Windows XP - Event Manager Error

Tom AZ

Periodically (at least once a day) I get an Error Message in my Event Manager (System). It's Event ID 7000 (Service Control Manager). It reads: "the ASPI32 service failed to start due to the follow error: The system cannot find the file specified.

That statement is probably correct in that I'm quite sure I don't have an ASPI file/driver installed, and I'm not sure what's even trying to access it. I've always been under the impression the Windows XP did not use the ASPI File layer.

Any suggestions?

Some of these errors are damn hard to track down and you have probably already seen the below.

A general note about this event - potentially any service may cause this to be recorded so there could be 1000s of variants. Missing or corrupted files, insufficient rights, missing registry entries, antivirus software, faulty hardware, software bugs and probably many other reasons may cause a service to fail in the starting process. The Service Control Manager that handles the startup of services simply records the failure.

"The system cannot find the file specified." - This event may occur when a service was not uninstalled properly (not removed from the service database). The Service Control Manager is trying to start the service but the executable is not there. Remove the entries for the service from the registry. This may also occur if one of the dependent files are missing or are the for the wrong OS version. For generic information about the "The system cannot find the file specified" error see the link Error code 2.

Event ID