Too Many Spyware Programs?

tommyk

I have Ad-Aware, Spybot, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware, & Spyware Blaster.

I haven't gotten any spyware so I'm assuming all these are doing their job . . . however . . . How much is "too much"?

I got a question for those who got many antispyware programs and also scan with them often. Well, basicly this is just a thought...

It's understable to scan often, if you use (not so safe) IE and also download/install suspicious programs. Then it's most likely, that crap gets on to your system. On the otherhand, if you really don't care about "real-time" safety, then you most likely don't care about scanning either...

If you use safe browser like Opera and Firefox, and use common sense with downloading/installing programs, there's no real danger about crapware. So, like i have said earlier; first make your system (and actions) safe, then you really don't have to worry about crapware (so much). Of course you should scan every now and then, just to be sure. I'm now talking about crapware (spyware, adware, toolbars...) and not about viruses.

Of course you should always have a decent firewall and antivirus.

• Moderators
Of course you should always have a decent firewall and antivirus.

Yeah a third party non-IE based browser like Firefox and Opera help to keep allot of crap out, including of course firewall and antivirus. I personally use the WinXP firewall and don't have a problem.

Very true.

So far, I only use Spybot Search & Destroy, Avast! Anti Virus, and Comodo Firewall; I've had very few spyware problems. I use Firefox so that aids in avoiding spyware, and Avast also can help with malware: it prevented me from downloading malware once (I wasn't aware of the download being malware).

There are several hundreads of thousands of Anti-Spyware programs, but you should probably try some out, pick what you find to be the best, and stick with it.

I am using all freeware programs and I am not having too many problems (none at all actually) as it is.

I have Adaware 2007, Spybot S&D, SUPERAntiSpyware Pro, and SpywareBlaster.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Although this is not on-topic, I have a question for you, Twisted Metal.

I looked at the info on Dial a Fix, but I still don't understand what I should actually use it for. It seems pretty cool (based on what I saw), but I want to know how you feel on the software before I use it.

Thank you for a response, Twisted.

• Moderators
I have Ad-Aware, Spybot, Windows Defender, AVG Anti-Spyware, & Spyware Blaster.

I notice you don't mention a Rootkit scanner, and I'm not sure if any of the programs you mention include one.

One of the other guys might want to help here who have used those applications.

Personally, I'm using Spybot Search & Destroy, Antivir with Rootkit Scanner, and AVG free Rootkit Scanner.

The only things I ever find are tracking cookies, and CCleaner usually gets rid of those.

hey, i have a suggestion.. instead of waiting until Spyware is already on your system, and THEN removing it....

how about blocking the spyware before-hand, before it even gets a chance to go on your computer?

just increase your security.. get a better browser, a firewall, ect..

if you have good security, you will hardly even find anything when you scan your system for spyware... maybe just the occasional tracking cookie

using condoms is better then getting HIV and then trying to treat it!

</bad metaphor>

Why are people so geared towards having an active firewall and antivirus programs? There are better ways to prevent things from getting on your computer - a hardware firewall, your HOSTS file, Firefox/Opera+Adblock, Spybot's Immunize, and SpywareBlaster. Plus you could use a Sandbox if you really wanted to.

Dunno, I have a slightly older computer and it outperforms most other computers because I don't waste any of my resources on background processes and services. I'm running an AMD Athlon 3700+, 2x512MB PC3200 DDR, on a plain-jane 7200RPM IDE hard drive - and my apparent speeds are much higher than people with more powerful processors and larger amounts of RAM and faster hard drives with larger caches because I'm very efficient :).

Just my thoughts.

IPB Image

OP, How much is too much?

If you run too many resident, or startup, or "applications which load a service" type applications, that can cause a performance hit, and with some combinations compatibility issues can cause slowdowns, or worse.

Every time you install an application, it takes up disk space, too, but generally only a tiny percentage of the drive. Still, that's a factor for some.

Of what you have, I'm also using Spybot, AVG, and SpywareBlaster. All good. (Spyware Blaster uses no resource at all, install, update and forget, pretty much.)

I went off AdAware with the 2007 release. Problems, high CPU usage with the service, couldn't register of the forum, uninstalled.

I went off Windows Defender when the MS Antispyware (formerly Giant) finally died.

I have found Asquared, and Superantispyware rather excellent on demand scanners, and resident (paid) versions are also available.

I'm also using the free SpywareTerminator for resident protection and scanning, and have been spyware free since installing it.

Comodo Boclean is liked by some as a resident Antitrojan (no scanning.) Tried it; it's fine, decided I didn't need it.

As mentioned above, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Or the metric equivalent. (Speaking of bad analogies, there was a program doing the rounds a few months ago called "browser condom". Anyway...)

So immunizing, with SpywareBlaster and maybe a hosts file (I use the MVPS and Hostsman), a good two way firewall, a good AV, a resident AS, and having two or three demand scanners just in case is the way I find effective. Others use alternatives, like disk imaging or sandbox applications. There are plenty of ways to stay safe. Do make backups of important stuff.

I also recommend the "noscript" add-on for Firefox. What you choose is up to you. Find the applications you like, that have good reviews, that are well supported, and that work well together on your computer.

• Moderators

At the most I think someone should run a firewall, antivirus and one antispyware program real time.

