mail" shield and maybe get a hold of you ISP to find out what port number that you need to use.It does seem that it is trying to send out your mail but not connecting with your server.

Good luck and Have fun or why do it.

Wow,somehow you didn't get the little Blue ball In your notification area!!!.Or you have the icons tuned off.

<skip>

You know over there by the little clock down on the right.

Hihihi, hahaha, so THAT's the blue ball - of COURSE I have it

on - down there in the

right corner next to the clock. Ya, and it is blue and it is decorated with an 'a' (lower case). And I would never switch my icons off - without my icons I am lost.

A completely lost woman, hehehe :rolleyes: !

Davey, thank you for your patience. And like YoKenny said

(thank you, YoKenny!), I'll go to the INternet Shield now to find the port information and maybe my ISP. Thank you again! I'll let you know how it all ended :rolleyes: - with a happy end or otherwise.

Best, Atnes

I'm running Avast and I don't have a problem with Outlook Express ( OE ) on my XP Home nor Pro systems with its email handler active.

It means that OE can not communicate with your ISP's mail servers.

Possible causes

• incoming email port 110 POP3 setting is not set up correctly

• outgoing email port 25 SMTP is not set up correctly

• firewall not set up correctly to permit OE to connect to the Internet

SP3 broke the Internet connection for ZoneAlarm and possibly other firewalls.

ISPs have been known to change their email servers names so you should get in touch with your ISP Technical Support to have them help you resolve the problem.

Google

YoKenny, thank you for your reply and great suggesetions. I'll probably have to check with my provider/technical support the settings of incoming and outcoming email ports. I had uninstalled (by add/remove programs) ZoneAlarm before I installed avast, so taht this ZA cannot be the cause. Maybe it is service pack 3 after all - how annoying!

Thanks again, you have been great help!

Best, Atnes

What firewall are you using, Atnes?

Email connectivity problems seem to be most frequently caused by either an incorrectly configured firewall, or the mail SMTP/POP3 settings altered from the defaults.

The former can be fixed by firewall config, the latter by (as suggested above) talking with the ISP, or looking at their online setup instructions/FAQ's etc.

First thing I'd troubleshoot if neither of those actions bears fruit, is to temporarily disable (pause) Avasts email shield, then try the OE "send/receive mail" function. (To pause the relevant shield, right click the blue ball, mouse over "pause provider", sect "internet mail", left click.

What "lavasoft" did you install?

What firewall are you using, Atnes?

Email connectivity problems seem to be most frequently caused by either an incorrectly configured firewall, or the mail SMTP/POP3 settings altered from the defaults.

The former can be fixed by firewall config, the latter by (as suggested above) talking with the ISP, or looking at their online setup instructions/FAQ's etc.

First thing I'd troubleshoot if neither of those actions bears fruit, is to temporarily disable (pause) Avasts email shield, then try the OE "send/receive mail" function. (To pause the relevant shield, right click the blue ball, mouse over "pause provider", sect "internet mail", left click.

What "lavasoft" did you install?

Hi, Tarq57, thank you for your reply. I installed ad-aware 8 -free edition. I use Windows Firewall and avast and Spywareblaster....

I've just tried sending a message again.

and the error message tells me again that my computer cannot connect to SMTP server 213.161.0.30 - but this is not my DNS; my DNSs are

213.161.0.10 and 213.161.0.20 . Would that be the cause? I've checked eversthing I could -network connections, IP netmask, gateway, DNS...everything seems to work and yet the 'send' function doesn't. And yes, I have disabled avast for a while - nothing happened. Yes, next is my ISP on-phone, I guess <_< ..

Thansk again!

All the best, Atnes :)

Interesting 213.161.0.10 is Triera Internet Broadband Network Services Slovenia.

Yes, next is my ISP on-phone, I guess <_<
I'll bet the Help Desk is not somewhere in India where you have to talk to someone that sounds like Peter Sellers in "The Party" :lol:

Give them a call and be patient but persistent and don't believe them if they say there is nothing wrong at their end so you have to re-install the operating system.

IE7Pro user

Interesting 213.161.0.10 is Triera Internet Broadband Network Services Slovenia.

I'll bet the Help Desk is not somewhere in India where you have to talk to someone that sounds like Peter Sellers in "The Party" :lol:

Give them a call and be patient but persistent and don't believe them if they say there is nothing wrong at their end so you have to re-install the operating system.

Yes, dear YoKenny, you are right, this is Network aservices Slovenia, and that's OK! See, I am from Slovenia, the country that was presiding the EU during the last six months, hehehe :D . But - I hope you'll be glad to hear it - I solved my problem an hour ago. Listen: Before I had installed SP3 on July 8th, I followed the instructions and made a system backup. (Good girl!) After NOTHING at all wanted to respond to my endeavours to restore the functions of my OE, I suddenly remembered this backup, and made my last desperate attempt: I recovered the system from the backup, made on July 8th. And - miracle, miracle -my Outlook Express resumed all of its functions! Hard to tell how happy I was!

But: I would like to thank you and all of you for your help and unselfish support. Without your suggestions, I would have given it up long ago. Sincere thanks to all who helped me with advice!

Best, Atnes :)

Yes, dear YoKenny, you are right, this is Network aservices Slovenia, and that's OK! See, I am from Slovenia, the country that was presiding the EU during the last six months, hehehe :D . But - I hope you'll be glad to hear it - I solved my problem an hour ago. Listen: Before I had installed SP3 on July 8th, I followed the instructions and made a system backup. (Good girl!) After NOTHING at all wanted to respond to my endeavours to restore the functions of my OE, I suddenly remembered this backup, and made my last desperate attempt: I recovered the system from the backup, made on July 8th. And - miracle, miracle -my Outlook Express resumed all of its functions! Hard to tell how happy I was!

But: I would like to thank you and all of you for your help and unselfish support. Without your suggestions, I would have given it up long ago. Sincere thanks to all who helped me with advice!

Best, Atnes :)

Psst! Psst! (whisper) Good girl,backups sure make things easier sometimes.

Psst! (whisper) That is also why the experienced user does things 1 at a time. Don't tell anyone. It will be our little secret.

And "The Party" with Peter Sellers is hysterical. :lol:
It was on TVO on Sunday night.

See my discussion about my Pine TV cabinet.

IE7Pro user