You can have as many spyware scanners as you want installed but just dont run them resident all the time.(to avoid conflicts and slow down)

I think my guide is pretty good at helping you to secure your pc without running 20 security applications. :D

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/...eprevention.htm

Hi, Tommyk

I have the avg free products: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Rootkit detector.

Also active are Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, and Adaware, and there are a couple of tons of others which are kept inactive.

You didn't mention a firewall, do you have one? I have just switched to Comodo free firewall, I really like it, but would be interested in others' opinions of it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Although this is not on-topic, I have a question for you, Twisted Metal.

I looked at the info on Dial a Fix, but I still don't understand what I should actually use it for. It seems pretty cool (based on what I saw), but I want to know how you feel on the software before I use it.

Thank you for a response, Twisted.

Dial a fix isn't something you should be running on a regular basis. Its a tool to fix common windows errors and it shouldn't ever cause any problems but its better to leave it alone until you have a problem that it says it can fix.

@Targ - Spyware Terminator, though I am somewhat impressed by it, is distributed by a company (Crawler) with a rather sketchy reputation. I personally won't use it on the basis that they used to distribute spyware!

IPB Image

Dial a fix isn't something you should be running on a regular basis. Its a tool to fix common windows errors and it shouldn't ever cause any problems but its better to leave it alone until you have a problem that it says it can fix.

Thank you very much, Rridgely.

@Targ - Spyware Terminator, though I am somewhat impressed by it, is distributed by a company (Crawler) with a rather sketchy reputation. I personally won't use it on the basis that they used to distribute spyware!

I used to have the same opinion of Spyware Terminator that you do until I read the threads on Wilders Security, and saw that it's not listed as a rogue program on Spywarewarrior.com. They even include it in their comparisons:

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

Check out this discussion about the latest version:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....ware+terminator

It's also listed as #3 on Castle Cops wiki of popular anti-spyware and they give it a thumbs up.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_antispyware

I just noticed on the above thread that Google is offering a starter edition of Spyware Doctor, which is an excellent product.

(check out the thread I'm going to post after submitting this post).

I'm currently using Winpatrol Free and Comodo's Boclean in addition to my firewall and AV program for resident scanning.

I'm thinking of reinstalling Spyware Terminator based on the Wilders Thread. I installed it several months ago and wanted to try something else.

I also use Spyware Blaster, have a nice HOSTS file, and occasionally run free versions of Asquared, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware, and AVG Antispyware for on demand scanning.

For those of you who use Spybot, do you activate the Teatimer. It's a great utility, but it sometimes has problems with certain registry strings.

The Spybot forum is very helpful, and if you get a chance, activate it and see if you like it.

I uninstalled the old version of Ad-Aware and based on numerous posts about the bloated new version, I haven't installed it again.

Jago, seen a lot of these sorts of comments concerning ST's "once was rogue" status. It was de-listed at Spywarewarrior over a year ago, the reason for the original listing were the parent company's past association with a known adware vendor. The program itself has never contained malware.

If you're interested, there's an old thread at Wilders concerning this, post 28 is from one of the programs developers and explains the situation fairly well. Old Wilders discussion

• Moderators

I just think of spywareblaster as a doorman that sits on the door of my computer looking at a list to see if the people knocking are allowed in.

Once it's installed you never have to do anything to it apart from download updates every other Wednesday. Just press the enable all protection button after updates and it updates the doormans list.

Never seems to cause any conflicts with anything and is a great little app.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Is Spyware Blaster both a Scanner & Remover, or is it just real-time protection?

SpywareBlaster prevents spyware from installing. It uses Windows registry for that, so it does not run all the time in the background (which is great). It's not a scanner.

For spyware i use just Spyware Blaster and Spybot (for their blocking/immunise functionality) and SuperAntiSpyware for an occasional scan. Use AVG Free for AV and Sygate for firewall. That combined with not downloading anything suspicious (and no P2P) has resulted in no viruses or spyware for over 4 years now

For spyware i use just Spyware Blaster and Spybot (for their blocking/immunise functionality) and SuperAntiSpyware for an occasional scan. Use AVG Free for AV and Sygate for firewall. That combined with not downloading anything suspicious (and no P2P) has resulted in no viruses or spyware for over 4 years now

Thanks guys. I decided not download the Spyware Blaster since it doesn't have a scanner & remover.

However, I just downloaded the Spybot SD and it found a few things that it removed and deleted.

I used to have Spybot years ago, and they certainly have improved through the years. I even changed the skins on the program with the skin options menu! Thumbs up for Spybot! I'm just going use it for scanning and removing spyware, so I disabled the real-time protection. I use AVG for real-time.

SpywareBlaster is must have, if you use IE. It's not so necessary, if you use Opera or Firefox. I use Opera, but i still use SpywareBlaster and also regularly check for updates.

Well, the thing is, I don't want to run 2 spyware programs together at the same time for protection. AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Virus, and of course the windows firewall are the only programs runnng. I have several other scanner & removers that I use on a schedule every night while I'm sleeping.

They are:

AVG -anti virus

AVG -anti spyware

RegCure -registry cleaner

SUPERAntiSpyware

XoftSpySE- anti spyware

Then I wake up to clean computer :D